Queen’s Park v Raith Rovers - Scottish Cup Round 3

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low cross from Matthews, toed in by Buchanan. Bit more patient build up to that one.

The Rovers are trying to pass the ball in their own half, and Queens Park are more than happy to press. It's creating huge amounts of space for the to break in to, but this Rovers side aren't without their errors.

Nisbet an inch away from making it three, again from a breakaway. Header across goal came back off the inside of the far post.

If Armstrong keeps playing like this I'd be astounded if he's not picked up by a Championship team in January. Both goals were really well worked. As much as we've got a completely chaotic defence, it's meant Queens have pressed us high and both times we've found space for Armstrong. I felt the build up for the second in particular was pleasing.

Confident we'll get a third before the end, but I'm also almost certain we'll concede.

If Armstrong keeps playing like this I'd be astounded if he's not picked up by a Championship team in January. Both goals were really well worked. As much as we've got a completely chaotic defence, it's meant Queens have pressed us high and both times we've found space for Armstrong. I felt the build up for the second in particular was pleasing.

Confident we'll get a third before the end, but I'm also almost certain we'll concede.
Thought he was decent in his wee cameos with us last year and slightly surprised we didn't take a punt on him when he was released and Aird didn't re-sign.

When was the last time we kept a clean sheet? Alloa on the first game of the bottling? Some really good football at times. Really simple tactic of getting everyone one side of the field and firing it into space for Armstrong who was unplayable. I don't think I've seen a more complete winger for Rovers. Ultimately, it turned into a comfortable win but the scoreline flattered us given Queens hit the bar twice.

Brilliant to see Gillespie back and a short cameo from Duggan though. Both were a bit rusty but it's good to see them getting their fitness up. I get feeling we'll need them with us really needing to get a winning run under our belt in the league.

Reminiscent of last season. Looked like what it was, a League One team against a League Two team. They didn't have to work too hard and were better and more streetwise than us. Mistakes were punished as they were last season against teams who were clearly better than us. 

There will be positives in there. I thought James Grant, who has had an outstanding season, had a tough day. That'll show him where he needs to get to as a player. 30 odd games at a level where he'll get to develop and make mistakes without being punished on a weekly basis will do him the world of good. Had we been in League One and he was facing better opposition most weeks, it would probably hit his confidence. Euan East looked very decent in the first half and will only continue to improve. 

Last couple of games were never going to define our season. Back to the bread and butter on Tuesday night and hopefully bounce back by getting something on the board. 

Did you get the train okay?

[emoji23] we did champ, thanks for asking. Half way back to Edinburgh now.

We passed the ball really, really well at times. Great to see Gillespie back and get a solid 75 minutes under his belt. Nisbet and Buchanan linked up well and Flanagan and Armstrong caused the QP full backs no end of problems. Great to get a clean sheet and another win away from home. Excellent day out all things considered, 9/10 would do again.

Thought it was a typical experienced men against enthusiastic boys who played well enough but ultimately were easily beaten. If the score at half time had accurately reflected the play it may have been quite an exciting game. Our young lads will have gained a load of experience these past two meaningless games which should help once we get back to our own league. My only criticism and it has been evident all season is that whilst he has been excellent going forward, defensively Summers just doesn't cut it. He consistently stands too far off his man and cannot cut out a cross to save himself. Four of the last five goals we have conceded have come from his area. I just hope the collective confidence has not been hit because I think we are beginning to look like quite a side.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

When was the last time we kept a clean sheet? Alloa on the first game of the bottling? Some really good football at times. Really simple tactic of getting everyone one side of the field and firing it into space for Armstrong who was unplayable. I don't think I've seen a more complete winger for Rovers. Ultimately, it turned into a comfortable win but the scoreline flattered us given Queens hit the bar twice.

Brilliant to see Gillespie back and a short cameo from Duggan though. Both were a bit rusty but it's good to see them getting their fitness up. I get feeling we'll need them with us really needing to get a winning run under our belt in the league.

icon_home.png Sat 1st September Forfar Athletic Stark's Park SPFL League 1 1447 Win
4-0

Archived