Minutes Silence or Applause Which is Better

peternapper

On 11/11/2018 at 14:30, Donathan said:

Applause, because when anyone dies we should focus on celebrating their life rather than mourning their death IMO.

I don't think celebrating young lives tragically cut short in war (particularly in wars of choice and those that could've been avoided) with applause is appropriate at all.  

5 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Silence is much more meaningful. You can talk through applause and it somehow doesn't have the same respect. Should also consider how often it is necessary though. At Montrose v Dumbarton the other week there was a minutes silence for the Leicester chairman. Why?

Not quite as bad as when we were ordered by the governing body to have one for ex-Ross County left back Nelson Mandela.

On 11/11/2018 at 14:26, peternapper said:

With it being Remembrance Day just wondered if folk thought a minutes silence was more poignant than the more recent trend of a minutes applause which is sometimes used now for these occasions now to mark the likes of today or a death of someone etc. Yesterday at Hampden everything was carried out very well with a piper & then a minutes applause but I find a moment of silent reflection seems to have more effect   

I've no preference. As long as it's before the match starts. This applause during the game is crap On the 83rd minute we'll have a minutes applause for  ex wing half Joe Bloggs who died aged 83. There willl also be a minutes applause in the 89th minute for life long fan Aggie who lived at number 89 Glebe Street

Still some interesting comments, like most things that have changed over the years don't think its for the better, there has been lots of stuff imported from the states but don't know if they are guilty in this case. Agree having set minutes applause every game is not good otherwise every game in Scotland should have a minutes applause in the 67th minute after the end of the booing in the 66th.

Archived