Battle of the Defences - FAFC -vs- DFC

Should be goals in this one, as Forfar Athletic (now boasting the league's leakiest defence) take on the division's joint second leakiest.

Earlier in the season the Loons totally played us off the park, strolling their way to a 2-0 victory - with Calum Gallagher missing a penalty for DFC, for which he barely played again under Stevie Aitken...Or was he injured? I can't remember...

We've been very poor on our trips to Angus so far - losing 3-2 to Brechin City, 3-1 to Arbroath and 1-0 to Montrose. In fact our away in form in general has not been good, but that has to change soon, doesn't it?

Depending on our injury situation I might be ok with a draw, but a victory would be a massive boost.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- Perry -- Dyer

Forbes -- Carswell -- Allardice -- Barr

Thomas -- Gallagher

I'd give that a bash.  Hutton and Spencer were both piss poor on Saturday, Allardice doesn't fill me with confidence at centre half but I think he could do a job in midfield. We need Forbes creating things, getting him closer to Dom Thomas and playing balls through for him could be vital, as could Forbes and Ballantyne getting used to playing with each other. Beanie has been running his heart out for us, but ultimately he misses a sitter every week (first half again on Saturday, virtually open goal 6 yards out and he puts it over), it's draining confidence of everyone, not just him. Gallagher isn't a winger, we all knew this anyway, so let's just play him up front where he scores goals.

It's clear to me where our problems are though, defence and centre midfield.  In defence we need a left back - I'm not convinced Dyer even wants to be here.  Centre half is now a huge issue too if Dowie is out for any length of time. We also now have a dearth of midfielders who can only really break up play and virtually none who are looking to carry the ball/create. Hutton, Carswell, Spencer all bring similar stuff to the table, we badly miss a Scott Agnew type in there.

12 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Any lineup that involves Dom Thomas and doesn’t involve Callum Gallagher please.

Edit to add: Also, no Kyle Hutton too please

Dom Thomas will start unless injuries, not sure why you don’t want Gallagher to start, he’s been one of our better performs. If injuries clear up I suspect Hutton will sit out.

Dom Thomas will start unless injuries, not sure why you don’t want Gallagher to start, he’s been one of our better performs. If injuries clear up I suspect Hutton will sit out.
I'd be fairly astounded if Hutton sat out. Duffy has started him in every game and made him captain last week. I've also heard him talking him up on BBC Alba before.

Unfortunately.

Gallagher can’t control a football. His display at the weekend was absolutely embarrassing. I tend to agree that Hutton won’t be dropped.

Gallagher can’t control a football. His display at the weekend was absolutely embarrassing. I tend to agree that Hutton won’t be dropped.

As others have said, Gallagher out of position wide and Beanie is out of position up front. There is an obvious solution here. I don’t think Gallagher was embarrassing though, far from it.

Totally disagree. Gallagher played well at the weekend. There are bigger issues with the squad to address before going after one of the team who usually put in a shift and pop up with a goal and assist here and there.

Both Thomas and Gallagher to start for me please.

9 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd be fairly astounded if Hutton sat out. Duffy has started him in every game and made him captain last week. I've also heard him talking him up on BBC Alba before.

Unfortunately.

My understanding is Hutton is playing with an injury as it can be managed currently to let him play. So I would suspect that once we have mos players back from injury he would then sit out to he bettert/treatment.

My understanding is Hutton is playing with an injury as it can be managed currently to let him play. So I would suspect that once we have mos players back from injury he would then sit out to he bettert/treatment.
Spencer and Carswell have been fit and Duffy has chosen to leave one of them out to start Hutton in his 3 games so far.

15 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

His performance two weeks before was one of his best.  Playing at this level for a reason, inconsistency.  He has never really had a proper run in the team either and when he starts, he has actually a no bad scoring record.

I like him.

Grant Adam being out is a terrible loss as he would surely have provided plenty entertainment for all.

As for us, who knows? Three wins on the bounce bookended by two terrible 4-0 thumpings suggest we could do anything.

Cannot see how we can keep the same defence after last week but would Malone, Munro or (shudder) Wilson, improve things?  

2 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Grant Adam being out is a terrible loss as he would surely have provided plenty entertainment for all.

As for us, who knows? Three wins on the bounce bookended by two terrible 4-0 thumpings suggest we could do anything.

Cannot see how we can keep the same defence after last week but would Malone, Munro or (shudder) Wilson, improve things?  

Aidan recreating his form from the Rock up north then?

Archived