Stenny v Rovers

I thought we might have been worth a point after our second-half performance but fair play to Daniel Armstrong, it was some goal to put the game to bed.
Alan Reid must be the slowest Stenhousemuir player I've ever seen, and I remember Graeme "Carwash" Connell's short spell at the club.

No intensity in the play until we go behind, agree on Reid like Stuart Malcolm we seem to have got him a season too late. Let’s hope they get a manager in soon as we don’t want to become detached at the bottom.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s one of those ones where people get called out when it’s normally shite, but cheers to Mike and the others on the Fife Finest bus, I was really needing to get back to Kdy quick after the game and got a lift back from them nae bother - much appreciated!

McGlynn needs to take credit for putting Crane in midfield alongside Matthews (rather than the easier other options such as Davo) which gave much more energy than in recent weeks, when Nat is just static, even when Flanagan and Armstrong had their usual wingers phases of drifting out of the game. Crane’s determination and Matthews passing especially the ball through in the build up to the first goal was superb, something that often goes unnoticed. Also thought Bene was immense today, drove the team and was man of the match by a distance.

Nice to see us score a few goals. 

That Stenny goal - dearie me. Davidson should've cut that out rather than let it bounce, but what on earth was Thomson doing? That's no man's land and he was never going to intercept the ball there. 

Either commit to it properly or drop back and let the CB deal with it. If the CB doesn't deal with it, come out and meet the striker one-on-one.  Stand in no man's land like that and it's too easy for the striker. 

It was an awful goal to lose but other than that we were relatively comfortable. 

Thought Crane did well in midfield, but Armstrong looks like a real find. 

We had to grind it out and didn't look especially great, but it's good to get an away win and hopefully settle things down.  Defense is a bit of an issue, Benedictus especially was going absolutely mental at Thomson most of the game, and I felt both Murray and Watson struggled out at RB. Watson is incredibly young still to be honest, but I think he's struggled during our last three away matches. Did better second half though. 

Main thing was winning and we did. Can't do anything about other results, we just have to win our games and hope we can pull something out the bag in the head to head matches. 

Good vocal and positive support through yesterday which was good to see. 

Yeaterday isn’t the first the defence have lost the rag with Thomson. I remember seeing Bene and Crane going apeshit at him during the Stranraer and Brechin games at Starks. I don’t think Thomson is a calamity but always felt his distribution is slow and whilst he, at times, wants to play it out from the back he has a tendency to put the defence under unneeded pressure.

Good win yesterday and cracking finish from Armstrong. Decent Rovers crowd by the looks of things.

Archived