Scottish Cup TV Rights

The Minertaur

1 hour ago, bendan said:

I'm struggling with the concept of *having* to watch any match that is televised. Nobody 'needs' Sky. I've always managed fine without it.

This. If you want it, get it. If you dont then dont. In the odd case of wanting to see an individual game chances are someone you know has it or go to a pub that does. I fail to see why the SFA should be curtailed in their ability to market their own cup by whoever the SPFL happen to have sold their rights to. Its not like there will be no free coverage. The BBC will still have highlights.

When I were a lad there were no live games other than the Scottish Cup Final and only 2 or 3 games covered by highlights either. We coped.

I dont have BT Sport. I am not bothered enough to buy it. There are enough English and Scottish games on Sky without having time to watch BT too. It has meant I dont see Champions League matches any more but so far I am coping really well with that! 

13 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Nobody has to have it, but plenty of people want it. Basically to have access to the maximum amount of Scottish football on tv (something I'm sure I'm not the only person to want) we now have to pay an extra £120 a year.

I'd like it, too, but I make the judgement on cost that it's not worth it. I might subscribe to Premier (it's £99 for a year) seeing as they also have all the Edinburgh and Glasgow Pro14 games, but I doubt it. 

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

When I were a lad there were no live games other than the Scottish Cup Final and only 2 or 3 games covered by highlights either. We coped.

I must be from the same generation as Skyline Drifter. 

The BBC are going to show ELEVEN live cup games next season, plus highlights, and people are blubbing about not being able to watch the Scottish Cup.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

I must be from the same generation as Skyline Drifter. 

The BBC are going to show ELEVEN live cup games next season, plus highlights, and people are blubbing about not being able to watch the Scottish Cup.

Indeed. The entitled views on here are borderline hilarious. "woe is me, I have to spend another £99 per year to have the rights to watch live coverage of a handful of extra games I wasn't previously able to watch before there was a tv deal". So what? If it's worth that to you then pay it. If it isn't then don't. You're no worse off than before they signed the deal. You weren't seeing the games then either. :blink:

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Indeed. The entitled views on here are borderline hilarious. "woe is me, I have to spend another £99 per year to have the rights to watch live coverage of a handful of extra games I wasn't previously able to watch before there was a tv deal". So what? If it's worth that to you then pay it. If it isn't then don't. You're no worse off than before they signed the deal. You weren't seeing the games then either. :blink:

Unless they already had Sky?

I'm more annoyed at BT not having any games...i get it along with my VirginMedia package for no extra cost and try to catch most of their Scottish coverage as i quite enjoy their program

Glad the BBC are getting more games, just hope their coverage is up to par...can't be any worse than Sky right enough - and as others have said, surely a few games will be on FreeSports as well...

56 minutes ago, The Master said:

I was looking to see if there was any news on the SPFL TV deal and found this in Google News.

If you'll forgive me for linking to a Celtic fan blog:

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/celtic-must-call-spfl-scottish-cup-tv-deal

The absolute state of that :lol:

I got as far as the second sentence before I stopped reading. When you don't know the difference between the two authorities, it undermines your argument imo!

Celtic must take the SPFL to task over the recent Scottish Cup TV deal.

The Scottish Professional Football League have signed a controversial six-year contract with Irish channel Premier Sports.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've seen a few folk on Twitter saying (arbitrary figures) "Sky costs £70 a month, BT £30 and now Premier Sports is another £10 so anyone wanting to watch their team next season has to fork out  £110 a month!" Erm, no you don't. Whilst it would be nice to watch more matches I'm pretty saturated as it is when it comes to live sport. Who has the time to watch all these games? As you say people aren't being forced to fork out for these subscriptions. You're almost certainly going to be better off just going to watch a game in the flesh anyway rather than spend more money on another sports subscription. It'll help your club more as well.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Unless they already had Sky?

Sorry, I must have missed them arbitrarily cancelling a valid Sky broadcast contract for this.

Oh wait, no I didnt. The games werent due to be on Sky anyway. Nothing has been taken away here. Why are people unable to follow this?

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sorry, I must have missed them arbitrarily cancelling a valid Sky broadcast contract for this.

Oh wait, no I didnt. The games werent due to be on Sky anyway. Nothing has been taken away here. Why are people unable to follow this?

People are complaining that even if they already had Sky and BT they now in order to see everything they could before have to pay extra money to a company that has  already proven itself to be unreliable. I'm not really seeing what you're struggling to understand.

Whether an offer from Sky or BT was there or not I'm not really sure why people should be happy to have to pay more.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

People are complaining that even if they already had Sky and BT they now in order to see everything they could before have to pay extra money to a company that has  already proven itself to be unreliable. I'm not really seeing what you're struggling to understand.

Whether an offer from Sky or BT was there or not I'm not really sure why people should be happy to have to pay more.

Except these are games they couldnt see before as Sky werent showing any games this year. I dont see why you are struggling to follow this?

What Sky did in previous seasons is irrelevant and nobody said people should be happy about it, just that they have no entitlement to be able to see extra games without paying extra. They can make their mind up about whether thats worth it to them.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Except these are games they couldnt see before as Sky werent showing any games this year. I dont see why you are struggling to follow this?

What Sky did in previous seasons is irrelevant and nobody said people should be happy about it, just that they have no entitlement to be able to see extra games without paying extra. They can make their mind up about whether thats worth it to them.

So it's agreed. To see the games Sky showed in previous seasons people now have to pay more to a different broadcaster and people are entitled to be unhappy about that.

What a ridiculous hill to die on.

5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

So it's agreed. To see the games Sky showed in previous seasons people now have to pay more to a different broadcaster and people are entitled to be unhappy about that.

What a ridiculous hill to die on.

Go take it up with Sky then and request a discount if you arent getting all you wanted. People not being delirious about it and actually "having" to pay someone else are two different things.

HTH :)

Edited by Skyline Drifter

If you were really desperate to watch one game, take out a subscription then immediately cancel it. If you were just interested in the Scottish Cup you wouldn't have it for all 12 months regardless. 

I'm sure Premier Sports have shown Scotland games in the past and the £9.99 I paid for me and my wife was a hell of allot cheaper than the match ticket. People will literally moan there tits off about everything. 

There remains the actual option of going to a game. Its a radical concept for some but loads manage it with it without subscribing to TV outlets.