Scottish Cup TV Rights

The Minertaur

Matches cannot be scheduled to even be played on UEFA dates - ie the SPFL would not be allowed to schedule a matchweek in this midweek (or most other midweeks between now and April). Unscheduled matches are allowed to be played on these dates, but are still not allowed to be televised.

When I was a lad you weren’t allowed to schedule a live TV game against a match which was being played. How did we ever let it get to the situation where a match being played can’t be scheduled against a live TV game?

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

When I was a lad you weren’t allowed to schedule a live TV game against a match which was being played. How did we ever let it get to the situation where a match being played can’t be scheduled against a live TV game?

A huge amount of time has passed since then. Possibly even centuries.

7 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Tbf from the 1970s onward it was fairly uncommon for domestic competitions to be pre-scheduled for European or international midweeks - I've got old some old Playfair annuals, and it's evident from looking at the fixturelists and calendars. Obviously it was not a wise idea anyway, as you might have had clubs involved in European games, or players away on international duty. It would generally have been limited to lower league matchdays, Scottish Cup replays, early ties in the League Cup, Glasgow Cup, and so on.

So in this respect not much has altered.

Last month I posted the English schedule for 1991-92 in the FA Cup thread. Leave aside Full Members Cup and the only clashes were League Cup SF 2nd leg, plus FA Cup QF/SF replays:

You can still use European midweeks to rearrange postponed games (e.g. off for a waterlogged park), cancelled games (e.g. displaced by League Cup SFs or Final), Scottish Cup replays, etc. etc.

What has altered is that you can't televise those rearranged domestic games. Unless you get special permission - or pay whopping penalty charge. UEFA's effort to enhance its TV deals.

Tbf from the 1970s onward it was fairly uncommon for domestic competitions to be pre-scheduled for European or international midweeks - I've got old some old Playfair annuals, and it's evident from looking at the fixturelists and calendars. Obviously it was not a wise idea anyway, as you might have had clubs involved in European games, or players away on international duty. It would generally have been limited to lower league matchdays, Scottish Cup replays, early ties in the League Cup, Glasgow Cup, and so on.

So in this respect not much has altered.

Last month I posted the English schedule for 1991-92 in the FA Cup thread. Leave aside Full Members Cup and the only clashes were League Cup SF 2nd leg, plus FA Cup QF/SF replays:

You can still use European midweeks to rearrange postponed games (e.g. off for a waterlogged park), cancelled games (e.g. displaced by League Cup SFs or Final), Scottish Cup replays, etc. etc.

What has altered is that you can't televise those rearranged domestic games. Unless you get special permission - or pay whopping penalty charge. UEFA's effort to enhance its TV deals.

But what has altered quite dramatically is the number of midweeks which are now turned over to European football. That has at least doubled And of course the idea that tv football is now more important than people actually going to games

19 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

But what has altered quite dramatically is the number of midweeks which are now turned over to European football. That has at least doubled And of course the idea that tv football is now more important than people actually going to games

Absolutely: back-in-the-day there were about a dozen European midweeks. Nowadays there are about 15 plus the qualifiers in July-August, and while the number of internationals hasn't gone up much they're in double-headers with rest midweeks.

Hence why EPL's gone from 42 games to 38... League Cup R1 & R2 2nd-legs and replays scrapped... no FA Cup 2nd replays... etc.

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It isn’t a UEFA diktat. The leagues themselves have agreed not to televise games opposite European ties. 

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aye but isn't EPFL's decision/directive/advice a result of their negotiations with UEFA?

Yes, but the point still stands. 

If being able to schedule domestic games on European nights was so important for the EPFL members, they surely wouldn’t have had it as part of the negotiations. 

31 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

So how does the English Championship fall into it all? Sky show their games pretty much every night the CL is on yet no one bats an eyelid yet all Scottish games are overlooked.

Not top division.

We could show Scottish Championship.

It'll be interesting to see which of the two semi-finals Premier pick to show exclusively.

Would they really rank exclusivity over Celtic above an Edinburgh Derby?

I suppose most people hope they do because the latter is the game I'm sure we'd all rather see. Which is the best thing about this contract - you know that Premier will show Celtic and Sevco in every round they can, leaving the genuinely interesting ties to the BBC.

