Bradford

ayrshire_nomad

I live on the Leeds Bradford border.

Bradford is a shithole. Genuinely an absolute toilet. You may think the above is hyperbole but it really is horrendous. It's a shame as it was a nice place historically. Lots of nice buildings left to ruin.

Go to Leeds for a night out. Not that far. About 15 quid in an Uber 

5 hours ago, Leeds Saint said:

If you insist on Bradford then North Parade has some nice pubs and sunbridge wells in the city centre is spread over about 5 floors and is decent. Go to Leeds though.

Concise and accurate. But everyone should go to Bradford once, there's usually a few football choices as well between City and quite a few non-league teams.

Digressing slightly, Wolverhampton is worse than Bradford.

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Bollocks, Leeds is much better. Manchester Centre is a bit of a coup in places.

I loved the centre of Manchester, coup as it was in places.  Then again, I'm from Dundee and I was living in Bolton at the time so the bar was set low!

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I loved the centre of Manchester, coup as it was in places.  

I went to see Oasis in Manchester years ago and while we waited for our train back we say in Piccadilly Gardens.  There was a guy lying on the grass, absolutely sparked.  We were there for ages and he didn't move a muscle, we were convinced he was dead.  A warden eventually came and nudged him and after a few gentle prods he woke up and stumbled off.  This was in the mid 2000s so years before the current 'Spice zombie' thing that is apparently at it's worst in Manchester.

56 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I went to see Oasis in Manchester years ago and while we waited for our train back we say in Piccadilly Gardens.  There was a guy lying on the grass, absolutely sparked.  We were there for ages and he didn't move a muscle, we were convinced he was dead.  A warden eventually came and nudged him and after a few gentle prods he woke up and stumbled off.  This was in the mid 2000s so years before the current 'Spice zombie' thing that is apparently at it's worst in Manchester.

I'm happy to report I've picked myself up since those days! 

• 2 weeks later...

For my 10 year work anniversary, I got a voucher that entitled me to a selection of exceedingly scratchy looking hotels all over the UK.

As my other half was off to Dubai, and a workmate secured me a ticket for a Sunday lunchtime Leeds v Newcastle match a couple of years back, I ended up choosing a hotel in Bingley, just north of Bradford.

Memories of the area were of quite a bonnie area called Saltaire (between Bingley and Bradford), which is a heritage site for Victorian mill life and thus had a few decent bars and restaurants around it due to the tourist angle.

Into Bradford itself and a cliche I know, but TripAdvisor pointed me to Bharat and the curry was as sublime as you'd hope for in Bradford.  A cut above and great value for money.

The city itself? Well it was November, but it seemed a downtrodden place full of old tenements with the odd concrete jungle and some local businesses and the usual retail parks.  Old Yorkshire sprinkled with a large south asian ethnicity. 

Authentic enough though, and I was glad I visited - as I'd been to Leeds itself several times before, and had never had any reason to go to Bradford before that.  Not sure how Anthony O'Connor is enjoying life there after a couple of seasons in god's country. 

20 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

For my 10 year work anniversary, I got a voucher that entitled me to a selection of exceedingly scratchy looking hotels all over the UK.

As my other half was off to Dubai, and a workmate secured me a ticket for a Sunday lunchtime Leeds v Newcastle match a couple of years back, I ended up choosing a hotel in Bingley, just north of Bradford.

Memories of the area were of quite a bonnie area called Saltaire (between Bingley and Bradford), which is a heritage site for Victorian mill life and thus had a few decent bars and restaurants around it due to the tourist angle.

Into Bradford itself and a cliche I know, but TripAdvisor pointed me to Bharat and the curry was as sublime as you'd hope for in Bradford.  A cut above and great value for money.

The city itself? Well it was November, but it seemed a downtrodden place full of old tenements with the odd concrete jungle and some local businesses and the usual retail parks.  Old Yorkshire sprinkled with a large south asian ethnicity. 

Authentic enough though, and I was glad I visited - as I'd been to Leeds itself several times before, and had never had any reason to go to Bradford before that.  Not sure how Anthony O'Connor is enjoying life there after a couple of seasons in god's country. 

O'Connor has been playing LCB with Ryan McGowan next to him in centre of defence.

That is one of many reasons they are bottom of the division.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The area around Saltaire is nice for a day out in the country. Reasonably cheap property due to its BD postcode.

Archived