League Three

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The clubs proposed for League Three are already in senior football. 

Who are they? Who are the colt teams? When I say senior football I refer to the 42 league clubs. To add to them would mean less revenue for those 42 as the new league would require funding from the TV and sponsorship pots. I don’t think clubs in the lower leagues that are struggling now would vote to give some of their cash up.  

8 minutes ago, the west curve said:

Who are they? Who are the colt teams? When I say senior football I refer to the 42 league clubs. To add to them would mean less revenue for those 42 as the new league would require funding from the TV and sponsorship pots. I don’t think clubs in the lower leagues that are struggling now would vote to give some of their cash up.  

You should have said national, then.

The proposal is 4 Highland League + 4 Lowland League teams. Those leagues are senior leagues. I'm not sure if "colt" teams are senior or not, but as they are part of the structure of a senior club, they may very well be classed as "senior".

As I and many others have said, the change needs to be that bottom of League 2 is relegated automatically.

Winners of the Highland and Lowland League play each other in a one off game (neutral venue, gate money split 50/50). Winner get promoted. Losers then play 9th in League 2 for a place in League 2 (one off game at a neutral venue again, with gate money 50/50 again). 

They don't have to be big venues obviously. Station Park for example would be good and would provide plenty of space and is easy to split if segregation was needed. There are loads of such grounds that could be used.

Every single international break this seems to come up. They just won't take the hint will they? Colt teams would end my interest in Scottish league football. Seriously.

I want to see us playing competitive games, not training matches against a bunch of young jobbers who'll more than likely end up playing for Dumbarton in five years time. Would anyone on here seriously like to suggest that James Forrest would've been better on Saturday night if he'd spent his formative years playing against Kelty Hearts, Cove Rangers and BSC Glasgow instead of in Celtic's first-team?

If anybody thinks that this is for any reason other than to get an extra X number of Old Firm games a season then they're horribly deluded. The Challenge Cup is a trojan horse, and I hope all 1,000 odd Motherwell and County fans who turned up on Saturday will continue to do so when they have their best young players hoarded by Rangers and Celtic 'Colts' playing in front of 70 people.

BuT geRMANIA Do IT ANd THY r amaZING

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

As I and many others have said, the change needs to be that bottom of League 2 is relegated automatically.

Winners of the Highland and Lowland League play each other in a one off game (neutral venue, gate money split 50/50). Winner get promoted. Losers then play 9th in League 2 for a place in League 2 (one off game at a neutral venue again, with gate money 50/50 again). 

They don't have to be big venues obviously. Station Park for example would be good and would provide plenty of space and is easy to split if segregation was needed. There are loads of such grounds that could be used.

Their main goal isn't to provide an easier path for Highland/Lowland league teams, that is merely the sweetener to get colt teams up and running.

That is the main priority so what you've suggested simply won't happen.

I'm opening myself up to a shit ton of abuse and red stickies here, but here goes...

I don't have any opinion either way about the colts, because I don't really know enough about how they are supposed to be a benefit.

But clearly loads of folk on here are strongly against, although I don't know the main reasons why?

Can folk enlighten me to the main reasons why they are the spawn of Satan?

8 minutes ago, OSP said:

I'm opening myself up to a shit ton of abuse and red stickies here, but here goes...

I don't have any opinion either way about the colts, because I don't really know enough about how they are supposed to be a benefit.

But clearly loads of folk on here are strongly against, although I don't know the main reasons why?

Can folk enlighten me to the main reasons why they are the spawn of Satan?

I would say several reasons but off the top of my head I'd say:

- It devalues and is a bit disrespectful to the lower leagues involved.  These are professional competitive leagues, they shouldn't be used as simply a vehicle for the big clubs to develop their younger players.  I presume this 'league 3' option is seen as an alternative to devaluing the existing league two, however.

- It gives a select few clubs, who already have significant advantages in resources, an advantage in picking up the best young players in the country.

There will be plenty more reasons too I'd guess.

24 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Every single international break this seems to come up. They just won't take the hint will they? Colt teams would end my interest in Scottish league football. Seriously.

I want to see us playing competitive games, not training matches against a bunch of young jobbers who'll more than likely end up playing for Dumbarton in five years time. Would anyone on here seriously like to suggest that James Forrest would've been better on Saturday night if he'd spent his formative years playing against Kelty Hearts, Cove Rangers and BSC Glasgow instead of in Celtic's first-team?

If anybody thinks that this is for any reason other than to get an extra X number of Old Firm games a season then they're horribly deluded. The Challenge Cup is a trojan horse, and I hope all 1,000 odd Motherwell and County fans who turned up on Saturday will continue to do so when they have their best young players hoarded by Rangers and Celtic 'Colts' playing in front of 70 people.

BuT geRMANIA Do IT ANd THY r amaZING

Of the 8 World Cup quarter final nations this year, only France have 'B' teams, and they are reserve teams and play in the 5th tier.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Their main goal isn't to provide an easier path for Highland/Lowland league teams, that is merely the sweetener to get colt teams up and running.

That is the main priority so what you've suggested simply won't happen.

Aye true but we can hope.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

- It devalues and is a bit disrespectful to the lower leagues involved.  These are professional competitive leagues, they shouldn't be used as simply a vehicle for the big clubs to develop their younger players.  I presume this 'league 3' option is seen as an alternative to devaluing the existing league two, however.

That's the main bit I get actually. If anyone wants a Colt team, they should be made to start from the bottom of the pyramid just like anyone else. But I don't think people would be happy with even that setup.

- It gives a select few clubs, who already have significant advantages in resources, an advantage in picking up the best young players in the country.

Isn't that what happens already? Surely the reasons other clubs use to convince youngsters to join would still be the same - i.e. the likes of Hamilton being able to show a clear pathway to the 1st team if good enough.

As I said, I don't sit one way or the other just now. Just trying to understand more of the reasons most have against them to see if I'm clearly missing something.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Of the 8 World Cup quarter final nations this year, only France have 'B' teams, and they are reserve teams and play in the 5th tier.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good '!!BUT GERMANY WOOD BEET SCOTLAND !' Facebook post.

16 minutes ago, OSP said:

Isn't that what happens already? Surely the reasons other clubs use to convince youngsters to join would still be the same - i.e. the likes of Hamilton being able to show a clear pathway to the 1st team if good enough.

A clear pathway to the first team is currently Hamilton's best way of persuading a youngster to join them instead of one of the OF.

That could change if the OF suddenly have the element of regular first team football in the lower leagues through a colt team.

A clear pathway to the first team is currently Hamilton's best way of persuading a youngster to join them instead of one of the OF.

That could change if the OF suddenly have the element of regular first team football in the lower leagues through a colt team.

I don't buy that one at all though.

No one signs for Celtic or Rangers on the basis that they hopefully might be sent out on loan to Albion Rovers for 6 months. That's not much difference to the Colts proposal. (Although I would prefer Celtic for example did that a lot more than they currently do.)

There's lots of crap reasons youngsters sign with them, but that's not one of them. (Their parents pressuring into being one of the worst/most common I've seen).

46 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Sounds shite, put Killie in it. 

Killie colts running rings around Ayr United in the lower leagues does sound quite appealing tbqh. I think I'm now in favour of this idea. 

Archived