Who still pays for a licence fee?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Dr Watson said:

The license is required to watch live TV on any channel, not just BBC.

That's the claim. But how can you be taxed for watching something that is privately funded and therefore recieves nothing from said tax?

100% of your TV tax goes to the BBC. I'll be fucked if i'm paying a TV Tax for watching anything other than the BBC.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

That's the claim. But how can you be taxed for watching something that is privately funded and therefore recieves nothing from said tax?

100% of your TV tax goes to the BBC. I'll be fucked if i'm paying a TV Tax for watching anything other than the BBC.

According to the TV licensing people, that's not true. The BBC is funded by the license but not 100% of the money.

According to the TV licensing people, that's not true. The BBC is funded by the license but not 100% of the money.

Then what is the breakdown? If the tax is justified, then why not give us the breakdown on where that money is actually spent?

Have you asked them for a breakdown?

This is the closest thing to a breakdown I can find - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13

The TV Licensing agency themselves say that over 90% of the licence fee is spent on BBC services. 3% of the licence fee is spent on collection. It doesn't say what percentage is spent on some Welsh language channel. But it leaves very little left for anything else worth paying it for.

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

This is the closest thing to a breakdown I can find - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13

The TV Licensing agency themselves say that over 90% of the licence fee is spent on BBC services. 3% of the licence fee is spent on collection. It doesn't say what percentage is spent on some Welsh language channel. But it leaves very little left for anything else worth paying it for.

You've not really got a good grasp on this at all. The license money ensures the BBC runs without adverts, making the advertising on private channels worth more.  Getting rid of the license may save everyone a hundred odd quid a year but would devalue TV advertising, therefore risking the quality of programs being produced by all TV channels.

3 minutes ago, Dr Watson said:

You've not really got a good grasp on this at all. The license money ensures the BBC runs without adverts, making the advertising on private channels worth more.  Getting rid of the license may save everyone a hundred odd quid a year but would devalue TV advertising, therefore risking the quality of programs being produced by all TV channels.

Are you honestly suggesting that a few more TV channels introducing adverts would damage the quality of the hundreds of other TV channels that already have adverts? That's an utterly ridiculous statement. But the quality of nonsense i've came to expect from the pro-licence brigade.

Just now, BawWatchin said:

Are you honestly suggesting that a few more TV channels introducing adverts would damage the quality of the hundreds of other TV channels that already have adverts? That's an utterly ridiculous statement. But the quality of nonsense i've came to expect from the pro-licence brigade.

You clearly have a clue what you're talking about, so I'm out.

Btw, you're wrong with 'the pro-licence brigade' too. I wouldn't buy a licence if it was free.

26 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Anybody watch the Andrew Marr show this morning? Try telling me again that the BBC isn't bias. :lol:

Biased is the adjective, bias is the noun.  Personal quibble!

Andrew Marr is a political editor.  He's supposed to demonstrate bias.  That's his job.  To editorialise and pass judgement.  Just because he (or even the guests) aren't covering specifically the topics you want in specifically the way you want, doesn't make the programme invalid.  

I'm more than happy to pay the BBC TV license. BBC programming, at its best, is fantastic.  BBC radio alone is worth the fee.  

Presumably you think Nigel Farage is invited on Question Time too often?  

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Biased is the adjective, bias is the noun.  Personal quibble!

Andrew Marr is a political editor.  He's supposed to demonstrate bias.  That's his job.  To editorialise and pass judgement.  Just because he (or even the guests) aren't covering specifically the topics you want in specifically the way you want, doesn't make the programme invalid.  

I'm more than happy to pay the BBC TV license. BBC programming, at its best, is fantastic.  BBC radio alone is worth the fee.  

He's suppost to demonstrate challenege. He's supposed to challenge whoever is out in front of him, regardless of their political leanings. He doesn't do that. Time and time again he gives Conservatives a free ride, but when it comes to anybody on the left, rather than challenge their view points, he just talks over them when they try to answer and comes across as a right bellend.

If you think being forced to pay for something that spoon feeds you the information that they want you to hear is worth it, then that's fine. But at least accept it for what it is. A UK Government neo-liberal propaganda network.

4 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I only watch news on tv to be infuriated by my perception of their stance on Scottish independence.

I long for the days that the news is just Hamish Husband reading the headlines from The National (the newspaper/fan-lit, not the melancholy indie rockers, although that too might be entertaining), and then a River City double-bill.

3 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

He's suppost to demonstrate challenege. He's supposed to challenge whoever is out in front of him, regardless of their political leanings. He doesn't do that. Time and time again he gives Conservatives a free ride, but when it comes to anybody on the left, rather than challenge their view points, he just talks over them when they try to answer and comes across as a right bellend.

If you think being forced to pay for something that spoon feeds you the information that they want you to hear, then that's fine. But at least accept it for what it is. A UK Government neo-liberal propaganda network.

I'm not sure what you think neo-Liberal is, but if you had ever lived in a country that genuinely does use propaganda, you wouldn't be saying that.

Archived