Motherwell v Aberdeen

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Absolutely no complaints today.
Lovely finish for the first goal, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team score like that from our corner.

Reminded me of Malonga for Hibs in league cup game a few seasons back.  Had a free run from inside his own half, at Logan.

Overall we deserved what we got. Motherwell took their handed and could have had four or five in the end.

We our Shite this year - Our attacking options are grim:

Wilson - Shite, get rid

Cosgrove - Shite, get rid

May - did the most of our strike force but isn’t the answer - won’t get 10 goals a season.

McGinn - poor since coming back - disappears when needed.

GMS - struggled today - but pass marks for the season so far.

Anderson, Wright, McLennan are exempt for the fact they seem to always be behind the shower of Shite above. Aside from 10 minute spells

That went well.

To get it out the way first - Aberdeen were utterly shite to the point that I'm sure they save these performances until they play us. I've said before that - going back to his St Johnstone days - McInnes seems to overthink games against us (and we're really not that hard to beat). I genuinely can't remember an Aberdeen team at any time having less of an attacking threat and they seemed more intent on winning the physical battle against last season's 'Well team instead of what was in front of them.

On us - I thought the main difference today was that our effort levels were back at the levels that we saw a lot last season - we got stuck in all over the park and in most cases, won our battles. Johnson's first was hilarious as everyone was screaming at him to pass it (and he should have really) but to be fair to him, it was a lovely finish and makes the decision to drop him all the more mystifying.

There were a few really satisfying things from today. Firstly - Mbulu slotted straight in and again showed that there are players in the reserve that are physically ready. I found it interesting that we won what was a fairly tousy game in midfield with 2 out and out footballers in there. Bigi played well and  thought Turnball against better players had a harder time but looked the part. Lastly - I thought Grimshaw was MOTM, as he often is against Aberdeen.  I know that some 'Well fans don't rate him but I think he is excellent on his day and there is a challenge to him and Robinson to do it consistently...

Glad I didn't choose the rugby. 

Lovely finish for the first goal, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team score like that from our corner.

Well played though ‘Well, enjoy your night!

Ps Following Brexit, short corners should be banned.
I've seen some poorly worked corners but it really took some special effort to collect a short corner, run back towards your own end and then pass straight to the opposing centre forward who had a one on one against the only defender who had stayed back. No wonder the Aberdeen support booed the short corner tactic from then on.

31 minutes ago, Swello said:

On us - I thought the main difference today was that our effort levels were back at the levels that we saw a lot last season - we got stuck in all over the park and in most cases, won our battles. Johnson's first was hilarious as everyone was screaming at him to pass it (and he should have really) but to be fair to him, it was a lovely finish and makes the decision to drop him all the more mystifying.

There were a few really satisfying things from today. Firstly - Mbulu slotted straight in and again showed that there are players in the reserve that are physically ready. I found it interesting that we won what was a fairly tousy game in midfield with 2 out and out footballers in there. Bigi played well and  thought Turnball against better players had a harder time but looked the part. Lastly - I thought Grimshaw was MOTM, as he often is against Aberdeen.  I know that some 'Well fans don't rate him but I think he is excellent on his day and there is a challenge to him and Robinson to do it consistently...

It was interesting to hearJohnson touch on that in the interview that went up on the social channels during the week and, despite it being a bit of a leading question from the bold Lewis, Robinson addressed it post-match as well.

The gist really seemed to be be that Robinson has wanted Johnson to work more on his all round game.

"It's been a big step up from where I've been, so I've came and I've done the business in the first few games and proved what I can do and then I've had to be patient. It's not going to be a quick "Oh! There you go, you're here, you've arrived". So, yeah, I've had to be patient, the gaffer's had a word with me a few times about certain things I've had to work on the past month or so and I feel as though I'm doing that."

"I've always said that the goals are going to be there. It's the other parts of my game that I need to develop and obviously I'm working on them to get them up to my goalscoring abilities but I do believe that my goalscoring will pull me through more than my overall game."

I take it the 'Story of The Match' will be back with bells on?

Lovely stuff.

