Airdrie v Dumbarton - Scottish Cup R.3

Old Scrotum

I saw a lot of good Ian Murray things today. Your warm-up was great, very technical and high tempo. I loved the way Prunts had the players out doing organised drills at half-time too. That sort of professionalism is what he's great at.
Had the team pressing really effectively too. On that showing the players are really buying into his ideas - which is great news for you guys.

Where as your subs had their hands in their pockets and didn’t look interested

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite my many years studying at the bar there is no way I could come up with a defence (pun perhaps intended) for that performance yesterday. Shocking from start to finish.

They'll have been dancing in the streets of Aitken's Army last night.

It's been very quiet on here from a Sons perspective, which is absolutely damning. Normally I can post a huge big ramble after a game, but yesterday just left me utterly deflated. I only really went because it was local, and as soon as the first goal went in I started to question the decision. We didn't stand a chance, and I'd have much rather spent my Saturday (no disrespect to the Diamonds here) at a Junior game.

There are two massive problems with this squad (aside from being injured). A lot of players aren't good enough, and the ones that have the talent (by and large) aren't prepared to work. As much as I slagged him early in the season, and as poor as he was at times yesterday, you cannot fault Ross Perry for actually having the correct attitude. It sounds all 'yer da' but seeing him flying into blocks and tackles, charging about to cover for teammates and trying (in vain) to organise things at the back is endearing him to me. Is he part of the problem? Absolutely. But we knew what he was like when we signed him, and I don't imagine he's on a big wage.

He might not have the ability, but he doesn't hide and I've got a bit of respect for that.

I don't know if Duffy has already made it clear who he rates, and who he doesn't, but it certainly looked like quite a few players were only on the field yesterday because they had to be. I won't name names, but anyone who was there will know what I mean. I'm of the opinion that Duffy is really experimenting at the moment, and is just trying out players in new positions and new shapes like a manager would in pre-season. Hence how disjointed things looked at times.

What I will say, on the positive side, is that in the second-half (until the third went in) we had a real go. Gallagher hit the bar, we pulled a few wide from close range, Paton blazed two good chances and we had one scrambled off the line. If any of those go in then it might give us the lift.

That run of play pretty much coincided with Gallagher going through the middle and Paton going out wide. Who'd have thought it?

We need to start converting chances. I'm sure every fan of every club says that during the season, but (as the stats have shown) we are far poorer in the final third than anyone else in the league for shot conversion. It doesn't seem to matter if it's Gallagher, Beany or Loy. They've all missed from great positions countless times.

I noticed Sir Patrick saying on the Facebook page that he'd have done a better job than Duffy so far. Duffy (and Hagi) were both defensively minded players, so maybe he wants to offer his services as a striker coach? After all there aren't too many guys who know more about scoring goals at the Rock. It would be a great route into senior football coaching for him too.

It's been very quiet on here from a Sons perspective, which is absolutely damning. Normally I can post a huge big ramble after a game, but yesterday just left me utterly deflated. I only really went because it was local, and as soon as the first goal went in I started to question the decision. We didn't stand a chance, and I'd have much rather spent my Saturday (no disrespect to the Diamonds here) at a Junior game.
There are two massive problems with this squad (aside from being injured). A lot of players aren't good enough, and the ones that have the talent (by and large) aren't prepared to work. As much as I slagged him early in the season, and as poor as he was at times yesterday, you cannot fault Ross Perry for actually having the correct attitude. It sounds all 'yer da' but seeing him flying into blocks and tackles, charging about to cover for teammates and trying (in vain) to organise things at the back is endearing him to me. Is he part of the problem? Absolutely. But we knew what he was like when we signed him, and I don't imagine he's on a big wage.
He might not have the ability, but he doesn't hide and I've got a bit of respect for that.
I don't know if Duffy has already made it clear who he rates, and who he doesn't, but it certainly looked like quite a few players were only on the field yesterday because they had to be. I won't name names, but anyone who was there will know what I mean. I'm of the opinion that Duffy is really experimenting at the moment, and is just trying out players in new positions and new shapes like a manager would in pre-season. Hence how disjointed things looked at times.
What I will say, on the positive side, is that in the second-half (until the third went in) we had a real go. Gallagher hit the bar, we pulled a few wide from close range, Paton blazed two good chances and we had one scrambled off the line. If any of those go in then it might give us the lift.
That run of play pretty much coincided with Gallagher going through the middle and Paton going out wide. Who'd have thought it?
We need to start converting chances. I'm sure every fan of every club says that during the season, but (as the stats have shown) we are far poorer in the final third than anyone else in the league for shot conversion. It doesn't seem to matter if it's Gallagher, Beany or Loy. They've all missed from great positions countless times.
I noticed Sir Patrick saying on the Facebook page that he'd have done a better job than Duffy so far. Duffy (and Hagi) were both defensively minded players, so maybe he wants to offer his services as a striker coach? After all there aren't too many guys who know more about scoring goals at the Rock. It would be a great route into senior football coaching for him too.
At no point yesterday did I think Dumbarton would've scored despite all the chances created 2nd half.

I actually had the opportunity to attend yesterday (I normally plan other stuff when we're away from home) and I actively chose to go shopping and remove moss from my drive. I didn't even have to weigh up the decision, I knew the chores and shopping would be more enjoyable.

9 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
25 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

At no point yesterday did I think Dumbarton would've scored despite all the chances created 2nd half.

That kind of sums up where we are. I doubt you'll find a single Sons fan who was surprised that our top scorer managed to hit the crossbar from about four yards with the goal gaping. 

