League Three

I am massively against the colts idea, and would lose a lot of my enthusiasm for Scottish football if it comes to fruition.

But how about calling the old firm clubs' bluff on this one...

If they're seriously claiming this is all about developing our best young players in a competitive environment, then we allow one Colt team in the bottom league that's basically a Scotland under 21 squad. Maximum of 3 players from any one senior club, and they sign on loan to the under 21 team for a half season, so can only play matches for under 21's and not parent club.  Re-select/ retain the squad in January and summer based on age/ form/ parent club approval.  Train half the week with parent club and half with the under 21's.

Only open to eligible players who sign up to Scottish national squad for life (so dual nationals etc can't jump ship).

Young Scotland players grow up playing together, playing 'club' matches and international under 21 games in international weeks, and hopefully qualify for more tournaments alongside the stronger nations.

Could either rent a ground, or play all fixtures away from home.  It 'might' appeal to some supporters of other clubs whose team weren't playing one day/ evening to go along and watch.

I'm not even for this, I'd prefer to leave the league as a proper competition, but I could see a genuine benefit at national team level, rather than the purely self-serving objectives of the current old firm colts suggestions.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am massively against the colts idea, and would lose a lot of my enthusiasm for Scottish football if it comes to fruition.
But how about calling the old firm clubs' bluff on this one...

If they're seriously claiming this is all about developing our best young players in a competitive environment, then we allow one Colt team in the bottom league that's basically a Scotland under 21 squad. Maximum of 3 players from any one senior club, and they sign on loan to the under 21 team for a half season, so can only play matches for under 21's and not parent club.  Re-select/ retain the squad in January and summer based on age/ form/ parent club approval.  Train half the week with parent club and half with the under 21's.
Only open to eligible players who sign up to Scottish national squad for life (so dual nationals etc can't jump ship).
Young Scotland players grow up playing together, playing 'club' matches and international under 21 games in international weeks, and hopefully qualify for more tournaments alongside the stronger nations.
Could either rent a ground, or play all fixtures away from home.  It 'might' appeal to some supporters of other clubs whose team weren't playing one day/ evening to go along and watch.

I'm not even for this, I'd prefer to leave the league as a proper competition, but I could see a genuine benefit at national team level, rather than the purely self-serving objectives of the current old firm colts suggestions.

Go one better and get the best of the youngsters pulled into an SFA colt team. One colt team and one colt team only, unaffiliated to any club.

Whatever 'parent' club the SFA colt team obtained successful youths from, get reimbursed through payments when they sign for senior teams.

Still a shite idea but at least money would filter through to teams fairly and the lower leagues would only have 4 pointless games a season.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'm sure they will fully discuss the controversial and widely hated policy of introducing the Old Firm's some colts teams before coming to an honest, well thought out decision that is in the best interests of Scottish football as a whole.  

Image result for tin of whitewash

17 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Good stuff. 

Albion Rovers can get fucked, though. Hope they lose the relegation playoff. 

Tbf their vote seems entirely based on self preservation, easy to understand from their perspective. 

This whole idea is surely completely dead, Old Firm have spent the best part of two years going around clubs trying to coerce them into agreeing to it, and still cant win a single vote.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

It'll be interesting to see if they go all in on the bribery approach now, e.g. offering to buy x number of tickets for every game.

Watch them offer to buy 500 tickets per game, include it in the attendance (whether or not the tickets are used) and then sell it off as a great idea as it has rejuvenated lower league attendances. No doubt it'll be the 'saviour' of Scottish football

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Has anyone seen any explanation anywhere for why it's only the OF's colt teams under consideration, when they're not the best two in the country?

It's representatives from their two clubs who are the main driving force behind the proposal.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Has anyone seen any explanation anywhere for why it's only the OF's colt teams under consideration, when they're not the best two in the country?

Tbf I doubt any other team in Scotland has the resource to fund a 'second' team to play in the senior set up, assuming it's in additions to reserves/under 23's etc?

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
12 hours ago, GordonS said:

The League Three suggestion was for four colt teams.

Celtic Colts, Rangers Colts, Celtic Colts' Colts and Rangers Colts' Colts. 

Archived