Football Words

7 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Just about is a cultural thing. Scotland and north of England it means you just fell short.
Further south it means you just did enough.

Probably says more about our psyche than anything else.

Both meanings just about make sense.

Since when? Even if that was the case why just start using it this season?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since when? Even if that was the case why just start using it this season?

It's been done for ever down south. One of Motson's or Pearce's favourite lines.

It used to do my nut in too until I looked it up on the internet, such was my seethe. I was staying in Edinburgh at the time so that was 18 odd years ago.

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:

It's been done for ever down south. One of Motson's or Pearce's favourite lines.

It used to do my nut in too until I looked it up on the internet, such was my seethe. I was staying in Edinburgh at the time so that was 18 odd years ago.

I have personal, family and work experience of areas below the north of England and can assure you it is not in general use. The dictionary definitions are also perfectly clear. There is absolutely no justification for its current footballing use. You are the only person to have said they've heard it being used before this season.

I have personal, family and work experience of areas below the north of England and can assure you it is not in general use. The dictionary definitions are also perfectly clear. There is absolutely no justification for its current footballing use. You are the only person to have said they've heard it being used before this season.
You're still wrong though.

26 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:
37 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

You're still wrong though.

:lol:  Yeah, sure. 

[emoji38]  Yeah, sure. 
Well clearly on the "only this season thing". Seriously, the last two decades on BBC it has been used as such.

I'm frantically hoping you're wrong on the meaning too or I'll be back to Cujo-like slavers again when I hear that phrase.

I recall watching Scotsport et al  in the '90s and during the segment where they'd rattle through the severely abridged highlights of the non-OF matches the voiceover would regularly refer to strikers finishing "cool as you like". Don't hear it so much now that Delahunt is off the telly. 

Well clearly on the "only this season thing". Seriously, the last two decades on BBC it has been used as such.

I'm frantically hoping you're wrong on the meaning too or I'll be back to Cujo-like slavers again when I hear that phrase.
I seem to have the idea it was Andy Townsend who started it so you are indeed going back a good few years (Clive).

Laxadaisical .........instead of lackadaisical or lax. 

These .........in the context of opponents , usually said arrogantly by the likes of Lee Dixon speaking about whatever nation England are playing against ......."We're better than these"

Archived