Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Just now, craigkillie said:

No idea what game you were watching, because Paterson was absolutely atrocious aside from winning headers. He didn't seem to know where he was half the time.

Tierney at right-back is the obvious choice going forward.

Nah, you are talking shite, Patterson did well considering the constant overlap and the lack of cover from midfield. He made far less mistakes than the rest of the defence, and he did a good job of shutting out the winger who basically ended O'Donnell's international career last time. Tierney may be the best option at right back, but Patterson is definitely second choice now. I'd find a place for him in the team anyway even if he wasn't right back as he also brings a physical presence that we are sorely lacking.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bernardblack

Tierney at right back isn't an option for me. 

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player...but he isn't as good as Robertson so he doesn't get shoehorned into that team. 

6 minutes ago, GAD said:

Nah, you are talking shite, Patterson did well considering the constant overlap and the lack of cover from midfield. He made far less mistakes than the rest of the defence, and he did a good job of shutting out the winger who basically ended O'Donnell's international career last time. Tierney may be the best option at right back, but Patterson is definitely second choice now. I'd find a place for him in the team anyway even if he wasn't right back as he also brings a physical presence that we are sorely lacking.

Hiya callum hiya pal

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player...but he isn't as good as Robertson so he doesn't get shoehorned into that team. 
He's a better right-back than anyone else we have available.

23 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

As Craig says, he’s still a better right back than anyone else we have. Not sure what you’re suggesting as the alternative.

slow start and a nervy end but in between that I was impressed with us , especially with the amount of injuries we had.

just happy we didn't blow it, maybe a little bit of pressure off for qualifying campaign.

football has came home

I groaned a groan when S Fletch was announced SuBo Style Having watched him for his club team recently and in general i was defo Nah. So happy to be proved wrong...

Totally Agree with previous poster Re Forrest, Looks a completely different player as oppose to an improved one...

Still expected Israel to score in last min as always happens and why we kept standing off them all night i.ll never know after Kayals strike..

Happy as Larry[emoji170]

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:
11 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:
Here's the Uefa promotion/relegation graphic if anyone's interested. Poor Cyprus. Probably thought they were safe. 
Screenshot_20181120-232528.thumb.png.caa2f038230fcb2f577fe3d19d53edc2.png

This is like the fucking krypton factor.

:lol:

It's certainly cleared up any confusion about the workings of this elaborate competition. I'm fairly certain we're being trolled by UEFA.

54 minutes ago, GAD said:

The overlaps down our right were consistently against Bates, who spent most of the first half having to go out to cover at right back because Paterson was so far out of position and was jogging about in midfield rather than making any real attempt to get back in position, with Forrest often getting back to help Bates out before Paterson did despite our wingers being so advanced to support Fletcher.

None of that is really Paterson's fault, he's a player I'd like to see us use in an attacking role, he just blatantly isn't a right back and should be nowhere near the position. Tierney, O'Donnell and Shinnie would all be preferable at right back.

Yeah there was a spell at the end of the first half where Paterson was forced infield than Bates and McGregor. 

Bizarre stuff.

19 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The overlaps down our right were consistently against Bates, who spent most of the first half having to go out to cover at right back because Paterson was so far out of position and was jogging about in midfield rather than making any real attempt to get back in position, with Forrest often getting back to help Bates out before Paterson did despite our wingers being so advanced to support Fletcher.

None of that is really Paterson's fault, he's a player I'd like to see us use in an attacking role, he just blatantly isn't a right back and should be nowhere near the position. Tierney, O'Donnell and Shinnie would all be preferable at right back.

Agreed. Paterson is not a right back. He’s solid when a ball is dropping in his direction, but doesn’t read or follow runners and offers nothing going forward.

I genuinely miss the halcyon days of Hutton - never through I’d say that.

Tierney and O’Donnell clearly preferable at RB.

2 hours ago, Hendricks said:

I think people are also forgetting that if the play offs do end up being the route we require they are nearly 18 months away!  So much can change team wise for us and Finland etc in that time. 

I think that works for us though. Obviously so much can change in that time with form and injuries but with the exception of Fletcher and the goalies, pretty much every player in that team is at an age where you'd expect them to get better. They'll also have another campaign under their belts which is another 10 or so caps potentially.

No idea of the make up of Finland's team however, they may well be the same.

Definitely more optimistic after those games. The line-ups in the first 2 group were 2 of the worst Scottish sides I've ever seen, that added to a formation that wasn't working was a disaster. Guys like McDonald, Russell, O'Donnell, Naismith have no business of being near a side that wants to be succesful at international level. Even the likes of Soutar I don't think is ready, and McGinn just gives the ball away. And we've hopefully seen the last of the clamour for Griffiths. Forrest has scored more goals in 2 games than Griffiths has in his entire Scotland career.

Being able to bring in Fraser, Forrest, Armstrong and McGregor is such an upgrade, they are all at a 'good age' too where they should bet better.

Rightback is still an issue, Tierney playing there is the only real option. Yeah he wont be as good as at Celtic, but he's better than anyone else there.

The other issue I think will prove to be defensively in midfield. McGregor, Armstrong and Christie will be good in possession, and we'll dominate against lesser sides, but none of them are defensively minded and against better sides they will walk through us in there. Not a clue how to fix that, perhaps just a slight change in personal against better sides with a more naturally defensive midfielder in there like McTominay.

Fraser Christie and Forrest must start every game in my opinion. What’s people’s thoughts on Mcginn being able to break in to starting lineup? Also amazed at the transformation of Forrest though his crossing is a bit meh. Could Forrest play in the English premier league??

Fraser Christie and Forrest must start every game in my opinion. What’s people’s thoughts on Mcginn being able to break in to starting lineup? Also amazed at the transformation of Forrest though his crossing is a bit meh. Could Forrest play in the English premier league??

I’d have had McGinn coming on before McTominay last night. Not sure if he can get ahead of the Armstrong McGregor duo at the moment but it’s a fine problem to have.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Really?

The amount of times Paterson got caught out of position was absurd. We got shagged down his side in the 1st 15-20 mins. It not necessarily his fault, he's playing well out of position, but anyone with eyes should be able to see he was a weakness that Israel tried, and did, exploit. 

8 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Really?

The amount of times Paterson got caught out of position was absurd. We got shagged down his side in the 1st 15-20 mins. It not necessarily his fault, he's playing well out of position, but anyone with eyes should be able to see he was a weakness that Israel tried, and did, exploit. 

He wasn't simply getting caught out of position, there was nobody in front of him so he was having to go to the ball on a 2, sometimes 3 man overlap on his side. At the game it was absolutely clear as day what was happening, but I suppose it might not have come across on TV. Israel had 2/3 guys on that side at all times when they had the ball.

As for us getting "shagged" down that side, both Israel's goals, and most of their threat came from the fact the centre of our midfield and defence were too passive in closing down and stood off the ball far too much. I'd say that was a far bigger issue.

Archived