We'll be coming....to Qatar 2022! (An FM19 story)

Richey Edwards

McLeish quits

Scotland manager Alex McLeish has sensationally resigned just five months after beginning a second stint in charge of the national team. The exact reasons for his departure have not been disclosed at this time. China manager Marcello Lippi is the early bookmakers favourite to be offered the Scotland job, with other potential candidates being Derek McInnes and Tommy Wright.imgID150373610.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.51b0b69c2ffe29cac68466f28fafbec2.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walker hired as Scotland manager

In one of the most surprising managerial appointments of recent times, the Scottish Football Association have hired an unknown with no managerial experience.

Jamie Walker, who has previously worked in elderly care and is currently a mental health support worker, told the assembled press that he never expected to receive the phonecall.

"I sent the SFA my Football Manager CV for a laugh. I had won the Serie A with Crotone and numerous trophies with Ayr United, so I have achieved quite a lot in Football Manager. I have never played football at any level and have no real life managerial experience, so it's a shock to be sitting here as Scotland manager. I keep thinking this is an elaborate windup!"

Asked if he believes that he has the attributes required to get the best out of a national side who have struggled for a long time, Walker quipped:

"Well, I suppose you could say that I'm used to working with pish and shite. So that shouldn't be a problem."

"But seriously, with the Nations League coming up followed by the Euro 2020 qualifiers, there has never been a better opportunity for Scotland to qualify for a major competition. I'm so proud to be entrusted with the task of managing the team through these games."

Asked if he would begin his new job immediately, Walked smiled and replied:

"No. I need to work the notice period of my current job first."

5bede4ec612b5_ScreenShot2018-11-15at21_27_46.png.c5843ded0582a9c68483f16493cd9e78.png

Walker names first Scotland squad

New Scotland manager Jamie Walker has named his squad for the Nations League double header against Israel and Albania.

Experienced campaigners Grant Hanley, Charlie Mulgrew, Craig Gordon and Robert Snodgrass have all missed out with Walker selecting a mixture of experience and uncapped players.

Walker spoke to the press after he named his squad:

What's your reasoning behind selecting Liam Cooper, Michael Devlin and John Souttar; three uncapped centre backs, while excluding more experienced defenders like Grant Hanley and Charlie Mulgrew?

Grant Hanley is a donkey who cannot head the ball properly and looks like he should be driving a tractor. Charlie Mulgrew is just plain shite and always has been.

But might such a decision backfire on you? Wouldn't young uncapped centre backs benefit from having an experienced partner alongside them?

Aye, but not when said "experienced partner" is Grant Hanley or Charlie Mulgrew. And we have two experienced goalkeepers who can talk them through the game if need be anyway. Are you seriously advocating selecting Grant Hanley?

Moving on, Scotland fans are excited and anxious to see what effect your management is going to have on your team. However, it has been suggested by both fans and pundits that your appointment is a practical joke gone too far and that you should resign before you harm Scotland's chances of qualifying for the European Championships. What do you say to that?

Anyone who thinks my appointment is a joke can come meet me at 12 Ruel Street. Bring yer maw n all.

Israel 1 Scotland 2 - 7/9/2018

Scotland have started their Nations League campaign with a victory in Jamie Walker's first match in charge.

When Scotland found themselves behind in the first half to a Tomer Hemed goal, their fans must have been wondering if they would come to rue the appointment of an inexperienced manager.

However, Scotland reacted immediately with Leigh Griffith meeting a Matt Ritchie cross to force home the equaliser.

Ritchie and Griffiths combined again for the winner in the 52nd minute. Ritchie's shot was spilled by Marciano which allowed the Celtic striker to tap the ball into the net.

5bedfea687916_ScreenShot2018-11-15at23_17_39.png.afac795910d83cc620737c73faa380b0.png

Scotland 2 Albania 0 10/9/2018

A Stuart Armstrong wonder goal lit up Hampden Park in the first-half of this evenings Nations League match.

Armstrong's shot from distance found its way past Albania's goalkeeper with the aid of the woodwork to give Scotland the lead.

Leigh Griffiths doubled Scotland's advantage from the penalty spot in the 55th minute after Matt Ritchie was pushed over at a corner.

Scotland manager Jamie Walker spoke to the press at Hampden after the match:

So Jamie, you have two wins from your opening two matches of the Nations League and currently top the group.  Are you pleased with performances so far?

In general, yes. I was pleased with the teams' reaction to going behind in Israel ,and I felt that we controlled possession tonight and deserved the victory. We have managed to put ourselves into a good position going into the final two games.

When your squad was chosen, your decision to omit certain experienced players in favour of younger players was criticised. Is this a selection policy that you are going to continue?

I will pick the squad that I feel is the best available to me. I believe that I have a responsibility to try to build a positive future for the national team, and that involves giving younger players their first caps. John Souttar and Michael Devlin made their debuts in Israel and coped well.

Is there not the danger that untried youngsters might not be good enough?

There is always that risk, but there's no point sticking with the same group of players who have failed us in the past.

You have a friendly against Ukraine lined up before you take on Israel at Hampden. Can we expect to see more players making their debut in that game?

If anyone impresses me enough then yes.

John Souttar out for season - 17/09/2018

soutt-e1536664507972.jpg.15a831f3abf6d6ddbef37cf127693697.jpg

21 year old Hearts defender John Souttar has been ruled out for the season after sustaining damaged cruciate ligaments during a training session with his club.

Souttar, who won his first and second caps in Scotland's opening two Nations League matches, faces 8 months on the sidelines.

