Who still pays for a licence fee?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like the idea of the beeb.

It clearly is biased towards a centre-right neoliberal outlook. There is little direct editorial interference from govt, but management try to keep budget holders sweet, which has an effect.

There are occasions of pure propaganda but it is usually just bread and circuses. 

It would be naive to think that unaccountable commercial alternatives are less succeptible to being official mouthpieces.  CNN and fox are pretty much party channels.

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I only really listen to Radio Scotland / 6 Music, watch BBC4 or the fitba on BBC1.

Still happy to pay the licence for that.

Like the loaded poll question though.

I'm similar to this.

I don't watch much TV, I really don't like watching adverts. For me they are like junk mail. I don't sit reading all the rubbish that's posted through the letterbox and I've had enough of watching the junk mail on television. 

I quite like the idea of the beeb.
It clearly is biased towards a centre-right neoliberal outlook. There is little direct editorial interference from govt, but management try to keep budget holders sweet, which has an effect.
There are occasions of pure propaganda but it is usually just bread and circuses. 
It would be naive to think that unaccountable commercial alternatives are less succeptible to being official mouthpieces.  CNN and fox are pretty much party channels.

I think that there are probably a fairly equal number of viewers who view the BBC as being more left of centre (in its overall production), which probably suggests they’re not far off being in between.

No, but the news is a huge part of it. All of the shows and documentaries etc are a great way of gaining peoples trust. Afterall, if the documentaries and shows are of a good standard, then surely we can trust their news services as well? Right?

How is it tin foil? The UK is suffering dire poverty that has been getting steadily worse over the past decade. But the people suffering are getting no representation from the BBC at all. It's all "hush hush". The BBC is told what it can and can't report on. The home office gags the BBC, just as it gags "independent investigations".

All networks have their own agenda. Private or public. But if something is being privately financed, then it has a right to an agenda by those financing it. The BBC on the other hand is financed by the public and therefore has an obligation to represent all public views. It quite clearly doesn't however. Instead of representing the public that finances it, it represents the rhetoric of the government instead.

Is everything ok at home? Has your wife recently left you or something

I think that there are probably a fairly equal number of viewers who view the BBC as being more left of centre (in its overall production), which probably suggests they’re not far off being in between.

Again though, this doesn’t mean anything. There’s a clear history of the Conservative Party interfering in the BBC alongside the security services. Tom Mills wrote an entire book detailing it.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Again though, this doesn’t mean anything. There’s a clear history of the Conservative Party interfering in the BBC alongside the security services. Tom Mills wrote an entire book detailing it.

I'm sure the Labour Party did too. There's plenty of evidence of them destroying independent reporting by the BBC after the sexing up intelligence about the Iraqi WMD affair, under Blair. I don't think they've recovered.

I'm sure the Labour Party did too. There's plenty of evidence of them destroying independent reporting by the BBC after the sexing up intelligence about the Iraqi WMD affair, under Blair. I don't think they've recovered.

I wouldn’t put the Blair government that left wing though. They were firmly in the Thatcher tradition.

ETA: one of the last chapters in Mills’s book discusses the Iraq War as well.

Do folk still watch adverts?

I just turn the channel over when they come on. Obviously channels who are all owned by the same company (such as all the ITV channels or all the '4' channels, like C4, E4, Film Four etc) put adverts on at the same time, but there are plenty of other channels. If required I just mute the TV and fanny about on my phone for the few minutes it takes for whatever I'm watching to come back on.

I don't watch stuff on TV often though.

19 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re not married?  What a surprise!

Being the higher intellect on here, it should come as no surprise to anyone that i'm not married. I take what I want from women, then swiftly move on when they have nothing left to offer. thG0KM24IK.jpg

Archived