Battle of the Defences - FAFC -vs- DFC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bernardblack
I'm not at the game but the wee Bet365 graphic didn't make for pretty viewing. Looked like Forfar were all over us.

Reeks of finishing 0-1 you then

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
30 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:
This really should be four or five. Defensively we are a shambles.
Also, Paton up top and Gallagher wide? 

That's criminal from Duffy tbh. Not the only early warning sign IMO.

To be fair, Duffy has inherited a very mediocre squad of players, a considerable percentage of whom at any point in time this season have been  crocked.  However, this result  should firmly put the lie to the fantasy that we have a decent squad who just need to click; it was a problem under Aitken and it will be a problem for Duffy until he can do some horse-trading.  If he manages to scrape some points into Janauary that would be helpful.

To be fair, Duffy has inherited a very mediocre squad of players, a considerable percentage of whom at any point in time this season have been  crocked.  However, this result  should firmly put the lie to the fantasy that we have a decent squad who just need to click; it was a problem under Aitken and it will be a problem for Duffy until he can do some horse-trading.  If he manages to scrape some points into Janauary that would be helpful.
I agree. Unfortunately he's made a few ropey decisions that haven't helped the cause IMO, but he deserves more time to suss out how truly shite his squad is.

I was always concerned by Aitken's summer tactic of signing a few good players and complimenting them with absolute dross but we are where we are.

It was always going to be very tough with just one outfield sub, but if we'd conceded early (as we could've easily done on a number of occasions) it would've been 5 or 6 imo. Forfar just looked a lot fitter and sharper than us all over the park.

At the moment it appears that we can only win games if we score first. As soon as we conceded it was game over.

Looks like a case of limping towards January and hoping that Duffy can wheeler dealer his way out of Aitken's mess.

It was always going to be very tough with just one outfield sub, but if we'd conceded early (as we could've easily done on a number of occasions) it would've been 5 or 6 imo. Forfar just looked a lot fitter and sharper than us all over the park.
At the moment it appears that we can only win games if we score first. As soon as we conceded it was game over.
Looks like a case of limping towards January and hoping that Duffy can wheeler dealer his way out of Aitken's mess.
Rate our players in order of shiteness today plz.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
5 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Rate our players in order of shiteness today plz.

Wallace 'Chris' Smith - Prevented a pumping, maybe could've saved the third - but I didn't think Hill would shoot.

Cammy Ballantyne - Had a tough time against Easton.

Ross Forbes - Pass marks imo. Almost scored from the halfway line and was alright defensively.

Ross Perry - Struggled with Baird and Hilson as tricky, nippy wee guys. Had no protection.

Scott Allardice - Nice footballer imo, but not a centre-back.

Stuart Carswell - Kept getting in Hutton's way, clumsy defensively and wasteful with the ball.

Hutton - Kept getting in Carswell's way, clumsy defensively and wasteful with the ball.

Bobby Barr - Works hard but was ineffective.

Calum Gallagher - Works hard but isn't a winger.

Dom Thomas - Pretty much involved in everything good that we did. Was maybe a bit selfish at times, but given how good he is I can't blame him for shooting.

Michael Paton - I have no idea why we tried to play him as effectively a loan striker. Beany runs the channels well and creates space to be fair to him, Gallagher is physical and good at getting scrappy goals. Paton is a winger. He looked like a winger.

Warning sign of what?
That Duffy is making a few weird decisions, very much in line with what Morton fans warned us and others about. Gallagher isn't a winger, Kyle Hutton isn't a captain, nor should he be playing every week regardless of his form, Forbes isn't a left back and we badly miss his influence further up the park, Michael Paton isn't a striker etc etc.

FWIW I'm 100% not blaming Duffy for this current predicament, nor am I remotely calling for his head but I'd like to see him make more sensible decisions with regards to where he's deploying certain players.

He has inheritated an utter mess from Aitken.

20 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Were we good today or Dumbarton just shite? Not a dig, genuinely asking as we rarely keep a clean sheet

Bit of both really. Forfar were the better team by some distance, moved the ball really nicely and should've won by more.

But we were miles off it for the most part, and folded as soon as we conceded a free header from a corner.

Archived