Albania vs Scotland

Gordopolis

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Shinnie at right back?! Don’t think he could be as bad as Paterson there.

IIRC Israel's greatest threat was down their left (our right), so it might be worth anchoring that position a bit more solidly. Is Shinnie a more defensively sound option than Paterson? I dunno. 

If Shinnie is brought in he should be forced to shave off his beard but keep a tache tho.

P.S. I see that tool Mavraj is saying it was Ryan Christie's fault that he got sent off because Christie made him angry :lol:

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pressing for the first goal made me moist.

How long have we been watching the same depressing sight - us giving the opposition too much respect, hampered by a slow midfield and backline which means we have to sit far too deep and sit off them

We've now got the energy in midfield to be getting right in their faces. Shouldn't matter who the opposition is

The pressing for the first goal made me moist.

How long have we been watching the same depressing sight - us giving the opposition too much respect, hampered by a slow midfield and backline which means we have to sit far too deep and sit off them

We've now got the energy in midfield to be getting right in their faces. Shouldn't matter who the opposition is

There did also seem to be a lot more cohesiveness about the midfield as well last night and as much as I like him, I think a large part of that was because we didn't have McGinn running around like a dug after a stick, screaming "Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh" continuously for 90 minutes!!!

It's great to have that energy and enthusiasm to call on but we did look more rounded without it last night!!!

IIRC Israel's greatest threat was down their left (our right), so it might be worth anchoring that position a bit more solidly. Is Shinnie a more defensively sound option than Paterson? I dunno. 
If Shinnie is brought in he should be forced to shave off his beard but keep a tache tho.
P.S. I see that tool Mavraj is saying it was Ryan Christie's fault that he got sent off because Christie made him angry :lol:

Said that last night about Israel, the thought of Paterson playing the guy that wrapped O'Donnell in knots is giving me the fear!!!
Christie made me angry as well, he's Scottish ffs, you don't let some Johnny Foreigner stick one on you - kin Jessie!!!

8 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

There did also seem to be a lot more cohesiveness about the midfield as well last night and as much as I like him, I think a large part of that was because we didn't have McGinn running around like a dug after a stick, screaming "Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhj" continuously for 90 minutes!!!
It's great to have that energy and enthusiasm to call on but we did look more rounded without it last night!!!

It's certainly given McLeish something to think about when McGinn is fit.

Good problem to have tbh. I would have had McGinn as a guaranteed starter because he's the closest we have to a defensive midfielder but he'll have some way to get back in now

Also surprised to see people almost critical of Robertson. Even if he didn't have much crossing to do, his tackling and composure at the back was brilliant. Quite a few of the chances in the second half came from him winning the ball out and playing it early

Also surprised to see people almost critical of Robertson. Even if he didn't have much crossing to do, his tackling and composure at the back was brilliant. Quite a few of the chances in the second half came from him winning the ball out and playing it early
It's a shame that we don't see him bombing forward as much as he used to, but yeah, he's playing a different, more responsible role. It's fine in games like last night when you've got Christie, Forrest and Fraser playing like that, but problems arise when we look to him as our only attacking threat.

EAAAAAAAAASY! EASY! EASY! EASY! 

Not gone back over the thread but has there been the usual miserable c***s saying it was only because Albania were shite? Always nice to hear. They absolutely were, but that was one of the best performances I've seen from us. You can only beat what's in front of you, but even when we were pumping the likes of Malta and Gibraltar, I'm not sure we looked quite as good as last night. 

Still not job done and a bad result on Tuesday will make last night irrelevant, but still. Fucking yass. 

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

EAAAAAAAAASY! EASY! EASY! EASY! 

Not gone back over the thread but has there been the usual miserable c***s saying it was only because Albania were shite? Always nice to hear. They absolutely were, but that was one of the best performances I've seen from us. You can only beat what's in front of you, but even when we were pumping the likes of Malta and Gibraltar, I'm not sure we looked quite as good as last night. 

Still not job done and a bad result on Tuesday will make last night irrelevant, but still. Fucking yass. 

