Motherwell v Aberdeen

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abroad, so just finished watching the full match replay on RedTV International without previously knowing the score. Some laugh. 

We were absolutely dire. Motherwell didn't even have to do anything special to win comfortably, and they spurned several good opportunities in the second half to extend their lead further. 

Struggling to think of anybody who I thought had a remotely decent game for us. I suppose McKenna wasn't too bad individually, but the defence generally resembled a shambolic mess. Considine, as much as I like the guy, got taken to the cleaners and back again. Logan is Logan. Shinnie had another poor game in midfield - his form this season just hasn't been up to his previous high standards. Mackay-Steven was largely anonymous, and McGinn's role in the first goal was comical. I should really give a special mention to Wilson, who did well to make it to half-time. Somehow, we managed to get even worse in the second half and any remnants of attacking urgency and desire disappeared almost entirely from our play after their third goal. 

Devlin (technically joined in January) and Ferguson have obviously been good signings, but the harsh truth is that our summer recruitment just wasn't up to scratch - Forrester (£200,000) nowhere to be seen, Gleeson seemingly not rated, Wilson not convincing, Hoban looked promising but has significant injury problems. I expect our poor performance in the transfer market to come back to bite us a few more times this season, unfortunately. 

Let's just say that the Aberdeen support booed every short corner afterwards. Eventually you changed to just swinging a cross into the box (to ironic cheers).

They cheered when McGinn was subbed off as well which is never a good sign. It brought back memories of Alan Gow and Jake Taylor who we’ve cheered when they’ve been subbed and both subsequently left the club shortly after.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Abroad, so just finished watching the full match replay on RedTV International without previously knowing the score. Some laugh. 

We were absolutely dire. Motherwell didn't even have to do anything special to win comfortably, and they spurned several good opportunities in the second half to extend their lead further. 

Struggling to think of anybody who I thought had a remotely decent game for us. I suppose McKenna wasn't too bad individually, but the defence generally resembled a shambolic mess. Considine, as much as I like the guy, got taken to the cleaners and back again. Logan is Logan. Shinnie had another poor game in midfield - his form this season just hasn't been up to his previous high standards. Mackay-Steven was largely anonymous, and McGinn's role in the first goal was comical. I should really give a special mention to Wilson, who did well to make it to half-time. Somehow, we managed to get even worse in the second half and any remnants of attacking urgency and desire disappeared almost entirely from our play after their third goal. 

Devlin (technically joined in January) and Ferguson have obviously been good signings, but the harsh truth is that our summer recruitment just wasn't up to scratch - Forrester (£200,000) nowhere to be seen, Gleeson seemingly not rated, Wilson not convincing, Hoban looked promising but has significant injury problems. I expect our poor performance in the transfer market to come back to bite us a few more times this season, unfortunately. 

The first goal was actually a thing of beauty, where we went from having a corner to McGinn playing a 30 yard, laser-like pass to send Johnson through on goal. All in about 10 seconds. 

No wonder the team were stunned after that, I'm still laughing about it now.

Really looking forward to next Sunday. 

The first goal was actually a thing of beauty, where we went from having a corner to McGinn playing a 30 yard, laser-like pass to send Johnson through on goal. All in about 10 seconds. 

The pass from McGinn gets better every time I watch it. Hilarious nonsense to think that was a ball to even consider playing with 2 Motherwell players sitting high up. Logan didn’t cover himself in glory - the lad Johnson was allowed back inside far too easily. Good finish though. The second was flat footed lazy defending meeting sharp and eager strikers.

Clutching at straws for anything resembling a positive perhaps.....but we did have a few good chances ourselves. Shinnie and Wilson in the first half both should be tucking those into the corner of the net. Think Wright did well to create a chance from a mazy run but fluffed the strike. I thought Lowe was our best(only?) outlet going forward.

14 hours ago, Swello said:

There were a few really satisfying things from today. Firstly - Mbulu slotted straight in and again showed that there are players in the reserve that are physically ready. I found it interesting that we won what was a fairly tousy game in midfield with 2 out and out footballers in there. Bigi played well and  thought Turnball against better players had a harder time but looked the part. Lastly - I thought Grimshaw was MOTM, as he often is against Aberdeen.  I know that some 'Well fans don't rate him but I think he is excellent on his day and there is a challenge to him and Robinson to do it consistently...

This is something that's quite interesting in a broader sense. Obviously I'm mindful that it's a relatively small sample and there's a f**k off caveat in so much as we lost 7-1 at Ibrox but since the Livi game our form is now: XLWWLW.

