League Three

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tbf I doubt any other team in Scotland has the resource to fund a 'second' team to play in the senior set up, assuming it's in additions to reserves/under 23's etc?

I can't see why they would need to have an additional development team too. Most full-time clubs have a development squad of full-time players that are available to play on midweek afternoons, so I doubt fielding them in L3 would cost much more, if anything.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
12 hours ago, GordonS said:
Has anyone seen any explanation anywhere for why it's only the OF's colt teams under consideration, when they're not the best two in the country?

The League Three suggestion was for four colt teams.

Fine. In that case Celtic get in, but Rangers aren't in the top four development teams in the country.

44 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Fine. In that case Celtic get in, but Rangers aren't in the top four development teams in the country.

I had this discussion with someone else, maybe not you, but the Reserve League is not a reasonable way to judge the relative qualities of the development squads at clubs, given that some teams field lots of first team players and some don't.

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but Motherwell were interested in the idea. Stephen Craigan (reserve coach) was the one pushing it for the club but he's since left Motherwell & as far as I can tell the club stopped pursuing it at that point.

19 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but Motherwell were interested in the idea. Stephen Craigan (reserve coach) was the one pushing it for the club but he's since left Motherwell & as far as I can tell the club stopped pursuing it at that point.

He's a Rangers fan so he was bound to be pushing for it.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I had this discussion with someone else, maybe not you, but the Reserve League is not a reasonable way to judge the relative qualities of the development squads at clubs, given that some teams field lots of first team players and some don't.

If you look at previous seasons when there were restrictions on the number of over-age players, the OF still weren't consistently the best. Until 2014 only two outfield and the keeper were allowed to be over 19; since then until this season it has been five over age players in the squad of 18. In practice I don't remember seeing the OF play more or fewer over-age players.

And in any case I'll bet the colt teams being considered for L3 would have been allowed some over-age players, so it's a fair comparison in the context.

Just for interest, I had a look at the youth career of the current Scotland squad.

GK

A McGregor - Hutchie Vale, then Rangers from 16.

Gordon - Currie Boys, then Hearts from 18.

RB

O'Donnell - Aberdeen, then Celtic from 17 to 19, then Partick Thistle.

Paterson - Tynecastle boys, then Hearts from 16.

LB

Robertson - Released by Celtic at U15, then Queens Park

Tierney - Celtic.

CB

McKenna - Aberdeen

Souttar - Brechin City then Dundee Utd from 10.

Hanley - QOTS, then Crewe from 13 to 15, then Rangers to 17, then Blackburn Rovers.

Martin - all in England

MF

McGinn - St Mirren

Snodgrass - Rangers South BC, then Livingston from 13. (Turned down Celtic).

Ritchie - England

Armstrong - Dyce, then ICT to 17, then Dundee Utd

Christie - ICT

Forrest - Celtic

McGregor - Celtic

Fraser - Aberdeen

Shinnie - ICT

McTominay - England

F

Fletcher - Hibs

Phillips - England

Naismith - Stewarton Annick, then Rangers from 14 to 16, then Kilmarnock.

Griffiths - Leith Athletic, then Falkirk 12 to 13, then Inch Colts 13 to 14, then Hutchie Vale 14 to 16, then Livingston.

Celtic get 3 mentions plus a role with O'Donnell and releasing Andy Robertson for being too small (nice move guys), but Aberdeen and ICT are well in there too. Rangers' only mentions are finishing Allan McGregor and releasing Grant Hanley. 

And in the last Scotland U21 squad there were:

3 Rangers

3 Hibs 

2 Celtic (plus one on loan at Ayr)

2 Kilmarnock

2 Ayr Utd (including 1 on loan from Celtic)

2 Motherwell

2 Kilmarnock

Dunfermline

Ross County

Hamburg

Reading

Everton

Chelsea

Archived