^^^ Drunk Alex found.

I thought that the only player that looked totally out of his depth last night was Paterson. He was truly awful and should be sent back to that numpty Warnock at Cardiff now. I don’t care if we’re short of right backs, he is an utter liability.

Going back to the striker thing; if you're players shouldn't be picked due to a shite goals return then we wouldn't be picking any strikers since they all have a very poor goals to games ratio.

Goals are overrated anyway. We just want someone who will jump for a header when aimless long balls are punted forward.

4 hours ago, BRAVELANEY said:
6 hours ago, Meadow_Jock said:
One of the biggest positives of yesterday's massacre was the enforced inclusion of Bates.
Not because he was particularly outstanding, but more because he should now serve as a constant rusty-haired reminder that the likes of Harper, Henderson, Gauld et al shouldn't necessarily be ignored just because they've had the temerity to move to countries which speak a different language.
I've done some research, and it turns out that a number of the world's best teams don't write players off on this basis. Who fucking knew?

This is another bug bear of mine, players who leave the SPL for 'lesser' teams in a higher standard are dismissed too often yet would probably stand out massively in The SPL, Steven Fletcher the example this past week.

Steven Fletcher has not been "dismissed" by people because he plays for Sheffield Wednesday. He was "dismissed" because he started up front for us for the bulk of the Strachan reign and the only meaningful contributions he made were setting up a goal for Anya in Germany and scoring at home to Poland.

Steven Fletcher has not been "dismissed" by people because he plays for Sheffield Wednesday. He was "dismissed" because he started up front for us for the bulk of the Strachan reign and the only meaningful contributions he made were setting up a goal for Anya in Germany and scoring at home to Poland.
You could say that about a number of striker's, what has Griffiths done apart from score two absolutely worldys against England in the closing stages? Dosent stop him being dubbed 'the best we have available'

Guest bernardblack

That midfield three of Forrest-Christie-Fraser has to play every single time.

Behind them choose two from Armstrong, McTominay, McGinn etc and that’s a very strong midfield.

Classy midfield and a top keeper and left back. Still not overly sure about the other positions. Griffiths game isn't just about scoring goals either, he's greedier than Fletcher that's for sure but is still a very clever player. Him every time when he's fit, although that seems a wee while off at the moment. Fletcher over Naismith after that I'd say.

If Paterson can act as a big oaf battering ram upfront in the Premiership then he can do the same for us if required.

I would definitely have him in the squad as a utility player. 

Still not sure why it clicked last night, isn't it always the same with Scotland though? We do well at low points or when the pressure is off.

I would pick the same team against Israel.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If the players are good enough then they'll be picked no matter where they play. Garry O'Connor was picked regularly while he was in Russia, Kenny Miller was picked regularly while he was in Turkey, John Collins was picked regularly while he was in France, Paul Lambert was picked regularly while he was in Germany etc.

Bates, Henderson and Gauld are all playing second tier football, so it's not like we're overlooking guys who are tearing up foreign leagues left, right and centre. And before people reply with the usual stuff about us picking English Championship players - there was only one player from that league in our team last night.

Hendry is not good enough, and should never have been ahead of Bates once, let alone twice.

Enthusiasm aside, it's hard to see what McBurnie's purpose is (it certainly isn't goals) yet he's a regular feature in the squad, whilst Harper isn't given the slightest of chances however many of our scant array of strikers pussy out.

I have no problem with these guys not being picked in the long run, I have a problem with none of them being tried whilst the same bunch of auld-boys club huddies are reselected repeatedly.

Hendry is not good enough, and should never have been ahead of Bates once, let alone twice.

Enthusiasm aside, it's hard to see what McBurnie's purpose is (it certainly isn't goals) yet he's a regular feature in the squad, whilst Harper isn't given the slightest of chances however many of our scant array of strikers pussy out.

I have no problem with these guys not being picked in the long run, I have a problem with none of them being tried whilst the same bunch of auld-boys club huddies are reselected repeatedly.

Agree with most of this but also in the interests of fairness was Harper not going to be selected but was out injured???

Archived