Without getting carried away it's notable that the three wins in that sequence (and 3 clean sheets) have come with us starting Bigi and Turnbull, two players who don't quite fit the "win the battle first" stereotype. Given a lot of the conversation around Robinson has been about whether he can get his (few) technical players into his starting XI then it seems relevant.

Yes, 2 of the wins were against St. Mirren and Dundee and yes, Aberdeen were mince yesterday but you can only beat what's in front of you and all that.

A lot has been made about the fact that Robinson didn't seem to trust Bigi. After Robinson's post-match interview the other week I don't think any of us would have been surprised if Bigi had been scapegoated and sacrificed after the Ibrox debacle (warranted or not). I'll not lie, I had thought Robinson would have reverted back to his Shitfest XI yesterday but the fact that he's stuck with both Bigi and Turnbull as two of the midfield 3 was a pleasant surprise.

Genuinely quite curious as to whether Bigi and Turnbull +1 is now Robinson's preferred midfield. Similarly does Big Chris Mbulu mean the back 3 is on the cards again and where does Charlie Taxi fit in once he's fit again. Also, surely Johnson's brace and Main's general performance is enough to convince Robinson to stick with them for a bit and keep big Herbalife on the bench.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, bpdon said:

The pass from McGinn gets better every time I watch it. Hilarious nonsense to think that was a ball to even consider playing with 2 Motherwell players sitting high up. Logan didn’t cover himself in glory - the lad Johnson was allowed back inside far too easily. Good finish though. The second was flat footed lazy defending meeting sharp and eager strikers.

Clutching at straws for anything resembling a positive perhaps.....but we did have a few good chances ourselves. Shinnie and Wilson in the first half both should be tucking those into the corner of the net. Think Wright did well to create a chance from a mazy run but fluffed the strike. I thought Lowe was our best(only?) outlet going forward.

I wouldn't have McGinn in the team next week. An utter shitebag who has never kicked a ball against Celtic in all the games he's played against them. 

Yesterday's lazy as f*ck arseholeness was just a bit of icing on the cake. 

I'd forgotten about Shinnie's miss yesterday. Should have taken the ball with his left foot but tried to guide it in with his right....up until the first goal I though we were marginally the better side, and scoring first might have changed the eventual outcome. 

It's a brutally thin straw to clutch at though. 

59 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A lot has been made about the fact that Robinson didn't seem to trust Bigi. After Robinson's post-match interview the other week I don't think any of us would have been surprised if Bigi had been scapegoated and sacrificed after the Ibrox debacle (warranted or not). I'll not lie, I had thought Robinson would have reverted back to his Shitfest XI yesterday but the fact that he's stuck with both Bigi and Turnbull as two of the midfield 3 was a pleasant surprise.

Totally agree, fair play to the manager yesterday as I think most people thought he may have gone back to his tried and tested formula.

You could argue with Rose injured and McHugh suspended then he didn't have much option but that 3 man midfield yesterday looks the most balanced in terms of personnel that we have. I've mentioned the Dolan, Davies and Lambert midfield before and that is probably the nearest I've seen to it since. 

Campbell to bite ankles and win the ball back, Bigi in the Davies role and Turnbull as the guy who always looks as if he has 10minutes to control the ball, look up and pick a pass that seems to eliminate 2 of the opposition. 

Will be interesting to see whether McHugh comes back in when he's back from suspension or not?

Also thought Main looked much more like his first few months at Fir Park. Grimshaw though was my man of the match the run near the end which ended in Ferguson getting his booking typified his no nonsense performance

2 hours ago, weemac said:

Will be interesting to see whether McHugh comes back in when he's back from suspension or not?

Everyone reads different stuff into comments but I thought Robinson's line about "being too loyal" to players after the Rangers pumping may have been aimed at least in part at McHugh. He is a decent player but he, as much as anyone in the team in fact - has a game changing mistake in him - and he's had 3 daft red cards under Robinson (In Perth, home to livi and at Ibrox). I wouldn't be tempted to change much about yesterdays team next week, so McHugh and everyone else will need to wait their turn as there were no failures at all yesterday.

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This is also me just finding out that Hartley's middle name is Major...mind actually blown.

Nobody else on that list even has a middle name - do you think he's maybe just winding them up? 

If so, the next time he's suspended  I firmly expect it to read "Peter Fucking Hartley".

Archived