Poverty Proofing

ICTChris

My kids go to school in I think going by simd the poorest area of Scotland. The school has uniform but also provides a gym kit, cutting down on trainer related jibes. I really don’t see need kids cutting about in £1k jackets! 

Theres pressure on schools to keep cost of school day down. 

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Is the clothes bullying happening at Primary School or exclusive to High schools?

Personally I noticed it from about 2nd or 3rd year onwards. 1st example of this was Nike Air Max and Reebok pumps.

I recall at primary school (in the late 90s) at various points there was pressure to get Kickers shoes and Nike or Adidas trainers. Particularly Nike Air Max at one point and Nike Cortez at another. Probably about Primary 5 and onwards. Can’t imagine it’ll be much different these days.

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

I recall at primary school (in the late 90s) at various points there was pressure to get Kickers shoes and Nike or Adidas trainers. Particularly Nike Air Max at one point and Nike Cortez at another. Probably about Primary 5 and onwards. Can’t imagine it’ll be much different these days.

I remember the kickers phase now you've said it.

It was ridiculous afterwards how many kids had Rockports or Timberland boots.

I'd guess more than half the school had a pair of either.

When I was about 13 my mum got me a lovely red and yellow jacket that must have cost her about £100 for my bday. I was quite short and had glasses back then so it wasn’t the most ideal of colour choices as not before long I was getting called noddy by the older kids at school. Rather than tell my mum I didn’t like the jacket I just wore it when leaving the house and then stuck it in my bag when I got on the bus and got wet if it rained.

8 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Is the clothes bullying happening at Primary School or exclusive to High schools?

Personally I noticed it from about 2nd or 3rd year onwards. 1st example of this was Nike Air Max and Reebok pumps.

I genuinely read that first line as Primark Schools. 

Getting Primark to sponsor schools and getting the pupils to dress only in their clothes would ensure an affordable yet comfortable and on trend environment for students. 

Kids at school these days must be even more cretinous than they were 10 years ago. Imagine bullying someone because they can’t afford a jacket that costs nearly a grand. When I was at school you got bullied for wearing jackets from places like Asda or Tesco - but the jackets the bullies had on weren’t exactly breaking the bank, it would be a Nike or Adidas number from JJB or the like.

I remember receiving a smart jacket once from my stepdad. He said his mate, who worked in a Gortex factory, gave it to him but it didn’t fit. Apparently the jacket was due to branded a Hugo Boss but hadn’t been labelled yet - although Gortex had already stuck their label on it. I wore it to school and of course when I explained the story I got jeered and the jacket was forever known as the “fake Hugo Boss.” I still have the jacket and I still wear it for either going to work or for special occasions like a nice dinner. It’s smart as f**k. Still gets called the fake Hugo Boss though.