Minutes Silence or Applause Which is Better

peternapper

With it being Remembrance Day just wondered if folk thought a minutes silence was more poignant than the more recent trend of a minutes applause which is sometimes used now for these occasions now to mark the likes of today or a death of someone etc. Yesterday at Hampden everything was carried out very well with a piper & then a minutes applause but I find a moment of silent reflection seems to have more effect   

17 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Applause, because when anyone dies we should focus on celebrating their life rather than mourning their death IMO.

Fair enough that's why I thought I would ask the question as i think among older folk the more traditional silence would be the more popular option, I often find by the end of a minutes applause it seems to be a bit drawn out & some don't bother after a while.

31 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

For remembrance it'd should be silence IMO.

A minutes applause to celebrate the life of someone recently passed is a nice gesture. 

I agree with silence for remembrance.

Not keen on applause for a death, doesn't go down well at the funeral, in my experience...

6 hours ago, peternapper said:

a minutes silence was more poignant than the more recent trend of a minutes applause 

shameful lack of respect and consideration for sensitive millennials IMO

regardless of the circumstance - death, remembrance, whatever - should be a minute's "jazz hands"....

7 hours ago, peternapper said:

With it being Remembrance Day just wondered if folk thought a minutes silence was more poignant than the more recent trend of a minutes applause which is sometimes used now for these occasions now to mark the likes of today or a death of someone etc. Yesterday at Hampden everything was carried out very well with a piper & then a minutes applause but I find a moment of silent reflection seems to have more effect   

Was at Hampden yesterday and I agree that silence would have been better and indeed it would have been so but the lounges at Hampden were full of boozed up Whiskey drinkers, and they couldn't be relayed  upon to keep the silence.

While I personally prefer a silence - it's more profound - I can understand the use of minutes applause for, say, an iconic player who has died of old age. It's association is with recognition and celebration.

Minutes applause for Armistice Day or after terrorist attacks or whatever? Doesn't sit well with me at all. Clap and whoop the war dead? Handclap the victims of accidents or disasters? No. It's association should be with reflection and respect.

I think we also have to be honest and recognise that applause is often being used to avoid silences getting interrupted by morons.

While I personally prefer a silence - it's more profound - I can understand the use of minutes applause for, say, an iconic player who has died of old age. It's association is with recognition and celebration.

Minutes applause for Armistice Day or after terrorist attacks or whatever? Doesn't sit well with me at all. Clap and whoop the war dead? No. It's association should be with reflection and respect.

I think we also have to be honest and recognise that applause is often being used to avoid silences getting interrupted by morons.
This 100%

Some interesting replies,  sadly agree that silences can end up embarrassing when not respected properly, remembrance days ones seem to be followed fairly well as they should be but its not much to ask folk to respect a minutes silence even if its for someone not known personally as in a clubs former player & the like.  

18 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

For remembrance it'd should be silence IMO.

A minutes applause to celebrate the life of someone recently passed is a nice gesture. 

I'd agree with that. Remembrance like we just had or for example to mourn a recent disaster/terrorist attack should be silence. If it's about one particular person who has recently passed applause can be a good gesture to celebrate that person's life.

Silence is much more meaningful. You can talk through applause and it somehow doesn't have the same respect. Should also consider how often it is necessary though. At Montrose v Dumbarton the other week there was a minutes silence for the Leicester chairman. Why?

The Huddersfield game on the friday night after the Leicester tragedy had a minutes applause which was uncomfortable and simply wrong.  The other weekend games then correctly had the silence. 

25 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Silence is much more meaningful. You can talk through applause and it somehow doesn't have the same respect. Should also consider how often it is necessary though. At Montrose v Dumbarton the other week there was a minutes silence for the Leicester chairman. Why?

He was dead?

Archived