Dundee United v Alloa 20/11/2018

Thought the highlights were great, well produced.

A touch of bias is expected, and agreed with most of the commentary. Two stonewallers for Alloa, one that's hard to tell WTF happened (Edge foul or a leggy Zanatta falling over his own feet?). Very soft award for United.

We look quite shite tbh, though I'm led to believe that's maybe our worst performances under Neilson, and still a win with 4 goals.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying the ref got what a goal kick right, no penalty right, I'll give benefit of the doubt in the box that there's jostling from both sides, Stephen Hetherington makes no contact and the contact he does make is outside the box. There's more bloody contact on Zanatta and I concede its a good blocking challenge by Edjenguele?

Are you an Alloa fan that you think that those decisions were fair on us? Certainly the people who are in here working for the club agree that they weren't. Certainly there is a complaint going to the head of referee's about it which will no doubt fall on deaf ears.

My standpoint on this is I have a platform like on a matchday like the fans have a platform. If that referee ignores Dundee United's claim then 4000 fans will be hounding every move he makes whether he was right or not. If I point out the referee has made monumental cockups that conceivably lose us points then I have to show the guy up because next time maybe he'll remember it and not ignore the claims. 

Next you'll be telling me that we should be fined for surrounding the referee after said decisions which reminds me forgot to mention in the highlights this is the same ref that missed Falkirk's Zak Rudden punch the ball into the net which killed of all hope in that game.

I'm not going to go in too hard on your reply. There have been plenty others have commented on it already. A few specific points though.

Re 'contact'. If, where and how much contact is made are not the only factors in whether a foul has been committed. It is perfectly possible for a foul to have been committed where there is NO contact, while conversely it can be a legal challenge where there is a lot of contact. If you don't understand that then you don't know enough to even begin to justify the hysteria of your commentary on these tackles.

I'm 99% sure the people in our club that you refer too won't properly understand the laws of the game. So how can they comment with authority on whether the law has been correctly applied?

IMO the ref got the decisions for the Stevie H tackle (it's a reckless one which partly takes place in the box, remember it isn't just about where any contact takes place) and challenge on Dario right. I accept both could have gone the other way, but that's kind of the point. The ref has to make a call at the time after seeing a challenge once, in real time and from one angle. That's what he has done here; made an informed and honest call. If you really don't think that's the case, fair enough, but please try and tone down the victim bleating in your commentary- it's in danger of spoiling what is an otherwise excellent set of highlights.

13 minutes ago, printer said:

I'm not going to go in too hard on your reply. There have been plenty others have commented on it already. A few specific points though.

Re 'contact'. If, where and how much contact is made are not the only factors in whether a foul has been committed. It is perfectly possible for a foul to have been committed where there is NO contact, while conversely it can be a legal challenge where there is a lot of contact. If you don't understand that then you don't know enough to even begin to justify the hysteria of your commentary on these tackles.

I'm 99% sure the people in our club that you refer too won't properly understand the laws of the game. So how can they comment with authority on whether the law has been correctly applied?

IMO the ref got the decisions for the Stevie H tackle (it's a reckless one which partly takes place in the box, remember it isn't just about where any contact takes place) and challenge on Dario right. I accept both could have gone the other way, but that's kind of the point. The ref has to make a call at the time after seeing a challenge once, in real time and from one angle. That's what he has done here; made an informed and honest call. If you really don't think that's the case, fair enough, but please try and tone down the victim bleating in your commentary- it's in danger of spoiling what is an otherwise excellent set of highlights.

Reckless isn't the word you're looking for. Reckless fouls are a yellow card offence. Colour me ignorant of the rules.

Archived