Football Words

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never heard the phrase "crack outfit" other than when a Scottish team is playing in Europe, usually against German/Dutch/Belgian/Austrian opposition for some reason.

Were they not usually Soviet Union teams?

Colombian surely?

14 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes. Two things in contact with each other. Grip or friction.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The string-backs give you that extra bit of purchase

no idea whit string backs are but I am a little more enlightened - I maintain however that it is a football pundit's go to and I'll bet the likes of McCoist isn't dropping it into his conversation outside of the gantry.....

Football managers seem to conflate "our" with "we're".  I've never heard anyone, even the most ghastly of Paisley twangs (other bad accents are available) say anything like "The boys are please with we're performance."

I remember Arthur Montford commenting on a Celtic European tie and describing a Billy McNeil pass with the phrase " he did the sensible thing instead of blootering it up the park" in a football context the blooter has no alcohol inference but pertains to the footballers ability (  or lack of ) to control the ball and choosing to lump it usually aimlessly up the park.

Not exclusive to football but it's where I first heard people saying "just about" wrongly. 

"He just about got a hand to it" when the keeper makes a save is one, he didn't "just about" get a hand to it, he fucking did get a hand to it you c**t. 

19 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When a player keeps the ball in play, football commentators will say “and he just about kept it in play there”. Well no, he didn’t just about keep it in play, he did keep it in play. I’ve never heard that nonsense anywhere else.

This.  Every day of the fucking week.

Utter nonsense.  Used to only hear it on commentators down south but its crept up here (Nob McLean Im looking at you).

This year UK football has gained something called an Oh-fence although I've yet to spot one.
Also, it's now the only place where just about doesn't mean just about any more.  
Just about is a cultural thing. Scotland and north of England it means you just fell short.
Further south it means you just did enough.

Probably says more about our psyche than anything else.

Both meanings just about make sense.

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When a player keeps the ball in play, football commentators will say “and he just about kept it in play there”. Well no, he didn’t just about keep it in play, he did keep it in play. I’ve never heard that nonsense anywhere else.

Managed to miss this one before making my post, happy I'm not the only one getting fucking raging about that. :lol:

Football managers seem to conflate "our" with "we're".  I've never heard anyone, even the most ghastly of Paisley twangs (other bad accents are available) say anything like "The boys are please with we're performance."

The Geordie “Wor” for “our” is the closest I can think of

Archived