Pretty much the same script as both Cup games last year- tight game early doors before we hit them with a quick fire double aided in no small part by some calamitous Dons defending before finishing things off in the second half. Think today was the earliest we've finished them off mind, was done and dusted before the hour and we really should have added a few more before the end.

@Swello covered most things, I also thought Grimshaw was tremendous despite my reservations about him playing wing back pre-match but he was my MOTM as well today. While Johnson will grab a lot of the headlines and rightly so for two very different but equally impressive goals, I'd like to mention the much maligned Main though who I thought put in a tremendous shift alongside him. He bullied the Aberdeen defence all afternoon and gave them an absolutely torrid time once again. Also thought Aldred, Hartley and Campbell were all looking a bit more like their old selves today, while Gillespie did a more than decent job between the sticks with couple of smart saves and coming off his line to good effective as well.

Today was all about the reaction and I think all talk of Robinson out can surely be put to bed for the time being after that. The players are clearly still playing for him and hopefully we can put last week's utter shitemare to bed and try to kick on from here. 

EDIT  Davie Turnbull, get him signed up asap please- absolute baller.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Today was all about the reaction and I think all talk of Robinson out can surely be put to bed for the time being after that. The players are clearly still playing for him and hopefully we can put last week's utter shitemare to bed and try to kick on from here. 

EDIT  Davie Turnbull, get him signed up asap please- absolute baller.

(Understandably) there's some change in Robinson's demeanour in his post-match this evening. Fully on the positivity train and fair fucks to him for that. He's looked absolutely scunnered with the whole thing a lot this season.

Agree that it probably puts the #RobinsonOut chat to bed for the foreseeable. As he points out that's 3 wins in our last 4 and 3 clean sheets. Granted the one we've lost was an abject humiliation but while you can pick the bones out the performances of the games we've won he's not wrong. We've taken 10 points from the last 18 available, given we only had 4 from the opening 21 it's an improvement of sorts. Even allowing for The Great Ibrox Capitulation.

That's enough for him to sell to the club and see him through to January where hopefully he can set about sorting out some of the summer mistakes.

If the club want to continue the positivity vibe then getting Turnbull and the rest of the Young Team signed up would be a step in the right direction.  The way he sorts out his feet for his goal is lovely. It's been said before but it honestly looks like he plays in slow motion when he gets the ball.

3 hours ago, kent_don said:

Reminded me of Malonga for Hibs in league cup game a few seasons back.  Had a free run from inside his own half, at Logan.

Overall we deserved what we got. Motherwell took their handed and could have had four or five in the end.

We our Shite this year - Our attacking options are grim:

Wilson - Shite, get rid

Cosgrove - Shite, get rid

May - did the most of our strike force but isn’t the answer - won’t get 10 goals a season.

McGinn - poor since coming back - disappears when needed.

GMS - struggled today - but pass marks for the season so far.

Anderson, Wright, McLennan are exempt for the fact they seem to always be behind the shower of Shite above. Aside from 10 minute spells

Wilson and May are not the answers for the first two options up front, Cosgrove isn't even good enough for third choice. Considering how shite and inept we look in the final third I'd be sticking Anderson in and seeing what he can do, can't be any worse.

GMS had a few minutes towards the end of today's game but nowhere near enough, however, no players played well.

If I watched the corner back I'd still be at a loss at how we managed to concede the opener. 

No positives and I fear for next Sunday.

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

Doesn't make any sense.

Pumped, by Motherwell.

Minter.

It is a minter, you’re spot on. The pot kettle thingy was a wee reference to you posting that I am always on Celtic threads, whilst denying that you have any interest in Aberdeen threads.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
5 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Well played though ‘Well, enjoy your night!

Ps Following Brexit, short corners should be banned.

I've seen some poorly worked corners but it really took some special effort to collect a short corner, run back towards your own end and then pass straight to the opposing centre forward who had a one on one against the only defender who had stayed back. No wonder the Aberdeen support booed the short corner tactic from then on.

Wasn’t able to get down to Motherwell today, so particularly looking forward to seeing Niall’s assist.

Archived