5bee12a836f92_ScreenShot2018-11-16at00_43_00.png.d2425fa3502a952e931ad78466223f43.png

Walker names squad for Ukraine friendly & Israel NL match

Jamie Walker looks set to experiment in the upcoming friendly match against Ukraine after naming five uncapped players in his latest squad. 

Zander Clark, Liam Lindsay, Liam Cooper, Stuart Findlay and Karlan Grant will all hope to make their debut at some point in the match.

Also making the squad for the first time under new manager Walker is Jon McLaughlin, Chris Cadden, Johnny Russell and Dylan McGeouch. These player featured under previous manager Alex McLeish and will be looking to impress the new manager and stake a claim for a place in future squads.

John Souttar, Scott McKenna and Steven O'Donnell are ruled out through injury.

5bee934d7a71b_ScreenShot2018-11-16at09_51_52.png.064a583a2a526aba1ae71eac14d4ac1c.png

5bee93b626a56_ScreenShot2018-11-16at09_53_34.png.0deca8808d913667e5d48f1fa92a3909.png

Ukraine 2 Scotland 1 - 10/10/2018

An experimental Scotland side fell to a 2-1 defeat in Kiev.

Jon McLaughlin, who has 7 clean sheets in 11 appearances for Sunderland this season, started in goal behind a centre back pairing of debutants Liam Lindsay and Paul Hanlon (a late replacement for the injured Michael Devlin). Johnny Russell occupied the left-wing slot and Steven Fletcher started up front.

Scotland took the lead in the 33rd minute when James Forrest met Andy Robertson's cross to score his first international goal.

However, set pieces proved to be Scotland's undoing as a failure to properly clear a free kick resulted in Ukraine grabbing an equaliser before halftime.  An 84th minute corner allowed Ukraine to score a late winner and condemn Scotland to their first defeat under Jamie Walker.

A raft of second-half Scotland substitutions saw Zander Clark, Liam Cooper and Stuart Findlay make their international debuts while Nicky Cadden, Matt Ritchie and Leigh Griffiths also came off the bench.

5bee9cda186d7_ScreenShot2018-11-16at10_31_56.png.630ca6026e7ecd3514f9efd973971e29.png

Scotland 4 Israel 2 - 15/10/2018

A quartet of players scored their first Scotland goals as Scotland secured a comfortable 4-2 victory over Israel at Hampden Park. The result ensured that Scotland won the group with a game to spare. Callum McGregor scored a long range shot before Callum Paterson doubled Scotland's advantage with a header following a corner.

Israel pulled a goal back a minute later but Scotland continued to dominate the match. Scotland substitute Karlan Grant grabbed a debut goal before Israel pulled a second goal back and began to dream of finding an unlikely equaliser.  It wasn't to be though, as Tom Cairney added Scotland's fourth in injury time.

Manager Jamie Walker spoke to the media following the game.

Jamie, you have won the group today with that victory. How pleased are you with that result?

Very pleased, I thought it was a dominant attacking display against a team that were aiming to frustrate us with their deep midfield.

Remarkably, the last five Scotland goals have been scored by players breaking their international ducks. How important is it for these players to score their first international goal?

It gives these young players the confidence that they can compete at international level.

Is there any truth to the rumour that Malky Mackay delivered the halftime team talk against Israel?

What?! No! I wouldn't let him anywhere near my team.

Will you be caving into the demand on social media and popular Scottish Football forum Pie and Bovril to include more St Johnstone players, as well as Championship hotshots Lawrence Shankland and Stephen Dobbie, in your squad?

No.

5beecb5e82a2b_ScreenShot2018-11-16at13_51_01.png.adf9326aba3d933fbbda9cb862536e98.png

Walker announces squad for Albania NL match & Uruguay friendly

There are no uncapped players in the latest squad as Scotland look to end their Nations League campaign with their perfect record intact.

Scotland manager Jamie Walker spoke to the media after revealing his squad.

There were rumours on social media of a bust-up between yourself and Roy Aitken, which led to Aitken's departure from his position of Assistant Manager. Can you shed any light on this?

Aye, he was suggesting that I call up shite players like Snodgrass, Hanley and Mulgrew into my squad. I laughed in his face and told him to f**k off.

You have called up three goalkeepers who are all in their thirties. Are you alarmed at all by the lack of outstanding young Scottish goalkeepers coming through?

I wouldn't go that far. There are a few younger keepers who show promise and could make the breakthrough at their clubs soon.

With the Nations League group already won, many fans are excited to see Uruguay come to Hampden. How do you think your side will handle a world class striker like Suarez?

I hope his handler remembers to put a muzzle on that dirty b*****d! But seriously, as long as no one gets bitten I don't mind what they do to stop him.

Scotland 3 Uruguay 4 - 20/11/2018

5bef0edbcfd2f_ScreenShot2018-11-16at18_39_02.png.064c119abaaf831516b0d580f0033b73.png

Scotland will be rueing a poor first-half display after coming close to mounting an unlikely comeback in the second-half of this friendly. Trailing 4-0 before three goals in eleven minutes set up a grand stand finish as Scotland threw caution to the wind and chased an equaliser.

5 hours ago, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

5bef11b09090a_ScreenShot2018-11-16at18_51_09.png.4d3aa867015a887a84840ba04aef67d7.png

The final standings of the Nations League group. That's how it's done!

St Johnstone player in Squad.

Scotland top group.

Coincidence?

I was working today and will be working tomorrow and monday so there will be no updates until monday night at the earliest.

On 16/11/2018 at 19:49, JamieStevenson said:

Ukraine are the best team in the world on my save so be careful with them.

I certainly won't be taking Ukraine lightly. They have a few cracking players. My opening fixture is against them actually.

There's always the playoffs if I make an arse of this.

Archived