Will we top the group?

A win on Tuesday and we're very likely to get a home playoff game with 9pts.

Finland can get to 9pts in group 2 with an away win in Hungary but, assuming we win, they'd have to win by 5+ to beat our goal difference.

Same for Norway in group 3. They'd have to win in Cyprus by 5+ to match our goal difference.

The max for group 4 is Serbia on 8pts.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 14:24, TurbineTon said:

Fair enough. I concede that you're probably right in that it has become an easy thing for folk to do. I myself have held this viewpoint for a long time. 

I suspect you must work for them or something and respect your views on the matter nonetheless. 

It's all about opinions. 

...Oh my. .....

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:58, charger29 said:

A win on Tuesday and we're very likely to get a home playoff game with 9pts.

Finland can get to 9pts in group 2 with an away win in Hungary but, assuming we win, they'd have to win by 5+ to beat our goal difference.

Same for Norway in group 3. They'd have to win in Cyprus by 5+ to match our goal difference.

The max for group 4 is Serbia on 8pts.

Confirmed that we'll be home in the semi with a win after Finland slipped up to Hungary.

On the subject of 'will we top the group'? The answer as things stand is probably, as we now have it in our own hands (I know) at home against a team we should be able to beat this time, with surely a proper set up tactically. Play the same side that just managed to knock 4 past Albania and we should certainly get the job done tomorrow. Assuming that happens. McLeish must be safe for the time being, which, from a selfish point of view I am quite happy about as I fear that Steve Clarke would top the list of any possible replacements.

Also, given that we are looking good for a home draw in the semi, we should, by then, have a team which is good enough to take us to the final, and hopefully, the Euros.

With regard to the SFA, yes they did make a mistake in putting all their faith in O'Neil taking the job. However, as things have turned out he is now struggling a bit due to N.Ireland having a set of players who have largely gotten too old at the same time. Would he have been better than McLeish? Almost certainly, but we will never know.

In other areas of the SFA we do have some positives, with the women's side qualifying for their first World Cup, following on from their Euro qualification. The organisation in fairness does also do a look of good work around the country with coaching for people at all ages and levels of the game. Also the Under 21 side is generally improving (a horrible 1-1 draw away to Andorra aside). So, it is the men's national team which on the surface is still struggling and admittedly is our main and most important focus. There is no doubt that such a high level of call offs reflects badly on the management. I accept that the board do still get a lot wrong, but there are positives in our game outside the men's side, as cited.

Any suggestions of were to park for the game tomorrow? I am volunteering so need to be their for 5:30 and don’t finish college till 4 in Cumbernauld so will be a bit of a struggle to park in town centre and get a bus/train so was hoping for suggestions of were to park closer the stadium? Thanks.

28 minutes ago, clyde_darren said:

Any suggestions of were to park for the game tomorrow? I am volunteering so need to be their for 5:30 and don’t finish college till 4 in Cumbernauld so will be a bit of a struggle to park in town centre and get a bus/train so was hoping for suggestions of were to park closer the stadium? Thanks.

Try Curtis Avenue or one of side roads. Make sure your outside the no parking zone (unless you get a pass). You’ll be 5-10 mins walk. 

On 19/11/2018 at 08:23, lanky_ffc said:

Confirmed that we'll be home in the semi with a win after Finland slipped up to Hungary.

And partly due to that slip up, if we win tonight we will play Finland at home in March 2020 (assuming none of the group winners qualify automatically).

11 minutes ago, charger29 said:

And partly due to that slip up, if we win tonight we will play Finland at home in March 2020 (assuming none of the group winners qualify automatically).

Is it not a draw for who we play?  Looking like Finland and Norway will be the "away" sides, assumed it would just be an open draw from there.  Is it seeded 1 v 4 and 2 v 3?  In that case it'd likely be Norway.

EDIT: Just saw that it's bracketed that way.  We could still finish top, in which case we'd play Finland.  But if Serbia win then they'll be sitting top, and we'll get Norway.  Still not certain at this stage.

7 minutes ago, forameus said:

Is it not a draw for who we play?  Looking like Finland and Norway will be the "away" sides, assumed it would just be an open draw from there.  Is it seeded 1 v 4 and 2 v 3?  In that case it'd likely be Norway.

I'm assuming wiki is right:

Each play-off path will feature two single-leg semi-finals, and one single-leg final, taking place in March 2020. The best-ranked team will host the fourth-ranked team, and the second-ranked team will host the third-ranked team. The host of the final will be decided by a draw in November 2019 between the two semi-final pairings.

If we win tonight it will be:

Scotland 9pts (~+6 GD)

Norway 9pts (+4 GD)

Serbia 8pts or Romania 6pts (Rom will have +GD if they win)

Finland 6pts (0 GD)

20 minutes ago, forameus said:

EDIT: Just saw that it's bracketed that way.  We could still finish top, in which case we'd play Finland.  But if Serbia win then they'll be sitting top, and we'll get Norway.  Still not certain at this stage.

It's 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. If Serbia win they won't be seeded 1st. You have to take off their results v Lithuania which would leave them with 8pts. 

We also might not play Finland even by being seeded 1st as even with Finland currently seeded 4th all it would take is any of the other 2 teams top of their group to qualify via the qualifiers and Finland would be bumped up to 3rd. 

Guest DAVIDB69

Would prefer Finland we have always had trouble with Norway over the years.

Going far ahead Serbia for a place at the tournament would probably be too difficult

19 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I'm assuming wiki is right:

If we win tonight it will be:

Scotland 9pts (~+6 GD)

Norway 9pts (+4 GD)

Serbia 8pts or Romania 6pts (Rom will have +GD if they win)

Finland 6pts (0 GD)

16 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It's 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. If Serbia win they won't be seeded 1st. You have to take off their results v Lithuania which would leave them with 8pts. 

We also might not play Finland even by being seeded 1st as even with Finland currently seeded 4th all it would take is any of the other 2 teams top of their group to qualify via the qualifiers and Finland would be bumped up to 3rd. 

I'm a tit.  I was counting Serbia's result tonight, completely forgetting that that game was against Lithuania, so they can't pick up any more points.  So yeah, a win for us (and a good win for Israel) will see us top of the pile, and a match with Finland.

19 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Aye, I was wondering if this would pop up. 

I was pished, and wanted to gloat at someone, and don't know any Albanians.

'Pologies.

I've only just returned from Glorious Tirana also somewhat pished, hence the confusion. 

Pology accepted. 

Archived