Callum Paterson

F_T_Y

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Total pish.

Really don't know where this bandwagon has come from. 

Admittedly I never saw the game, but did he really play that badly? If so then it's a bit harsh to judge him on one game.

With O'Donnell out folk need a scapegoat I suppose, although given we won 0-4 I'm not sure why a scapegoat is needed.

Glad I could help.

So I did see the game and I'm not sure a few people on a thread constitute a bandwagon. 

The OP suggested that Paterson, after obviously not comfortable at RB (and few others comfortable with this) be moved further upfield. That's what people are arguing against. He's not a scapegoat, and it's dishonest to suggest that's what is being put forward. Looking towards the Israel game we know that they'll see Paterson as a weak link and exploit it. It's a worry.

The idea that he'll be an asset further forward might be true if he's brought on in the Chris Martin role (throw yourself about a bit, cause chaos and mibbe nick a goal) with about 10-15 to go, but starting him in an advanced role would only slow us down. He doesn't have the touch or brain of Fletcher, or the speed of Miller (even now, with Miller nearing 40).

I'll concede that he does have a place in the squad. He is a carthorse, but if he sclaffs in a last minute winner that takes us to the Euros then I'll gleefully be sporting a Paterson 'tache over the summer.

he's not a carthorse :lol:

He's also not a right back as he gets beat far too easily one on one.  Thats his biggest flaw as a defender.  Don't think he would get in the team at the moment anywhere else but definitely should be in and about the squad.  

I always thought he would be a good centre half as he has all the attributes and you don't get players ruining at you one on one the way you do at fullback.  he seems to be going further up the pitch though :D

If we hadn't had a load of call offs he wouldn't have been considered at right back, let alone starting there. I'd have him in the squad as he's the kind of person we could chuck on up front and ask him to throw his head at things. I think it is pretty unfair to expect him to be great when he's not played that position regularly in about 3 years.

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I like Paterson he is a decent player and is a great option to have in the squad due to his versatility but I still don't know where his best position is?

Anyone know where he thinks is his best position?

Dunno.  Like a player like that though he is a unit, has good pace and a good attitude and is obviously versatile.  Playing more regularly will help him too.  Will always be a handy option to have kicking around.

3 hours ago, ahemps said:

I like Paterson he is a decent player and is a great option to have in the squad due to his versatility but I still don't know where his best position is?

Anyone know where he thinks is his best position?

Definitely not right back