Scottish Cup TV Rights

The Minertaur

2 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

So to have access to all Scottish TV games next season we would need to fork out for BT, Sky and now Premier Sports too? Less than ideal.

Premier have six games plus a semi-final, if BT/Sky didn't bid then the deal is better for the SFA than the alternative of taking less money and going solely with BBC.

Best just to get one of those IP apps that are kicking about for £60 - £70 per year.

That way you get everything without any subscription. The TV companies and clubs are basically turning people towards pirating everything, either that or you'd need a lottery jackpot win just to watch fitba on the telly.

Dreadful for fans and for Scottish football. Fans are going to have to subscribe to 3 different providers just to watch their team. It's also bad for the exposure of Scottish football, as the viewing figures on premier sports are going to be very poor conoared to sky or BT.

Dreadful for fans and for Scottish football. Fans are going to have to subscribe to 3 different providers just to watch their team. It's also bad for the exposure of Scottish football, as the viewing figures on premier sports are going to be very poor conoared to sky or BT.

It's great for smaller clubs as there is now proper coverage of the first three rounds. These will be on BBC so bigger exposure and a chance of increased income via a live game. Also more live games on BBC and maybe even Free Sports throughout the competition. Premier Sports need to up their game though, I doubt I'll be paying for their later round coverage.

4 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I hope this doesn't have too much of an impact on the games on Youtube - every game from R2 currently there.

Every game from Round One is filmed by the SFA.

Hopefully with BBC now having the rights from R1 onwards we might see a highlights show on the TV from next season.

58 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:
3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
Great news for the teams who'd be in rounds 1-3, am I correct in saying it's about 50k per team for a live game? That's mega money for most of those clubs. 

Didn't this change so clubs on TV don't get that much extra and more money into the pot to be shared around?

The SPFL done it for the league cup but not sure if the SFA have done the same for the Scottish Cup.

13 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Every game from Round One is filmed by the SFA.

Hopefully with BBC now having the rights from R1 onwards we might see a highlights show on the TV from next season.

BUT... if the highlights show ends up being just the goals from games and they're never seen again til they wheel out some patronsising guff in the Road to Hampden show (as it usually is), I prefer the current situation where you get a bit more of the games and they're there til whenever.

If it's both, then fine.

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The SPFL done it for the league cup but not sure if the SFA have done the same for the Scottish Cup.

The model changed before the start of last season. It used to be £80k per live game which was reduced with more added to the overall pot.

Unsure what the current payment is but it is still substantial. With additional live games the pot will need to go further to individual match payments could well be less.

Still welcome news for the clubs competing in Rounds 1 - 3, though.

8 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

BUT... if the highlights show ends up being just the goals from games and they're never seen again til they wheel out some patronsising guff in the Road to Hampden show (as it usually is), I prefer the current situation where you get a bit more of the games and they're there til whenever.

If it's both, then fine.

Yep, all fair points and hopefully it’s both as you say.