Elgin vs Clyde

We were miles better with eleven so the red card didn't change things other than it probably made it harder for us to score more. Still, we should have got far more than the three we did get.

Same eleven but we put McStay deep with Nicoll and physically they dominated the match. Syvertsen behind DGW. Rankin, who was outstanding, and Lamont everywhere playing off the wings.

First goal came from a sublime back heel from Rankim that put Syvertsen through, he passed onto Goodwillie was was chopped down with only the keeper to beat. Second was a daft foul by Omar, a good delivery from Rankin and the ball hit Beattie and went in (No surprise as he's the size of the penalty area).

We were in control before McGovern's madness and nothing changed. Lots of chances for Goodwillie and Lyon. Good wee hooked cross from DGW to set up Love for an easy header. Disappointing to lose a goal late on, poor defending at back post possibly from Cuddihy. Totally undeserved.

Great to win again up here again finally. We look to have Elgin's number this season with our pace in midfield.

Back four cruised it, Cogill again a difference maker. Rankin my MotM just ahead of McStay. Syvertsen played a lot of quicker touches, kept the ball rather than running with it. Nicoll in charge. Lamont picked up every second ball in the first half and hit the bar with a stonking shot. Goodwillie played well but should have scored more. Snatching at things a bit.

Elgin were absolutely diabolical. A couple of players overweight, their captain losing the plot, and even Cameron had a stinker and seemed to be the source of their fans angst. Gifted us the ball so much. Heading down the table I reckon.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were miles better with eleven so the red card didn't change things other than it probably made it harder for us to score more. Still, we should have got far more than the three we did get.
Same eleven but we put McStay deep with Nicoll and physically they dominated the match. Syvertsen behind DGW. Rankin, who was outstanding, and Lamont everywhere playing off the wings.
First goal came from a sublime back heel from Rankim that put Syvertsen through, he passed onto Goodwillie was was chopped down with only the keeper to beat. Second was a daft foul by Omar, a good delivery from Rankin and the ball hit Beattie and went in (No surprise as he's the size of the penalty area).
We were in control before McGovern's madness and nothing changed. Lots of chances for Goodwillie and Lyon. Good wee hooked cross from DGW to set up Love for an easy header. Disappointing to lose a goal late on, poor defending at back post possibly from Cuddihy. Totally undeserved.
Great to win again up here again finally. We look to have Elgin's number this season with our pace in midfield.
Back four cruised it, Cogill again a difference maker. Rankin my MotM just ahead of McStay. Syvertsen played a lot of quicker touches, kept the ball rather than running with it. Nicoll in charge. Lamont picked up every second ball in the first half and hit the bar with a stonking shot. Goodwillie played well but should have scored more. Snatching at things a bit.
Elgin were absolutely diabolical. A couple of players overweight, their captain losing the plot, and even Cameron had a stinker and seemed to be the source of their fans angst. Gifted us the ball so much. Heading down the table I reckon.

Great to hear that Mcstay and Lamont in particular had good matches as there is no doubting their ability. The challenge for them is to replicate that every week. Playing more centrally perhaps suiting Mcstay more?

Clyde are a completely different team from the last few visits to Boroughbriggs and should easily make the playoffs. They should have won today by a much bigger margin and if Goodwillie had his shooting boots on would have done so. Elgin are in a mess and sadly I do not think the manager has any clue how to solve their problems.  The constant changes of formation suggest he is struggling. I was disappointed that  John McGovern was back in midfield today as he does not have the legs for that role and we missed his passing from the back today. Beattie and co simply booted the ball long giving the midfield and forwards little chance. We also have a few players who are not up to the standard required and I fear we will continue to slide down the table .

Hopefully our current points  total will be enough to avoid being sucked into the bottom of the table battle.

Clyde are a completely different team from the last few visits to Boroughbriggs and should easily make the playoffs. They should have won today by a much bigger margin and if Goodwillie had his shooting boots on would have done so. Elgin are in a mess and sadly I do not think the manager has any clue how to solve their problems.  The constant changes of formation suggest he is struggling. I was disappointed that  John McGovern was back in midfield today as he does not have the legs for that role and we missed his passing from the back today. Beattie and co simply booted the ball long giving the midfield and forwards little chance. We also have a few players who are not up to the standard required and I fear we will continue to slide down the table .

Hopefully our current points  total will be enough to avoid being sucked into the bottom of the table battle.

Last couple of times I have seen Elgin they have surprised me they look a shadow of the team from one or two seasons ago Elgin were always one of the best football teams to watch always a good open game I doubt they will be involved near the bottom of the league

Though

Well done Clyde reading the stats it should have been more. Elgin are evidently struggling but I'll take the win...

Another break lessoned by today's result though with some winnable games coming up

Some people were slating Rankin just a few weeks ago but I think the last 2 away games (Edinburgh and Elgin) has showed what he can do and without doubt he leaves his all on the pitch. Was all over the park today, not afraid to take the ball and 9 times out of 10 found a red shirt going forward. He looked to have more freedom to move about and it suited him perfectly. He’s going to be a very important player for us this season.

Penalty, man advantage, O.G., last minute goal conceded. Great away win?
Wasn’t there so can pass no opinion on the overall performance.
Finding it difficult to feel anything more than satisfaction at the result rather than fevered anticipation for future fixtures.

7 hours ago, clyde_darren said:

Some people were slating Rankin just a few weeks ago but I think the last 2 away games (Edinburgh and Elgin) has showed what he can do and without doubt he leaves his all on the pitch. Was all over the park today, not afraid to take the ball and 9 times out of 10 found a red shirt going forward. He looked to have more freedom to move about and it suited him perfectly. He’s going to be a very important player for us this season.

He deserved the slating just as much as he now deserves the praise- he’s improved massively and is now looking like the player we thought we’d signed.

Elgin managers level of deflection is Mourinho-esque. 

Rabin got the ball. Rabin didn't foul Rankin. McGovern was taking a throw. Key decisions went against us. Absolute drivel; try having the ball for more than 5 seconds at a time and you might get something.

Did think Grant should have been booked in fairness.

The highlights are basically the whole game without our spells of possession and a corner kick Elgin had at the start of the second half.

Archived