Dundee Utd & Scotland

Frank Grimes

2 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

10/4/65

England 2-2 Scotland. Dundee United 1-1 Hearts.

I'm not sure if the games kicked off at the same time.

They did as in those days the Wembley game wasn't shown live.  Although thankfully that had changed by the time the next one in 1967 happened.

1965041001 Dundee United 1-1 Tannadice Park

55 minutes ago, Eednud said:

They did as in those days the Wembley game wasn't shown live.  Although thankfully that had changed by the time the next one in 1967 happened.

1965041001 Dundee United 1-1 Tannadice Park

Yeah. I was aware that league games were played on the same day as Scotland v England clashes until the 60s so I did a bit of googling. Aberdeen played Airdrie that day. Rangers, Celtic and Dundee had games on the 7th, as they were the only Scottish clubs with players selected for the international.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is there a reason they played tonight, not tomorrow/another midweek?

It must be unusual nowadays for club games to clash with Scotland internationals, especially a home competitive tie on TV.

The story was that we asked for it to be Wednesday, but with Alloa being part time, they were only available on Tuesday or Thursday, and Thursday was too close to the upcoming games on Saturday.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:39, Mark Connolly said:

The story was that we asked for it to be Wednesday, but with Alloa being part time, they were only available on Tuesday or Thursday, and Thursday was too close to the upcoming games on Saturday.

I dont understand why it had to be played last week though, it could have been any time between now and May

On 25/11/2018 at 15:04, invergowrie arab said:

I dont understand why it had to be played last week though, it could have been any time between now and May

Deferring rearrangement of League games is no longer allowed at Championship level following last year's pile up. Although I would have thought in the circumstances this one could have been held over a wek anyway.

Archived