Edinburgh City Vs Waspies

KierenAAFC

looking forward visiting here for the first time, same for all  Alloa fans I imagine..

tricky tie with a team used to winning, we should have enough to deal with EC though surely ?

especially off the back of a good result at greenock

but nothing is a given, will be a tight game ..

Looking forward to this one. As an Edinburgh boy who doesn't support Hibs or Hearts, and who always found Spartans a bit sanctimonious, I have a wee soft spot for Edinburgh City. Great story between a fascinating history, the resurrection in the 80's and the more recent return to the Scottish League. City Park was great wee ground too, although we won't mention Alloa's last visit there. Really hope City can keep it going and properly establish themselves in the years to come. And that they get pumped at the weekend. 

Expecting a tough game though given City's league position and their pumping of Arbroath in the last round. We'll be missing a few of our cup tied players and we'll see if the gaffer goes with Liam Dick in the centre of defence again and Peggie in at LB, or does Zak ex of this parish get a wee chance. Suspect it will be Dick and Peggie given how well they have done in other Irn Bru ties. Important to try and build on the Morton win here. 

Guest Landan Spiv

Missing this game but im confident we can put in a decent performance against Alloa. The other part time clubs from a higher league we've scored 4 against each this season (Stranraer and Arbroath). Obviously Alloa will be a much tougher ask. Would be good if Karadachki gets to play for Alloa, he still likes City and the fans, such a shame he had a bad injury last season and we never got to see him. Just to let Alloa fans know there is a ladies day on at the club on Saturday so not sure the bar will be open but look out on our social media pages for updates. If it isnt then theres not much around unless you decide to have a beer in the city centre then get a bus or in Stockbridge and get a taxi. Our programme editor produces an excellent full colour programme with plenty of content at £2.50. I fully recommend buying one and the macaroni and curry pies are very decent at Ainslie Park. 

16 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

and talking of obscure "Absolutely" references I always thought Stoneybridge was in Clackmannanshire for some reason.. 

Stoneybridge is twinned with Yetts O' Muckhart maybe that's what you're thinking about.

Supporters bar won’t be open today (it’s ladies day) so your best option is probably a few pints in town and an Uber up to the game or if you’re feeling moderately athletic the ground is walkable from Stockbridge.

We got an absolute horsing off Queen of the South earlier in the season so let’s hope we show up a bit better against Championship opposition today. The aim of the club is to eventually be the best part time team in the country and clearly that’s currently Alloa so today should be a reasonable barometer of where we need to get to.

Looking forward to today, not expecting a victory but think we can cause problems and hoping for a good display. Weather forecast is not too bad but Ainslie Park has its own micro climate so bring one more layer than you think.

City deserved their win today. We got off to a good start with Dario's fine solo goal then another more scrappy effort from Trouten. 2 goals from 2 attacks, but we were poor the rest of the half and while they didn't create much, Edinburgh City were the better side and we didn't look up for it. Really poor from us to concede with the last effort of the half. 

Second half started much the same and the equaliser wasn't a surprise. We got more of a foothold after Hetherington came on, having struggled with how physical City were previously, but we didn't look particularly threatening. Summed up our day that our pens were pretty shite too having been exceptionally good so far this season. 

No disaster but disappointing to see such a subdued Alloa performance, something that we haven't been noted for. All credit to Edinburgh City, real battling performance and deserving winners. Hope they win the cup. 

First time at Ainslie Park. Nice wee ground but typical of our wee world that the two sides with banking are closed, leaving everyone standing on the two flat sides. 

11 minutes ago, Waspie said:

City deserved their win today. We got off to a good start with Dario's fine solo goal then another more scrappy effort from Trouten. 2 goals from 2 attacks, but we were poor the rest of the half and while they didn't create much, Edinburgh City were the better side and we didn't look up for it. Really poor from us to concede with the last effort of the half. 

Second half started much the same and the equaliser wasn't a surprise. We got more of a foothold after Hetherington came on, having struggled with how physical City were previously, but we didn't look particularly threatening. Summed up our day that our pens were pretty shite too having been exceptionally good so far this season. 

No disaster but disappointing to see such a subdued Alloa performance, something that we haven't been noted for. All credit to Edinburgh City, real battling performance and deserving winners. Hope they win the cup. 

First time at Ainslie Park. Nice wee ground but typical of our wee world that the two sides with banking are closed, leaving everyone standing on the two flat sides. 

Fully agree with that summary although a strong shout for a penalty in the second half I need a second look at. Trouten doesn't miss pens so that was my what if moment. Once I get something to eat I'll have a look on the big screen.

I felt sorry for the wee boy I was stood beside, behind the goal the penalties were at.

Watched as Andy Graham pelted the ball wide, Alloa losing, then it skelpt him right in the pus.

How good/shite was the second goal? It looked alright from where I was, but I was down the far end of the park.

We were terrible but credit to Edinburgh city was fairly impressed by them.ì

Fail to see what Greg Spence brings to the team should never have took him back.
Huge fan of Goowdin as well but his insistence in getting Adam Brown on the pitch near enough every game and usually in place of Cawley is getting annoying. Especially when we're looking for a goal

Fail to see what Greg Spence brings to the team should never have took him back.
Huge fan of Goowdin as well but his insistence in getting Adam Brown on the pitch near enough every game and usually in place of Cawley is getting annoying. Especially when we're looking for a goal

Greig was a poor signing. His recent record at Championship level (his last season there with us) strongly suggested he would bring little to our league campaign, and so it is proving. I pointed this out when he was signed; it is little comfort I am being proved right.

To be fair to Greig, he wasn't the reason we lost today. We lost because Edinburgh City did to us what we have done to better teams several times this season. They played with more spirit and belief, worked very hard to stop us playing and then were flawless in the shootout. Very impressed with them.

I didn't have a problem with Adam Brown coming on, I thinks he's done OK, but I'd probably have brought him on earlier and taken Trouts off.

Nothing to get alarmed about overall.

Good luck to City in the semis.

Archived