Albania vs Scotland

Gordopolis

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:
Callum Paterson's Anchorman audition was unsuccessful

.. so he has now decided that he wants to break free...

God knows...

Was very pleased to see the starting XI tonight.

I genuinely think Tierney and McGinn are overrated for us. That midfield 5 proved how good they were. It was only Albania and all the rest of it but to win by that amount away from home is commendable.

Bates and McKenna were formidable at centre half and I had my reservations as we haven’t seen much of Bates but, at the end of the day, he’s playing week in week out for one of Germany’s biggest teams at a very good level and it showed. Nothing got by them and that gave a platform for our midfield I felt.

Steven Fletcher proved tonight why McBurnie didn’t start. He allowed the quick midfielders to work the space and create chances and not get himself drawn in. I fear McBurnie would have been a headless chicken in this formation.

Fantastic result and hopefully more of the same on Tuesday so we get the job well and truly done.

Bates did well, so surely it's his to lose. Souttar is injured for a fair while so see if he can play his way back in the squad. And Hendry is getting worse.
Unless Patterson is actually the answer, with chalmers in the holding role

Aye Bates and McKenna could be a Scotland CB pairing for the next 10 years. I’d keep them together. Souttar is a crock, and imo overrated.

Some difference when you have midfielders who actually have skill and composure, McGregor and Christie, compared to haddy’s like McGinn and MacDonald. 

Tierney at RB, Griffiths upfront and we have the makings of a good team. 

Very happy, although apprehensive given how bad we were after the other win against Albania.
They are bad and were down to 10, but that shouldn't completely detract from the positives. McKenna should be, and probably is first-choice centre-back; McGregor is the kind of holding midfielder I can't remember us having; Forrest and Fraser, as predicted, are so exciting to have in the same team; I'm worried that Christie's form will eventually fade, but his turnaround from 'meh' at Aberdeen to bossing it at Celtic and for his country, is pretty admirable.
Sort of negatives:
There's a place for Paterson in the squad - just not at right-back. Bates was absolutely fine, but he was fine with limited pressure; I was just delighted he got in, got out and didn't f**k it up. Still time on Tuesday though.
I don't know if he feels a bit more responsibility as captain (he shouldn't), but Robertson still doesn't seem to be bursting forward as often - I only recall one cross the entire match. He's so good that we need to get the best out of him.
Steven Fletcher offers an intelligence and quality of link-up play that none of our other strikers do. I like Griffiiths, Naismith and even McBurnie, but I prefer watching Fletcher.

That was fuckin enjoyable ..Lets just enjoy a good win  and some good performances .. The players showed tonight what winning meant to to them ... Delighted for everybody that was involved ..Sick of hearing from " tossers " that want a defeat  so Mcleish gets binned ..If you would rather not support the national team for what ever reason , just f@ck off and  leave the rest of us who really care about Scotland to get on with it.. Cheers...

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Robertson's already getting the Darren Fletcher criticism about "never having a good game for Scotland".

Luckily there are demonstrative examples (like Lithuania away) that prove such fandans wrong

I think the problem Robertson has if any is that he's acutely aware that if he makes runs down the pitch too often he leaves the defence and midfield exposed. 

Wouldn't be slating him for being tactically aware but it would be better to see a balance from him of more runs to produce crosses. 

That was fuckin enjoyable ..Lets just enjoy a good win  and some good performances .. The players showed tonight what winning meant to to them ... Delighted for everybody that was involved ..Sick of hearing from " tossers " that want a defeat  so Mcleish gets binned ..If you would rather not support the national team for what ever reason , just f@ck off and  leave the rest of us who really care about Scotland to get on with it.. Cheers...

One win against 10 man Albania doesn’t detract from how terrible the performances have been under McLeish, or that he’s alienated a number of players to the point of not wanting to play for him.

It’s quite possible to be critical of the management and coaching while enjoying a win.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

One win against 10 man Albania doesn’t detract from how terrible the performances have been under McLeish, or that he’s alienated a number of players to the point of not wanting to play for him.

It’s quite possible to be critical of the management and coaching while enjoying a win.

In competitive matches we've had more good performances than bad.  

Anyway players that couldn't be arsed can stay at home for good tbh.  

13 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Well lads. That victory means we are stuck with the three stooges running the team. 

It's times like this when I wonder whether or not the thick streak of Presbyterianism that runs through this country has a terminal impact on our ability to enjoy ourselves. 

Regardless, one down one to go. Hopefully the three stooges can press on to a 75% competitive win rate on Tuesday. 

Just now, Estragon said:

It's times like this when I wonder whether or not the thick streak of Presbyterianism that runs through this country has a terminal impact on our ability to enjoy ourselves. 

Regardless, one down one to go. Hopefully the three stooges can press on to a 75% competitive win rate on Tuesday. 

They probably Will, but take into context who we are playing and the fact that the manager is an incoherent mess and his two stooges haven't got a clue as to what they are saying and doing just bores out what most supporters are saying. McLeish is a train wreck of an appointment.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

They probably Will, but take into context who we are playing and the fact that the manager is an incoherent mess and his two stooges haven't got a clue as to what they are saying and doing just bores out what most supporters are saying. McLeish is a train wreck of an appointment.

QED

Fletcher has to be our first choice striker going forward. Far too many people become fixated on how many goals a "striker" scores when judging his effectiveness, when in fact a centre forward, especially in modern football. has to be more than that. I'd go as far as to say that, as a lone striker, goals are of secondary importance given that your job is to support and launch attacks. Fletcher did this admirably last night.

Lee Griffiths, on the other hand, appears uniquely interested in scoring goals, to the extent that he becomes a liability to the team. The amount of chances we had in the second half at Hampden (against Albania) would have doubled had Griffiths lifted his head when in possession. It's too important for Griff to be "number one" rather than a cog in an effective machine.

At the moment I'd keep him as an impact sub. 

Archived