Football Words

Hello,

As a Motherwell and Scotland fan, I obviously hate football and should probably just be keeping my head down, but for some reason I’ve decided to start a topic with my first ever post here.

What words or phrases are there that are only ever used in a football context? There’s definitely a weird language that is only ever applied to Scottish football. I’ll start with 2. 

1)  Augers. ‘The performance of the two 18 year olds that we flung in at the last minute augers well for the future’. 

2) Derisory. ‘Rangers have received a derisory £17m bid for Alfredo Morelos from an imaginary Chinese club’. 

Any more? If only to occupy me at work today. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello,
As a Motherwell and Scotland fan, I obviously hate football and should probably just be keeping my head down, but for some reason I’ve decided to start a topic with my first ever post here.
What words or phrases are there that are only ever used in a football context? There’s definitely a weird language that is only ever applied to Scottish football. I’ll start with 2. 

1)  Augers. ‘The performance of the two 18 year olds that we flung in at the last minute augers well for the future’. 

2) Derisory. ‘Rangers have received a derisory £17m bid for Alfredo Morelos from an imaginary Chinese club’. 

I've never heard the phrase "crack outfit" other than when a Scottish team is playing in Europe, usually against German/Dutch/Belgian/Austrian opposition for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Jarballs said:
25 minutes ago, Swami said:
Hello,

I've never heard the phrase "crack outfit" other than when a Scottish team is playing in Europe, usually against German/Dutch/Belgian/Austrian opposition for some reason.

Were they not usually Soviet Union teams?

"Stramash" is usually only used in a football context.

32 minutes ago, Jarballs said:

The A-Team were described as a "Crack Commando unit". They usually came up against red necks in the Southern states of America.

The phrase "Good touch for a big lad" has to be unique to football. Never heard it in any other sport. It's almost as if being tall should allow you away with having absolutely none of the prerequisites you'd expect of a professional football player. Suppose that worked OK for Kevin Kyle...

Archived