Starting XI v Albania

Jacky1990

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, struggling to see why Phillips would be chosen over a guy that's actually playing up front in the EPL. Expect Paterson to start, as will Forrest, Fraser, McGregor and Christie IMO.

I don't quite get this, tbh. Christie's stock has risen incredibly after about 3 good games. Paterson was not much more than a (pretty hopeless) big lump for many fans a month ago, but after a short spell of decent form is a favourite to start with many. It's a short space of time to judge a player. 

I totally understand why we would want to pick players who are playing and on form, but good short term club form does not mean that a player will be able to carry that over to a national side. The league that they're playing in isn't always the best guide either. Playing in the EPL hasn't made Kevin McDonald a better player than he was last year, and Phillips isn't a worse player than he was when he was playing well in the EPL. One of the most important parts of the job of the international manager is judging the difference between form and quality (when a player is simply a good run when things are going their way in a particular set-up, when players off form will be able to shake that off for international duty, which players have real potential and quality, which players are just on a good run, etc.).

Archie Campbell once scored 11 goals in 8 games for Morton - that didn't make him a great player, it just meant that he had a good spell feeding off Peter Weatherson. Outside of the specific conditions of that form he would have looked like his usual self. 

This isn't a judgement on these players in particular, more that judging a player by short term form or the league that they are playing in is often very misleading when it comes to international football. 

7 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I don't quite get this, tbh. Christie's stock has risen incredibly after about 3 good games. Paterson was not much more than a (pretty hopeless) big lump for many fans a month ago, but after a short spell of decent form is a favourite to start with many. It's a short space of time to judge a player. 

When did anyone have Paterson down as hopeless big lump?  He's aso not being judged over a short period, he was Cardiff's top scorer last season when they were promoted.  Fletcher has had a bang average start to the season in a lower league, for me it's Paterson or McBurnie.

I'd go:

McGregor

Tierney   Bates   McKenna  Robertson

McGregor  Armstrong

Russell           Phillips                   Fraser

Paterson

When did anyone have Paterson down as hopeless big lump?  He's aso not being judged over a short period, he was Cardiff's top scorer last season when they were promoted.  Fletcher has had a bang average start to the season in a lower league, for me it's Paterson or McBurnie.
I'd go:
                        McGregor
             McGregor  Armstrong
                        Paterson

I like that team, but there’s no chance McLeish goes as attacking as that.

56 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'd go:

McGregor

McGregor  Armstrong

Paterson

Use the search function and go back to the summer. It comes mostly off the back of his performances for Scotland, and that only reinforces the point that I was making - that people are very quick to judge based on short-term form.  There was certainly enthusiasm after his performances for Cardiff last season. 

FWIW, I think I had him down in one of my proposed starting line-ups last month. As I said, it wasn't about Paterson in particular. It was about being too quick to shift judgements on players based on form or the league that they're playing in. 

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tierney is now confirmed as out, which means we have literally no right back.

Unless they bring Paterson back to right back, which would probably go poorly as he's not good at the defensive part of being a defender

We will probably get away with it over these two matches, but there can be absolutely no excuse for the shambles that has been the selection of this squad. Call-offs happen, but not replacing players properly in a timely manner is unforgivable.

How in the name of f**k can we possibly be going into an important qualifier with one left-back, three centre-backs and no right-backs?

We will probably get away with it over these two matches, but there can be absolutely no excuse for the shambles that has been the selection of this squad. Call-offs happen, but not replacing players properly in a timely manner is unforgivable.
How in the name of f**k can we possibly be going into an important qualifier with one left-back, three centre-backs and no right-backs?

I think you’re being polite.

But all of that falls on McLeish. He’s not fit for purpose.

Paterson will have to play right back. Or they may even call up Jason Naismith. Which, as much as I like the guy, is utterly ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think you’re being polite.

But all of that falls on McLeish. He’s not fit for purpose.

Paterson will have to play right back. Or they may even call up Jason Naismith. Which, as much as I like the guy, is utterly ridiculous.

Jason Naismith, Ricky Foster, Steven Whittaker, whoever, you just need to get at least one fucking right-back on a plane to Albania, just in case. And they haven't. They'll be able to call someone in for Tuesday, but there is no excuse for not doing it sooner.

Archived