Football Words

7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I'm guessing you don't travel in high financial circles then.

It's a common finance term, referring to when investors who predict a stock, or the market, will rise - and with the antonym bearish. It's a pretty reasonable analogy to footballing performance.

I'm guessing most other football fans, pundits and journos don't either. I know what the word means, it just seems out of context.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omission of either the word "by" or failure to state the full scoreline.....as in "They got beat five" when referring to a game in which the winning team scored five goals , with the amount of goals they conceded , if any, clearly being irrelevant and not worthy of comment.

First I became aware of this was from Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday, but it's become more widespread now ,  Scottish  fitba circles included

2 hours ago, A96 said:

Omission of either the word "by" or failure to state the full scoreline.....as in "They got beat five" when referring to a game in which the winning team scored five goals , with the amount of goals they conceded , if any, clearly being irrelevant and not worthy of comment.

First I became aware of this was from Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday, but it's become more widespread now ,  Scottish  fitba circles included

Never heard of this thankfully. I might combust with rage if I did.

What about words we like to see used in a footballing context that really make very little sense there?

For example, an "agricultural" challenge or clearance or defender. Top quality.

"Get out of the group"

......as in Scotland never get out of the group at a major tournament  (phrase from 20 years ago).

Presumably we're still stuck in this eternal group with Morocco then - who also never made it out during France 98.

More a phrase than a word, but I hate hearing 'get a reaction' or 'need a reaction'  after a team got drilled in their last game.  

Gus McPherson was bad for saying it.  You can play cliche bingo with just his pre and post match interviews actually.

Archived