QoS Vs Formartine Utd

19QOS19

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Game to be played the weekend of 19th January. Suspect Dundee might be a much changed outfit by then.

Won`t be there sadly, away in London that weekend.

This. Obviously every tie is winnable but we have little more than an outside chance of going through

After a good start going 2 goals up we still had a mad 10 mins after they scored we just seen to panic after any team scores against us .

After that we took control of the game the 3rd goal was so important .

2nd half we should have scored more the Formartine keeper played well.

The goal of the game Scott Mercer with his left foot top corner from 20 yards goal of the season so far .

No crowd size manipulation going on IMO. Very sparsely attended. I texted KFTS about 10 mins in and told him crowd was very poor, definitely under 1000. If anything, was surprised it was so close to 4 figures.

2-0 up within the first 10 mins, expected us to rack up a big score, but we were never really firing on all cylinders. Thought Formantine battled away tenaciously and their number 9 (Wood?) caused us some problems in the first half at least.

We played a bit better as the second half progressed, as Formantine sat in trying to avoid a hammering, after being reasonably  adventurous in the first half. Unfortunately most of the best opportunities fell to Dykes, who while fairly effective again, never really looks like a prolific goalscorer.

Unlucky to rattle the post a couple of times towards the end,  but 4-1 was probably a fair reflection. Defence looked a bit shaky at times in the first half, and Formantine should have equalised with a free header in the six yard box. Surprised Semple didn’t start. Fordyce and Doyle don’t really convince as a central defensive pairing. Mercer’s goal was a beaut. Jacobs continues to frustrate with his McGinn-like ability to give the ball away in dangerous positions. Was starting to get a bit irritated  at the length of time it took us  to take throw ins in the second half particularly. Not sure if no-one was bothering to find space or make a run, or the thrower just couldn’t see any options, but it took an age to get the ball back into play at times.

We didn’t play particularly well, but a comfortable win nonetheless.

If Formartine had one free header, we had two in quick succession, both headed down and then a bounce into a grateful keeper.  

Thought Dykes led the line well, he’d one cracking shot which the keeper saved well.

Dobs seemed a stick-on for a hat trick after bagging two after 8 minutes, but despite numerous chances that 3rd wouldn’t go in.

Doyle messed up for their goal, he was bullied off the ball which let their guy through, he stuck in an excellent ball which needed up in our net, and for 10/15 minutes it was game on. 

However, a basic error at the back by Formartine let Dobbs in, and he laid it on a plate for Dykes. It was more or less game over then,  Mercer’s cracker made it safe. We ‘re not a team that would ever let a 3 goal lead go with only 20 minutes left......

Formartine were decent, their no 9 was a handful, so this was a banana skin averted with what was ultimately a professional performance.

And I think Dundee is winnable!

32 minutes ago, JTulip said:

In photos can count 48 in the away section. That leaves just 883 home fans.

Unfortunately the Scottish cup doesn't grab the fans by the hand until later rounds, this was shown with attendances round the country example Morton v Peterhead only had just over 900 also. Sign of the times am afraid season ticket holder don't always attend cup games... 

17 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Unfortunately the Scottish cup doesn't grab the fans by the hand until later rounds, this was shown with attendances round the country example Morton v Peterhead only had just over 900 also. Sign of the times am afraid season ticket holder don't always attend cup games... 

I know its not directly comparable for various reasons but just looked it up and the attendance for our 4th round match against Linlithgow Rose 12/1/08 was 3062!

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes was a bit disappointed about the figure at Cappielow but season tickets not being valid may have an effect, at Peterhead our season ticket covers all league & cup matches but that seems to be unusual now.

16 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

I know its not directly comparable for various reasons but just looked it up and the attendance for our 4th round match against Linlithgow Rose 12/1/08 was 3062!

I think from memory there were about 1,000 from Linlithgow at that game and it was the first high profile Juniors v Seniors game after they were allowed in. Not disputing our crowds are well down on what they once were but that's not a great comparison. A far better comparison would be Brora from the same round in 2014. Crowd that day was 1434 with 110 from Brora compared to officially 38 from Formartine, though I accept it appears to have been something in the high 40's by the time some of them came in a home turnstile. In 4 years we're down about 400 home fans.

There was a whisky festival in Dumfries on Saturday which certainly cost us some support. Scotland were playing rugby which always seems to take over 100 off our home supports. I know for a fact a few of our regular fans were at the Courteeners gig in Glasgow too. All factors, but generally there's no doubt support is on the wane.  Price might be a factor in that I accept but evidence from the past suggests it's probably not a major one.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think from memory there were about 1,000 from Linlithgow at that game and it was the first high profile Juniors v Seniors game after they were allowed in. Not disputing our crowds are well down on what they once were but that's not a great comparison. A far better comparison would be Brora from the same round in 2014. Crowd that day was 1434 with 110 from Brora compared to officially 38 from Formartine, though I accept it appears to have been something in the high 40's by the time some of them came in a home turnstile. In 4 years we're down about 400 home fans.

There was a whisky festival in Dumfries on Saturday which certainly cost us some support. Scotland were playing rugby which always seems to take over 100 off our home supports. I know for a fact a few of our regular fans were at the Courteeners gig in Glasgow too. All factors, but generally there's no doubt support is on the wane.  Price might be a factor in that I accept but evidence from the past suggests it's probably not a major one.

Yes, that Brora comparison is probably the best one, and it's pretty bloody depressing.

I've honestly got no idea what can be done about it.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

.Price might be a factor in that I accept but evidence from the past suggests it's probably not a major one.

I used to think that price was a major factor, and it may well be, but if it was price alone then there should have been over 3000 at the rearranged Dundee Utd game last season that was a fiver a head. Am I right in thinking the attendance that night was pretty much bang on the average though?

14 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

I used to think that price was a major factor, and it may well be, but if it was price alone then there should have been over 3000 at the rearranged Dundee Utd game last season that was a fiver a head. Am I right in thinking the attendance that night was pretty much bang on the average though?

Queen Of The South 1 Dundee United 3
March 13th 2018 7.45pm 
Attendance 1,480

4 hours ago, groundhopper2000 said:
Queen Of The South 1 Dundee United 3
March 13th 2018 7.45pm 
Attendance 1,480

Aye, so less than were at the April game (1531) which was £16. However it was a Saturday and last home game of the season, vs a cold midweek evening game. Any idea the attendance of the original game that was abandoned? Back to the point, I wouldn't be surprised if the home attendance was almost the same each time with the fluctuations being the Utd fans

19 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Aye, so less than were at the April game (1531) which was £16. However it was a Saturday and last home game of the season, vs a cold midweek evening game. Any idea the attendance of the original game that was abandoned? Back to the point, I wouldn't be surprised if the home attendance was almost the same each time with the fluctuations being the Utd fans

The original attendance was 1,822 (438 Away fans) On December 16th last year.

Archived