Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

7 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

We should be wary of Finland's ability to rake Forrests. 

"Barry Ferguson's Hat? Pie and Bovril? He completed it mate."

4 hours ago, Ylf said:

Could Forrest play in the English premier league??

Was Ryan Fraser the stand-out performer in that midfield? I didn't think so. They all looked like they're at his level.

39 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I like the showing of the clock during highlights. It used to annoy me that no clock was shown. Can anyone say when they started doing this?

My guess is it's a UEFA branding thing, preventing any footage appearing without their graphics. It even went as far as the logo on the mic the BBC used for the post-match interviews. 

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ylf said:

Fraser Christie and Forrest must start every game in my opinion. What’s people’s thoughts on Mcginn being able to break in to starting lineup? Also amazed at the transformation of Forrest though his crossing is a bit meh. Could Forrest play in the English premier league??

Callum McGregor has developed really well and is an intelligent footballer but the defensive side of his game is still badly lacking. Last night, he hesitated at closing down at the first goal and his challenge at the second goal was very timid. I think he'll get better at it but if we are playing a side where we are up against it, I see McGinn being able to do that out of possession work a bit better and maybe protect the defence.

I'm interested to see how Dylan McGeouch gets on at Sunderland. I think he's a very intelligent player and a very good natural footballer who has a high ceiling. I'd be really interested to see how he'd get on as he's got a fair bit of experience playing quite deep, where Callum McGregor is playing now.

I think we're getting there but just need to find a way to defend a lot more consistently and need to put a lot of thought into this.

40 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I’ve just seen it pointed out on Facebook that the play off final is 3 days after the semi.

If we say, for arguments sake, that the 4 teams taking part are the 4 currently sitting in the play off places there is potential for us to beat Finland, but, having previously been drawn to be away in the final, only finding out on that same day whether we will be travelling to Serbia or Norway.

Absolutely shocking for those who would be intending to travel.

The venue of the final will be decided before the semis. This means there is the possibility that the home nation will have already been knocked out. 

The venue of the final will be decided before the semis. This means there is the possibility that the home nation will have already been knocked out. 

I’m pretty sure the draw determines which semi winner will be at home in the final.

1 hour ago, Canscot said:

That makes sense unless all 12 Leauge A teams qualify automatically.  You then would potentiallly have teams that finished lower than their respective Nations league group winners being used for the Leauge A playoffs against weaker teams than the League B group winners would face.

True. It's a little messed up at that point. I could be wrong, but from a quick wiki search on my phone, since the 16 team finals started for Euro 96 only once in the 6 qualification stages for those tournaments has all top 12 seeds made it to the finals.
I'm not trying to defend the current setup, it's the first iteration and will have its issues. I think it'll take time to figure out the best way for it to work.

I guess they could try and seed parts of the process to plug a few gaps but that wouldn't work for everything and would add another layer of complication.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Callum McGregor has developed really well and is an intelligent footballer but the defensive side of his game is still badly lacking. Last night, he hesitated at closing down at the first goal and his challenge at the second goal was very timid. I think he'll get better at it but if we are playing a side where we are up against it, I see McGinn being able to do that out of possession work a bit better and maybe protect the defence.

I'm interested to see how Dylan McGeouch gets on at Sunderland. I think he's a very intelligent player and a very good natural footballer who has a high ceiling. I'd be really interested to see how he'd get on as he's got a fair bit of experience playing quite deep, where Callum McGregor is playing now.

I think we're getting there but just need to find a way to defend a lot more consistently and need to put a lot of thought into this.

McGeouch is a good player but he isn't anywhere near the same level as McGregor in general, which is why McGregor was kept on by Celtic and he wasn't. It's worth remembering that McGregor tore up English League 1 (where McGeouch is currently playing) at the age of 20 when he was on loan at Notts County.

I agree that McGregor has been questionable defensively,when he's played deeper for us, but he is starting to play in that role for Celtic too and seems to be getting groomed as the next Scott Brown, so he is going to have lots of opportunity to develop in that position. McGeouch may have played a deeper role regularly for Hibs, but his main role was keeping possession, not the battling and the tackling, because McGinn was there to do that.

48 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I’m pretty sure the draw determines which semi winner will be at home in the final.

Pretty sure this is correct.

What I have no clue about is whether the nation that’s drawn ‘at home’ for the final have it as a genuine home game i.e. they get 90% of the tickets, or if it’s at their home ground but treated as though it was a neutral venue and the allocation split. It would be grossly unfair on the first instance but not surprising.

Guest bernardblack

McGregor plays in a similar position for Celtic yeah?

Because I was sure he did but then surely Brown and Ntcham would play there?

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

McGregor plays in a similar position for Celtic yeah?

Because I was sure he did but then surely Brown and Ntcham would play there?

I’m sure McGregor has taken over the holding midfield role at Celtic since Brown has been out injured. Any coincidence in their sudden good form since this happened? I’d imagine it will be difficult for Brown to walk back into that team, no matter how big a player he is for Celtic.

These two games were definitive proof that Tierney should be absolutely nowhere near the Scotland squad.

Of course he should be in the squad, he's one of our best players!!!

Really? He signed a striker for a record fee basically because Griffiths is Scottish. McGregor has always been a good player and gets left out unless absolutely needed. Armstrong got sold despite being good enough to start and wasn't a regular before that.

Rodgers will only start Scottish players if he feels he absolutely has to. 

23 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Really? He signed a striker for a record fee basically because Griffiths is Scottish. McGregor has always been a good player and gets left out unless absolutely needed. Armstrong got sold despite being good enough to start and wasn't a regular before that.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.  When everyone is healthy Celtic regularly will start a minimum of 4 Scottish players, Gordon, Tierney, Brown and Forrest with McGregor often preferred to Rogic or Ntcham.  That's more than a number of teams in the Premiership, including Rangers

I would also like to add that Leigh Griffiths has been inconsistent for Celtic since Brendan took over.  He originally signed Dembele as a backup to Griffiths but Dembele played better so kept the starting role.

I need a bit of what you're smoking pal

Archived