Starting XI v Albania

Jacky1990

Given we only have 3 centre backs in the entire squad, can only assume (hope) we'll revert to a back 4 for these games.  Would love to see Fraser being played wide left as he does for Bournemouth, cutting in and creating space for Robertson to run into. Paterson to be a wrecking ball between midfield and striker.

I'd go with:

McGregor
--
Tierney
Devlin
McKenna
Robertson
--
Forrest
McGinn
McGregor
Fraser
--
Paterson
--
McBurnie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Given we only have 3 centre backs in the entire squad, can only assume (hope) we'll revert to a back 4 for these games.  Would love to see Fraser being played wide left as he does for Bournemouth, cutting in and creating space for Robertson to run into. Paterson to be a wrecking ball between midfield and striker.

I'd go with:

McGregor
--
Tierney
Devlin
McKenna
Robertson
--
Forrest
McGinn
McGregor
Fraser
--
Paterson
--
McBurnie

My choice:

A McGregor

Tierney (rb) 

Bates

McKenna

Robertson 

C McGregor 

McGinn

Forrest

Armstrong

Fraser

S Fletcher

I know Fletcher gets pelters but he is an intelligent link up player and with the energy behind him and with it being an away game think he's the right option. Picked Bates as I like him and don't really know Devlin too well. 

6 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Check out @SkySportsNews’s Tweet:

:lol:

Is that a new record for a replacement call-up?  He only got called up to start with last night.

As for the starting line-up...

20 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

My choice:

A McGregor

Tierney (rb) 

Bates

McKenna

Robertson 

C McGregor 

McGinn

Forrest

Armstrong

Fraser

S Fletcher

I know Fletcher gets pelters but he is an intelligent link up player and with the energy behind him and with it being an away game think he's the right option. Picked Bates as I like him and don't really know Devlin too well. 

I'd go largely with this.  Get Fletcher on, and if it isn't working then we have younger players behind him to try and do something.  Get players up supporting him and he will at least get them the ball.

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

image.png.c08d4dc5871ce80cd7ec52cd59546997.png

I'd imagine that'll be the team, short of any drop outs.  And make no bones about it, it's a 4-6-0.  Matt Phillips is being asked to play completely out of position, and it's no wonder they can't score any goals.  The back four is horrendous, but given the number of drop outs, the midfield isn't completely horrendous.

In an effort to find some grain of positivity, it is quite nice that our squad and the proposed lineups above all feature guys largely in their early-mid 20s. I know that's partly-enforced because of McArthur, Snodgrass, Ritchie etc etc, but it at least offers hope of growth as a squad over a fair few qualifying cycles.  Also, despite the many call-offs, only Mulgrew and McGinn were ever in my initial starting XI of:

McGregor

Tierney McKenna Mulgrew Robertson

McGinn McGregor

Forrest Christie Fraser

McBurnie 

As it stands, I'd now go with:

McGregor

Tierney McKenna Bates  Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Forrest Christie Fraser

McBurnie 

I don't know whether I'd like to see us rest a couple of players for the more important match, or just go for it. 

If it's the latter then something like this:

____________McGregor

Tierney__Bates__McKenna__Robertson

_____Armstrong__McGregor

Forrest______Fraser______Russell

______________Phillips

Albania are terrible at the moment, we should be right up in their faces going for it. I wouldn't like to see what might happen if we sit back. 

We’ll be playing 5 at the back again, no? Grant has been defending it again in the past few days.

McGregor
Fraser Bates McKenna Tierney Robertson
McGregor McTominay Armstrong
Russell Phillips

That’s how I think we’ll go. Significantly worse than any of the 4-2-3-1’s above.

We’ll be playing 5 at the back again, no? Grant has been defending it again in the past few days.

McGregor
Fraser Bates McKenna Tierney Robertson
McGregor McTominay Armstrong
Russell Phillips

That’s how I think we’ll go. Significantly worse than any of the 4-2-3-1’s above.
My heart sank seeing Fraser at RB. Criminal waste of his talent if we persist with him there

I don't mind the idea of Tierney at right back if we have a proper right footed winger ahead of him like Forrest. Would let Tierney cut inside and "innerlap" as opposed to overlap. He's got a good shot on him and would drag someone away from the left hand side of the defence and, hopefully, leave the winger with a few decent opportunities to cross or go 1 v 1 against the left back. If we go with a 4-2-3-1 type system, or three at the back with wingbacks, where we're expecting the fullbacks to bomb forward and create the width then he'll be useless out there and constantly need to check back and play it infield. Better off with Paterson there even if he's playing centrally for Cardiff.

Archived