Edited by The Master

And there we have it - Premier care more about showing Celtic (and Sevco) exclusively live, than what is the genuine "first pick" in any given round.

Which, as I said, is great because it means better games on the BBC.

http://scotfa.co/19-20sfdetails?fbclid=IwAR1kWJa6TEK3xqe_L6vKL2po-n4LbBKixNMfir00f3ykxJs4NQX6oaH-lak

48 minutes ago, The Master said:

And there we have it - Premier care more about showing Celtic (and Sevco) exclusively live, than what is the genuine "first pick" in any given round.

Which, as I said, is great because it means better games on the BBC.

http://scotfa.co/19-20sfdetails?fbclid=IwAR1kWJa6TEK3xqe_L6vKL2po-n4LbBKixNMfir00f3ykxJs4NQX6oaH-lak

You do realise that Premier Sports chose Rangers v Stranraer in the 4th round. That was the “and there we have it” moment. When everyone knew that no matter what, if Celtic and Rangers are in any Scottish Cup round, it will be their matches on Premier Sports.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You do realise that Premier Sports chose Rangers v Stranraer in the 4th round. That was the “and there we have it” moment. When everyone knew that no matter what, if Celtic and Rangers are in any Scottish Cup round, it will be their matches on Premier Sports.

Yes, but there was always the uncertainty over an Edinburgh Derby.

Even Sky would have picked "Rangers" v Stranraer, but always also made sure to pick an Edinburgh Derby when one came out the hat. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Yes, but there was always the uncertainty over an Edinburgh Derby.

Even Sky would have picked "Rangers" v Stranraer, but always also made sure to pick an Edinburgh Derby when one came out the hat. 

I’ve just discovered that they have the Edinburgh derby as well. It’s the BBC that had to choose only one, and they’ve made the correct decision. My point stands that if Premier Sports had to have chosen only one, it would have gone for Celtic, Edinburgh derby or no Edinburgh derby.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve just discovered that they have the Edinburgh derby as well. It’s the BBC that had to choose only one, and they’ve made the correct decision. My point stands that if Premier Sports had to have chosen only one, it would have gone for Celtic, Edinburgh derby or no Edinburgh derby.

Premier had the choice over which game to show exclusively. 

All I'm saying is that until now, there was no real test of Premier's "always show the Old Firm at all costs" mentality because their (ridiculous) picks were ones that Sky would also have made...but Sky were prepared to show an Edinburgh Derby instead of one of Celtic or "Rangers".  That was the one fixture that we needed in order to test the theory - and so it appeared, and so we have our answer. 

And in some ways, this double confirms it because they were able to show both games anyway - but chose the Celtic game exclusively. 

Edited by The Master

28 minutes ago, The Master said:

Premier had the choice over which game to show exclusively. 

All I'm saying is that until now, there was no real test of Premier's "always show the Old Firm at all costs" mentality because their (ridiculous) picks were ones that Sky would also have made...but Sky were prepared to show an Edinburgh Derby instead of one of Celtic or "Rangers".  That was the one fixture that we needed in order to test the theory - and so it appeared, and so we have our answer. 

And in some ways, this double confirms it because they were able to show both games anyway - but chose the Celtic game exclusively. 

Honest Saints Fan took a subscription to watch their match against Celtic at the weekend and they ask you when subscribing what you are joining up for and the list is something like NASCAR, La Liga, Seria A, Celtic, Rangers. It won't let you proceed without choosing one. It's fucking blatant.

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Honest Saints Fan took a subscription to watch their match against Celtic at the weekend and they ask you when subscribing what you are joining up for and the list is something like NASCAR, La Liga, Seria A, Celtic, Rangers. It won't let you proceed without choosing one. It's fucking blatant.

I'd actually forgotten that (I took up an offer that I got by email when they picked up the La Liga rights, that worked out at around a fiver a month if paid up front, which I thought wasn't bad for the Italian and Spanish football alone, with the bonus of it just taking in the Betfred Groups next season).

So yes, we did already know that they were in it for only two teams.

Another season like 2005/06 would be excellent, when both were out before the quarter finals. Heads gone at Premier in that situation, needing to show five games without any OF involvement.