Football Words

Obviously it’s not unique to Scottish football, but Michael Stewart and Steven Thompson use the word ‘Wonderful’ to describe every bog standard through ball, cross and players haircut. One of those things that bugged my tits as soon as I noticed it, and now I grind my teeth every time I hear it. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Sports journos referring to young goalkeepers as Kid Gloves. That curls my toes.

This. A truly abysmal phrase that should be punishable by having to run 100m across a floor of lego.

For us auld boys, how about the player info in programmes back in the day :

Dependable custodian

Solid/stocky full back

Doughty half back

Commanding pivot 

Tricky winger (of mazy dribble fame)

Skilful / consistent inside forward

Bustling centre forward

All sorts of problems. Usually caused by wingers.

Bomb forward. Reserved to describe the act of a full-back joining in with attacks.

The heartbeat is the unique measure of the speed at which a quality siging would be made. As in, I’d sign him in a heartbeat.

5 hours ago, A96 said:

Laxadaisical .........instead of lackadaisical or lax. 

These .........in the context of opponents , usually said arrogantly by the likes of Lee Dixon speaking about whatever nation England are playing against ......."We're better than these"

Laxadaisical drives me mental, the number of times pundits and players say it is mind boggling.

Can’t help thinking that words like adjudged, audacious and propensity are used in many other contexts but a lot of people don’t read anything other than the sports section.

"Putting in a shift".  Sorry.  Loping round a park and being involved for about 20 minutes if you're lucky is not a shift.  Tell that to the men and women working a 12 hour stint at a hospital and putting up with far too much shit - sometimes literally.

Also far too many commentators cannot pronounce the word substitute because they've forgotten the second "s".  Bad habits.

Archived