Edinburgh City Vs Waspies

KierenAAFC

Fully agree with that summary although a strong shout for a penalty in the second half I need a second look at......Once I get something to eat I'll have a look on the big screen.

Are you going to study the relevant law while you are having a bite to eat so you can enlighten us with a degree of authority?

55 minutes ago, printer said:

Are you going to study the relevant law while you are having a bite to eat so you can enlighten us with a degree of authority?

Intentional handball. 100% that was a penalty another in the long list of we should have had the decision from the ref.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Greig was a poor signing. His recent record at Championship level (his last season there with us) strongly suggested he would bring little to our league campaign, and so it is proving. I pointed this out when he was signed; it is little comfort I am being proved right.

As did I when it was claimed he was " a guaranteed 15 goals a season" on your thread. I got pelters for it. Although I thought he would have done better for you than he actually has.

Absolutely loved that. Thought Alloa were going to smash us but we played ourselves into the game and for all they are clearly a better side than us I didn’t think we ever looked out of place.

Andy Black is pretty clearly the Scottish N’Golo Kante and is one of my favourite players of all time.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Greig was a poor signing. His recent record at Championship level (his last season there with us) strongly suggested he would bring little to our league campaign, and so it is proving. I pointed this out when he was signed; it is little comfort I am being proved right.

To be fair to Greig, he wasn't the reason we lost today. We lost because Edinburgh City did to us what we have done to better teams several times this season. They played with more spirit and belief, worked very hard to stop us playing and then were flawless in the shootout. Very impressed with them.

I didn't have a problem with Adam Brown coming on, I thinks he's done OK, but I'd probably have brought him on earlier and taken Trouts off.

Nothing to get alarmed about overall.

Good luck to City in the semis.

The manager seems to have settled on a signing policy of retaining the excellent nucleus assembled by Jack Ross, then adding the best loan players he can. It's been a very successful policy. He clearly needed a few more other permanent signings in the summer to pad it out. That's where the likes of Greig, Brown and Karadachki come in.  Players who were probably worth a gamble given how short we were. I think Greig had done enough since his last Championship season to suggest he had improved as a player and that he was worth taking a shot on. Looks very short on confidence right now though and hasn't taken his chance the last few weeks. Can't complain at all if he now drops back to the bench. 

I think Brown has done OK too but I agree with pencils that it's strange that he plays every week. Works hard but not a player to come on and create something. I'd have liked to see Ahmad get a bit longer in a game like that today, he brought a spark in his short time on the park and looks to have good physical presence as well as being skillful. 

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As did I when it was claimed he was " a guaranteed 15 goals a season" on your thread. I got pelters for it. Although I thought he would have done better for you than he actually has.

Ach I'm not sure you got pelters for it. Couple of excitable younger fans maybe, but I don't think many Alloa supporters really thought Greig was going to be a prolific scorer. But in our situation in the summer he was worth the gamble. 

4 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Anyone know what the deal is with zack? Hasn’t played in about 2 months and didnt play too badly when he was in the team, just seems strange to keep moving dick into centre back and playing peggie at left back.

To be fair, Roscoe has done very well since coming in when Zack was suspended and has deserved to keep his place, and similarly Dick at CB and Peggie at LB have been effective in the Irn Bru games. As such, understandable that Jim stuck with them today. Have to say too, Zack had an absolute nightmare in his last game, spending 45 minutes being pushed all over the place in Inverness then feigning injury in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid a booking, before giving away a penalty and getting sent off 30 seconds later. We looked far more solid with 10 men after he went off. Tough to get back in after that. I wouldn't mind seeing what he's like at full-back. CB, I'm not so sure. 

6 hours ago, Waspie said:

City deserved their win today. We got off to a good start with Dario's fine solo goal then another more scrappy effort from Trouten. 2 goals from 2 attacks, but we were poor the rest of the half and while they didn't create much, Edinburgh City were the better side and we didn't look up for it. Really poor from us to concede with the last effort of the half. 

Second half started much the same and the equaliser wasn't a surprise. We got more of a foothold after Hetherington came on, having struggled with how physical City were previously, but we didn't look particularly threatening. Summed up our day that our pens were pretty shite too having been exceptionally good so far this season. 

No disaster but disappointing to see such a subdued Alloa performance, something that we haven't been noted for. All credit to Edinburgh City, real battling performance and deserving winners. Hope they win the cup. 

First time at Ainslie Park. Nice wee ground but typical of our wee world that the two sides with banking are closed, leaving everyone standing on the two flat sides. 

unfortunately the Scottish League deem that grass banking to be incredibly dangerous (you might sit on it and get the nadgers) so it's not used... 

I think Brown has done OK too but I agree with pencils that it's strange that he plays every week. Works hard but not a player to come on and create something. I'd have liked to see Ahmad get a bit longer in a game like that today, he brought a spark in his short time on the park and looks to have good physical presence as well as being skillful. 

I think Brown is a creative player, but Jim is too rigid in the way he uses him - always stuck on the right wing, always coming on for Kev with 20 mins or so to go. I think that reflects what is, on balance, a strength of Jim's - retaining shape being a priority over allowing fluidity.

Agree about Ahmad though. I'd like to see a bit more of him.

I'd loan Greig back to League one in January.

Cue him starting to knock them in and me being left with egg on my face. Which tbh would be well worth it. [emoji4]

To be fair, Roscoe has done very well since coming in when Zack was suspended and has deserved to keep his place, and similarly Dick at CB and Peggie at LB have been effective in the Irn Bru games. As such, understandable that Jim stuck with them today. Have to say too, Zack had an absolute nightmare in his last game, spending 45 minutes being pushed all over the place in Inverness then feigning injury in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid a booking, before giving away a penalty and getting sent off 30 seconds later. We looked far more solid with 10 men after he went off. Tough to get back in after that. I wouldn't mind seeing what he's like at full-back. CB, I'm not so sure. 

I agree that roscoe has been good, just thought it was a bit harsh that after 1 bad performance we havent seen him at all since then.

Cant comment on the first 15 mins of the game as we were still stuck outside despite being in the queue before kickoff. Only 2 turnstiles open was ridiculous. The rest of the game left me wishing I'd remained outside for the duration.  Or back in a Stockbridge pub. Awful game. Even when we were 2 up I thought it was poor. Possibly the worst I've seen us play this season. On a par with the Falkirk defeat anyway.  Didnt like the ground at all. Flat terracing behind the one goal we were allowed to stand behind. I believe EC are here for another couple of years. I'm sure Meadowbank will be a huge improvement once finished. Hopefully we meet up again as a good day out in Edinburgh but not at Ainslie Park.

On 17/11/2018 at 22:36, Skyline Drifter said:

I want a statistician to give us our expected goals stat. I have been saying it from the start of the season that we are way down on actual goals.

Greig could easily have scored against Dunfermline and Morton and I don't think he'd be getting the stick that he is. Before that he hadn't started a game since September  so it's not surprising he hasn't scored. If I was to pinpoint an area that we have a problem in it is the midfield. That's the area where Edinburgh were comfortably better than us.

Archived