Dundee United v Alloa 20/11/2018

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

This is another game which is key to determining exactly how much things have turned around at Tannadice recently.

In very recent history, a wee run of good performances and results have often been derailed by games we would otherwise have expected to win, and tonight is just such an example.

That being said, I do think that tonight will be a professional performance and we will win 2-0.

Alloa are at a further disadvantage (obviously being part time) but also having played what would appear to have been a very hard game on Saturday, whilst we had our feet up, and our players carrying knocks had more time to recover from them, giving us pretty much a full squad to choose from.

Like I said, in the past, this would be just the type of game we would be absolute stick-ons to f**k up, but I can’t see it happening tonight.

IRWT 

We do have a few players who were cup tied at the weekend who can come back in tonight. But aye, midweek games are tough on part time teams and obviously expecting United to be much better than in previous games against us this season. We were flat on Saturday, which is unlike Alloa this season, so hoping we get a reaction to that. If we could manage to squeeze a point out of it too that would be an excellent outcome. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without wishing to disrespect Alloa, but as has previously been mentioned we've been handed an advantage in this match through alloa having to play twice in 4 days despite being part time, while we've had over a week off. I'm happy enough not to risk Fyvie at all here on that basis and to let Rabitsch come in and try prove he has something to offer. If he can't do that tonight when the team's confidence is as high as its been all season and  when conditions are so weighted in our favour over a part time team then Neilson can safely write him off as a bad signing by Laszlo and start thinking of who he can get in as more adequate cover for midfield in January. Particularly as Barton hasn't made the bench either (assuming it's not because of an injury).

Edit: good to get Clark involved in the starting line up again too. Safranko will remain our main man up front for the season, but Clark should still be a useful asset and it's worth keeping him as sharp for when he's needed.

Very good result despite it being the most lacklustre performance under Neilson.  Alloa deserve a lot of credit, the matched us all the way and put us under a lot of pressure, particularly in the second half though with little end product.

Equally for us to pull back so quickly after conceding then scoring such a quick second says a great deal about the team spirit under Neilson.

I was happy to see Rabbitsch given a chance but he was very poor and without Fyvie we do not dominate the midfield.  Watson looked grubbed after 60 minutes and Aird, despite playing well offensively, was often failing to track back giving Alloa opportunities they should not have had.

Clark was OK but does not fit the 4-2-3-1 formation as well as the others who have been playing that role.  McMullan was far less effective being restricted to a fully wide position though he still put in the effort.

Bouhenna was good as was Edge who deserved MotM ahead of Clark.

Better crowd than I thought it would be given the Scotland game on TV.  

26 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

What was the keeper doing at the free kick? Well out of position, should have been an easy save. 

Not from where I was sitting. Looked like it was hit pretty much perfectly over the wall and curving away from the keeper into the side netting. One of those where you just have to applaud the opposition player for his skill.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Not from where I was sitting. Looked like it was hit pretty much perfectly over the wall and curving away from the keeper into the side netting. One of those where you just have to applaud the opposition player for his skill

Looked like another absolute beauty from Flannigan from the highlights, I don't many keepers anywhere would have got near it. His second cracker against United this season. A real class act in the middle of the park. 

Seems like a good effort from the Wasps and decent response to Saturday. Hopefully we can follow it with a cup win at the weekend. 

40 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Never seen the highlights, but was in line and could see the keeper, at the match, in the wrong position. The ball looked to be at the best height possible for the boy to save.

It's not as if he should have been surprised by the effort, as Flannigan scored from a similar position at Alloa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/callum1247/status/1065057618664857600

Fair enough, if you think the keeper had no chance.

The opening frame of that clip shows Siegrist 2/3 of his way across the goal to his left side, following that he has trouble readjusting his feet to go right. Finally, the ball is hardly in the top corner, it's at the perfect height for a goalkeeper. A 6' 5" keeper.

Well struck by Flannigan, I'll give you that, but the keeper invited him to put it to his right side.

However, Siegrist has had quite a few clean sheets and good saves recently, so I'm maybe being churlish.

18 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Fair enough, if you think the keeper had no chance.

The opening frame of that clip shows Siegrist 2/3 of his way across the goal to his left side, following that he has trouble readjusting his feet to go right. Finally, the ball is hardly in the top corner, it's at the perfect height for a goalkeeper. A 6' 5" keeper.

Well struck by Flannigan, I'll give you that, but the keeper invited him to put it to his right side.

However, Siegrist has had quite a few clean sheets and good saves recently, so I'm maybe being churlish.

Aye, protecting the other side of the goal, as he's meant to. No keeper stands directly in the middle of the goal at a free kick - or certainly shouldn't. The wall is there to protect one side and he protects the other. If the taker is good enough to get the ball up, over the wall and just inside the post then you just have to take your hat off to him.

Archived