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'll name them. Paton. A waste of a jersey yesterday and by all accounts a total Forfar last week too. If he's not prepared to work he's stealing a wage and short changing the fans. Not good enough and I'll drive him anywhere he wants to go in January. In the car also can come Loy, Bobby Barr and Hutton.

I can accept the team being outplayed. I can't accept the complete lack of desire and professional pride witnessed in the first half yesterday.

Fair play to Airdrie. Not great but they had players willing to work hard and they got what they deserved. No complaints about the result. Good luck in the next round, a good pay day we badly needed ourselves.

11 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Long time no speak tomasz!
No picking on him, we done what we had to, but he was horrendous.
How that was never a penalty for the foul on McIntosh when it was 0-0 I'll never know
*I reserve the right to change my mind if I see a replay*

Great result for the diamonds.

I'll name them. Paton. A waste of a jersey yesterday and by all accounts a total Forfar last week too. If he's not prepared to work he's stealing a wage and short changing the fans. Not good enough and I'll drive him anywhere he wants to go in January. In the car also can come Loy, Bobby Barr and Hutton.
I can accept the team being outplayed. I can't accept the complete lack of desire and professional pride witnessed in the first half yesterday.
Fair play to Airdrie. Not great but they had players willing to work hard and they got what they deserved. No complaints about the result. Good luck in the next round, a good pay day we badly needed ourselves.
Totally agree with you about Paton...don't think he's not interested...he just looks unfit and done at this level

I actually thought Hutton looked ok yesterday, while the few chances we made cane through Barr

2 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

the few chances we made cane through Barr

I think Barr could be a good provider of cross-balls to a target man if we had one. But he's got to stop appearing more concerned about winding up the opposition support and concentrate o what he is on the itch to do.

I wasn't there yesterday but I think a real lack of desire and general effort has been a problem for a while now. There are some guys I expect far more from, especially our captain. There just seems to be no team spirit at all.

As I mentioned in the Sons thread, there's genuinely only 3 players I'd be really disappointed to see the back of - Dom Thomas, Ross Forbes and Cammy Ballantyne. If any of the rest were moved on and I don't think I'd be arsed in the slightest. I don't mind Callum Gallagher when he plays up front but if he's going to be utilised as a winger then I wouldn't be too upset at seeing him replaced with better.

I think Barr could be a good provider of cross-balls to a target man if we had one. But he's got to stop appearing more concerned about winding up the opposition support and concentrate o what he is on the itch to do.
I genuinely didn't know bobby Barr was playing yesterday until reading this thread, and that's by no means a dig or anything.
It was a funny old day yesterday, from the first whistle I thought we lacked the "oomph" of last week but within 10 mins I kind of knew we'd have enough about us to dig out a result. Dumbarton's shape (or lack of) must have been concerning and it was a bit disjointed. Again I'd love to see the penalty shout at 0-0 from where I was at the opposite end of the stand it looked an absolute stick on, McIntosh jinking onto his other foot and the defender wiping out his standing leg.
At times I thought we passed the ball about well and dug in to win it back.
I've been super critical of the defence but it was nice for them to get a clean sheet and I thought Chris O'Neil turned in one of his best performances yet at right back being defensively sound and supporting the attack down the flank.
Wilkie again impressed me and he's turning into a pivotal cog in the machine, both him and Carrick give 100% and leave nothing out there.
All in all it was a professional performance and I'm glad the guys (and Murray) have a great reward in playing at Celtic Park and hopefully this wee bonus allows Murray to now look at maybe a better quality of player in January.

I genuinely didn't know bobby Barr was playing yesterday until reading this thread, and that's by no means a dig or anything.
It was a funny old day yesterday, from the first whistle I thought we lacked the "oomph" of last week but within 10 mins I kind of knew we'd have enough about us to dig out a result. Dumbarton's shape (or lack of) must have been concerning and it was a bit disjointed. Again I'd love to see the penalty shout at 0-0 from where I was at the opposite end of the stand it looked an absolute stick on, McIntosh jinking onto his other foot and the defender wiping out his standing leg.
At times I thought we passed the ball about well and dug in to win it back.
I've been super critical of the defence but it was nice for them to get a clean sheet and I thought Chris O'Neil turned in one of his best performances yet at right back being defensively sound and supporting the attack down the flank.
Wilkie again impressed me and he's turning into a pivotal cog in the machine, both him and Carrick give 100% and leave nothing out there.
All in all it was a professional performance and I'm glad the guys (and Murray) have a great reward in playing at Celtic Park and hopefully this wee bonus allows Murray to now look at maybe a better quality of player in January.
From our end of the park it didn't look like there was any contact...it looked like as he turned he slipped...fairly half hearted penalty claims from only the striker and one other player

When did Grant Gallagher turn into such a bellend?? Seemed to take great delight in.fouling our players in front of our fans and very lucky to stay on the park. He was never a major target for the fans as he spent most of his time with us on the treatment table...I would have said we all wished him well, but came across yesterday as an utter fanny...compare that to Bryan Prunty...total professional and legend

From our end of the park it didn't look like there was any contact...it looked like as he turned he slipped...fairly half hearted penalty claims from only the striker and one other player

When did Grant Gallagher turn into such a bellend?? Seemed to take great delight in.fouling our players in front of our fans and very lucky to stay on the park. He was never a major target for the fans as he spent most of his time with us on the treatment table...I would have said we all wished him well, but came across yesterday as an utter fanny...compare that to Bryan Prunty...total professional and legend
Jeez oh man there's always one.
Not a penalty
Lads hard done by
Big bad Airdrie player fouling all our boys
Resort to name calling certain player.

You are the skid mark on the good name of sons fans._20181125_183453.JPG

Archived