Callum Paterson

F_T_Y

I have always thought of this guy as a defender, he has looked out his depth anytime playing for Scotland, but he seems to play as an attacking midfielder and lone striker for his club side.

Would it be worth trying him further up the pitch like warnock has done with him at Cardiff.

What about this for an idea? Why don't we leave him out of the squad completely? His touch is rubbish, he's as slow as a week in jail, and he appeared to have little in the way of positional sense yesterday.

The only thing he seemed to do was to win a couple of aerial battles. I know he plays (bottom of) premiership football, but he's a carthorse. Get rid please.

What about this for an idea? Why don't we leave him out of the squad completely? His touch is rubbish, he's as slow as a week in jail, and he appeared to have little in the way of positional sense yesterday.

The only thing he seemed to do was to win a couple of aerial battles. I know he plays (bottom of) premiership football, but he's a carthorse. Get rid please.

8256345562eaf0174c2259903a3cd686.jpg&key=71b65ba15514557ff4810f285af32561ebd5f2151a72abc63fdfab6ae146107a

If there was a full compliment of right backs, he would surely have only been considered as an attacker?

Who should have played at right back last night instead? Not trying to be wide there btw, just with call offs/injuries etc. not sure who I'd go for.

Och no, I get why he filled in, and I see how crabbit my initial post seemed.

I just don't think we need him in any of the other positions on the field. He doesn't have the touch or awareness of Fletcher, and he isn't at the level of the other midfielders. 

I inferred from the original post that we were talking about future squads, where there, presumably, would be a full compliment of full backs. 

I simply don't think he's a good enough player to be considered. 

12 hours ago, velo army said:

Och no, I get why he filled in, and I see how crabbit my initial post seemed.

I just don't think we need him in any of the other positions on the field. He doesn't have the touch or awareness of Fletcher, and he isn't at the level of the other midfielders. 

I inferred from the original post that we were talking about future squads, where there, presumably, would be a full compliment of full backs. 

I simply don't think he's a good enough player to be considered. 

I must be forgetting all the other players who are scoring in the Premier League... :rolleyes:

The thing is, I think he's now basically down as a midfielder for Cardiff and has now played there for the best part of a full season, now being thrown in up front for them. I can see he might fill in at RB for Scotland but it would be a bit unfair to be playing him there regularly or judging his play on what is now no longer his usual position. I know he was a RB for us but that was a while ago now.

He’s a god awful footballer. 

Shite touch, can’t defend, can’t tackle, can’t pass, can’t dribble, can’t run. All he’s good at is winning headers and even then he’s not good enough that a team like us can afford to carry. 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

He’s a god awful footballer. 

Shite touch, can’t defend, can’t tackle, can’t pass, can’t dribble, can’t run. All he’s good at is winning headers and even then he’s not good enough that a team like us can afford to carry. 

Total pish.

Really don't know where this bandwagon has come from. 

Admittedly I never saw the game, but did he really play that badly? If so then it's a bit harsh to judge him on one game.

With O'Donnell out folk need a scapegoat I suppose, although given we won 0-4 I'm not sure why a scapegoat is needed.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Total pish.

Really don't know where this bandwagon has come from. 

Admittedly I never saw the game, but did he really play that badly? If so then it's a bit harsh to judge him on one game.

He was getting ripped pretty much every time they went up against him one on one in the first half. If they hadn't had a man sent off I could have seen him being hooked or possibly sent off eventually. Second half wasn't near as bad as they tired and weren't anywhere near as much of a threat going forward.

23 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

He was getting ripped pretty much every time they went up against him one on one in the first half. If they hadn't had a man sent off I could have seen him being hooked or possibly sent off eventually. Second half wasn't near as bad as they tired and weren't anywhere near as much of a threat going forward.

He's terrible, but he's the only possible right back in the squad.  It's entirely McLeish's fault for selecting such a lop sided squad.  The worry is that he gets injured.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He's terrible, but he's the only possible right back in the squad.  It's entirely McLeish's fault for selecting such a lop sided squad.  The worry is that he gets injured.

I'm sure Hendry or possibly even Shinnie could have been drafted in if needed but I agree it's hardly ideal.

Ryan Fraser is probably the best RB in the current squad but it would be a complete waste for Scotland to play him there.