Dundee United v Alloa 20/11/2018

Our next game is at home under the floodlights against an Alloa team who won away to Morton at the weekend.

I imagine the severity of Fyvie’s injury will be uppermost in the minds of most Arabs.  Hopefully both he and Booth are fit and back, though we seem to have acceptable cover for LB and centre half.

Our last game against Alloa was on their corridor.  Hopefully this time around we will remove the first four rows of seats on each side of the pitch and allow our wide players full scope.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Hopefully this time around we will remove the first four rows of seats on each side of the pitch and allow our wide players full scope.

Good point: the wide players will be very important in this match.

On another note, how close will the attendance that night be to the Hampden figure?

A bit more pressure on us on Tuesday given yesterday's results. It is a good type of pressure though and it will hopefully give us the edge to go and get a result. 

The only real headache for Neilson is who to play at the back. Given recent seasons I can't really believe I'm saying this but I am happy with whatever combination he decides given the form of Frans, Edge, Bouhenna, Murdoch, Booth and Watson since Neilson has arrived (sorry Robson, you're still benched). Personally I wouldn't mind as physical a back four as we can get so that might mean Booth at left-back, Watson at right-back and then Bouhenna plus either Frans or Edge alongside him. Don't think any of the defenders deserve to be dropped at the moment (which again is an astonishing thing to say as a United fan).

I suppose there may still be a bit of doubt over Fyvie but hopefully he is fit and ready.

12 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

If Fyvie doesn't make it I wonder if Murdoch might get moved back to midfield (his natural position), that's assuming Watson and Booth are fit enough to start at full back. I would say that's a better option than Barton or Rabitsch. 

Would not be opposed to that but when I see how much differently players have performed under Neilson I would like to see Rabitsch given a chance.

8 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

What genius decided to schedule this game the same time and day as the Scotland game?

Probably someone who's watched Scotland play recently. The Clubs would probably have had an input into the scheduling. 

It's good to see that this game has really stirred up interest on here!!! :1eye

We seem to have almost a full squad to choose from so maybe just give Fyvie 45 minutes.

Can we expect a large travelling support tonight?

12 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

What genius decided to schedule this game the same time and day as the Scotland game?

I believe Utd wanted the game on Wednesday night to avoid a clash but due to Alloas part time status only Tuesdays and Thursdays are suitable for midweek games (something to do with availability of players) with Thursday being ruled out due to their cup game on Saturday. Of course that could be a load of shite and its just a piece of piss poor scheduling.

Seen threads elsewhere about the Scotland game affecting the crowd, and to be honest the cold and damp might sway some to stay indoors. As yet the club generally has to do a good bit more to rekindle the confidence of some supporters, to the extent they'll return to Tannadice in bigger numbers. If it ever happens.

Having said that, among the supporters I know, quite a few are making their fist appearance of the season tonight, and this maybe due also to Scotland/the SFA/ McLeish having to prove themselves worthy in a similar way to United.

1 hour ago, Les Westander of County said:

Win this and the Arabs will start to get ideas pertaining to their station as a top-6-Premier-League-outfit-really.

Optimal time to come down again with a bang. 0 - 1 due to OG in 87th minute.

Hide contents

Meanwhile in the real world - should be a comfortable win for the home team.

Based on crowd size and income (both closely related of course) United are the sixth biggest team in Scotland.

However we are where we are for a reason and I think it will be a while before we can hope, or even think about, being in the top 6 of the Premiership.

This is another game which is key to determining exactly how much things have turned around at Tannadice recently.

In very recent history, a wee run of good performances and results have often been derailed by games we would otherwise have expected to win, and tonight is just such an example.

That being said, I do think that tonight will be a professional performance and we will win 2-0.

Alloa are at a further disadvantage (obviously being part time) but also having played what would appear to have been a very hard game on Saturday, whilst we had our feet up, and our players carrying knocks had more time to recover from them, giving us pretty much a full squad to choose from.

Like I said, in the past, this would be just the type of game we would be absolute stick-ons to f**k up, but I can’t see it happening tonight.

IRWT 

15 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Best place to park?

There lots of on street parking in the vicinity and given the likely crowd size it shouldn’t be too difficult.  For getting back on route at the end I’d suggest Marryat Street/Caird Avenue or even Dens Road.  Not sure which stand the away support will be in tonight; traditionally the shed but if it’s an anticipated small support maybe the Fair Play.

Archived