Queens v Inverness

24 minutes ago, Snafu said:

You're lucky you only have one non scoring striker.

So no pressure, we have Shaun Rooney.

What's the verdict on Rooney?  How's he playing and where's he playing?

I'm still convinced there is a player of some description in there but he's not a right-back or centre-half due to his awful reading of the game.  His maverick mazy runs were a highlight in a relatively drab season last year though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the verdict on Rooney?  How's he playing and where's he playing?

I'm still convinced there is a player of some description in there but he's not a right-back or centre-half due to his awful reading of the game.  His maverick mazy runs were a highlight in a relatively drab season last year though.

He was a total bomb scare at the start of the season but it has to be said he has come on leaps and bounds recently. Had a great game against County before he came off injured. Looked like a pretty bad one so doubt he will be making an appearance.

That said you still feel that he has a mistake in him.

He’s playing a right back.

I thought he was awful defensively and for his height his ability to win headers was woeful. His bombarding runs were great value for money though and it's ashame he won't make it on Saturday as he appeared to be well like among our support.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought he was awful defensively and for his height his ability to win headers was woeful. His bombarding runs were great value for money though

I saw no issue with his ability to win headers. He was very good in the air. Positional sense was awful though.

I saw no issue with his ability to win headers. He was very good in the air. Positional sense was awful though.
I thought he was always hiding when it came to defending corners and too many times he lost his man (that could be more to do with his marking, right enough). Attacking wise he wasn't particularly dangerous either.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought he was always hiding when it came to defending corners and too many times he lost his man (that could be more to do with his marking, right enough). Attacking wise he wasn't particularly dangerous either.

He lost his man frequently but he was strong in the air when the ball came near him. And he scored at least 3 headers for us at set pieces.

He scored an absolute cracker of a header in one of the early cup games last season. Was it Stenny away? Given he’d been signed by McNamara at York I hoped we maybe had the next Andy Robertson on our hands but it didn’t work out that way.

He definitely seemed to be well liked despite not being brilliant for us. I suppose because he fits in the “good honest pro” bracket.

Still doesn’t have a positional sense but I think it is improving.

What infuriated me most was he was quite happy to bomb forward but every time the ball was lost he really didn’t seem to have any motivation to get back in to his defensive position.

His celebration against county has given him a fair amount of bonus points amongst fans (well me)

34 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

He scored an absolute cracker of a header in one of the early cup games last season. Was it Stenny away? Given he’d been signed by McNamara at York I hoped we maybe had the next Andy Robertson on our hands but it didn’t work out that way.

He definitely seemed to be well liked despite not being brilliant for us. I suppose because he fits in the “good honest pro” bracket.

He scored a couple of headers in cup games. Stenny away in Betfred Cup and Airdrie at home Irn Bru Cup.  Also scored with his right foot away to Berwick in Irn Bru Cup.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Also scored with his right foot away to Berwick in Irn Bru Cup.

Was that a shot? I knew off the top of my head he got 3 last season and remember the Stenny and Airdrie goals clearly. Couldnt even recall where the 3rd goal was never mind how it was scored. Just presumed it was a header!

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Was that a shot? I knew off the top of my head he got 3 last season and remember the Stenny and Airdrie goals clearly. Couldnt even recall where the 3rd goal was never mind how it was scored. Just presumed it was a header!

According to match report he played a one two with Derek Lyle

020917%2012%20rooney%20-%20rooney.jpg

He scored a couple of headers in cup games. Stenny away in Betfred Cup and Airdrie away Irn Bru Cup.  Also scored with his right foot away to Berwick in Irn Bru Cup.

Yeah I was at the Berwick game. Lovely stroll in the sun that day.

In hindsight I’d probably prefer him to Mercer but I suppose we may have offered him a new deal but he chose to move north. Mercer’s versatility makes him favourable with our squad size.

Any other notable players that have played for both teams. There can’t be many given our geography. David Bingham, John Rankin, Dennis Wyness, and Barry Wilson are the only others I can think of, but I’m sure I’ll be missing some obvious ones.

10 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

In hindsight I’d probably prefer him to Mercer but I suppose we may have offered him a new deal but he chose to move north. Mercer’s versatility makes him favourable with our squad size.

Any other notable players that have played for both teams. There can’t be many given our geography. David Bingham, John Rankin, Dennis Wyness, and Barry Wilson are the only others I can think of, but I’m sure I’ll be missing some obvious ones.

Bairdy

34 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

David Bagan 

Martin Glancy 

9 hours ago, JessieField said:

Was big Rooney's main problem not that he gave away too many fouls to the opposition in dangerous areas? I liked his runs forward though.

That was a big problem as was a real lack of positional sense.  Neither ideal for a defender.  First call for a defender is to be able to defend competently.  Rooney was an absolute bombscare.

Keeping  coming back to finances is a bit boring but at the moment I don't think we can afford to have a fairly competent back-up striker sitting on the sidelines and  who would probably command a decent wage.  The Fergusson lad was probably earmarked for this role and at £150 per week (allegedly)  was a cheap option but he decided to move on. Succession planning is ok if you know the finances you will have available.  Maybe by the time Dobbie needs to be replaced he will be in the position to sign his own replacement. 

Sacked not decided

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That was a big problem as was a real lack of positional sense.  Neither ideal for a defender.  First call for a defender is to be able to defend competently.  Rooney was an absolute bombscare.

I also found his forward runs underwhelming.  

I don't remember anything ever resulting from them, apart from  him being struck by blind panic upon lifting his head, before tamely surrendering possession.

I am going to this game and I am excited. Sounds like Tremarco and Rooney will still be missing (unless someone up north can correct me) so I suspect we'll see much the same line up from last week. Really hope that Tremarco is back however as he's a bigger miss at LB than Rooney at RB. Mckay is a cart horse but he can be solid enough there whilst Chalmers is much better suited to playing in the middle and that would mean we could remove (and recycle) Trafford. Need the likes of Doran and Walsh to create some better chances than last week, especially the former, for Oakley.

Archived