Top of the league v Wee Morton

3 hours ago, FinniesTON said:

A few of my fellow Morton fans need to get a grip. We've been on the end of a couple of pumpings this season, including that 5-1 cuffing at home. Obviously with ten men you want to see a bit more, but this is an ultimately flawed team that has been assembled by someone other than the man in charge. The obvious flaws being evident from the McKinnon 'era'. Makes no sense to judge this team until we've brought in a couple of re-enforcements. Right now JJ is only guilty of being overly cautious, and not bringing on tactical subs is a touch Duffy. But if we went in all guns blazing trying to play open football, with our defence, Ayr could have picked us off, easily, even with ten.  These people calling JJ clueless and hopeless I believe are the same people who were crying out for a new young manager and would be 'happy to contend with him  making a few mistakes'. We could be doing better, but we're sitting just outside the playoffs after a largely tumultuous season (most of which wasn't our own making). QotS are by their own accounts having a solid season, and they're behind us. We all want improvement, but anyone would be either lying or just being awkward to suggest that a point away to Ayr isn't pretty handy at this stage. Draw a fair result.

I can see where you're coming from, but that last statement is way off; we should have won that. We should have been in front before the sending off and should have put them away 11 against 10, no question.

Two ways to look at Johansson's role: either it's a rookie manager understandably making sure his team don't chuck it away; or it's a rookie manager who's not sure how to react to a big change in the game. I'm not sure which and I'm not sure anybody can really say with any confidence at this stage; but, as Dunning has said above, it is definitely a concern. We were too happy to have the man over on the half-way line, too willing to continue bumping it long. Getting something else wide in front of either Iredale or Tumilty was the way to open them up, but Johansson seemed to think that it would eventually come just as it had against Falkirk. If the chance that hit the post or the one cleared off the line had gone in, he'd have been vindicated. But, but...

Have to say I'm enjoying all the Ayr posters who were promising us a thumping before the game now congratulating themselves on a point. Tried to say it after the last game, but was never going to get a hearing after a 5-1 doing: Ayr are no more than competent, committed, well-organised. These are compliments, btw, not criticisms, but only Pandarilla is willing to acknowledge it. You've done brilliantly to be where you are, but your main quality looks to me to be the ability to press consistently and with real energy, which forces teams to play it first-time under pressure; that's not a threat without a quick player against you who'll run in behind; means you get it back quickly and often and Kerr can dictate. But I can't see it winning you a league. I think you'll finish third... and you should happily take it. We would (but it will take something pretty significant out of the hat in January to get us into that conversation).

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see where you're coming from, but that last statement is way off; we should have won that. We should have been in front before the sending off and should have put them away 11 against 10, no question.
Two ways to look at Johansson's role: either it's a rookie manager understandably making sure his team don't chuck it away; or it's a rookie manager who's not sure how to react to a big change in the game. I'm not sure which and I'm not sure anybody can really say with any confidence at this stage; but, as Dunning has said above, it is definitely a concern. We were too happy to have the man over on the half-way line, too willing to continue bumping it long. Getting something else wide in front of either Iredale or Tumilty was the way to open them up, but Johansson seemed to think that it would eventually come just as it had against Falkirk. If the chance that hit the post or the one cleared off the line had gone in, he'd have been vindicated. But, but...
Have to say I'm enjoying all the Ayr posters who were promising us a thumping before the game now congratulating themselves on a point. Tried to say it after the last game, but was never going to get a hearing after a 5-1 doing: Ayr are no more than competent, committed, well-organised. These are compliments, btw, not criticisms, but only Pandarilla is willing to acknowledge it. You've done brilliantly to be where you are, but your main quality looks to me to be the ability to press consistently and with real energy, which forces teams to play it first-time under pressure; that's not a threat without a quick player against you who'll run in behind; means you get it back quickly and often and Kerr can dictate. But I can't see it winning you a league. I think you'll finish third... and you should happily take it. We would (but it will take something pretty significant out of the hat in January to get us into that conversation).

Johansson is clearly inexperienced but surely with an experienced manager in Peter Houston next to him this shouldn’t have been a major issue. I thought after we had a man sent off we moved the ball about much better and although you came close to scoring twice never looked overly dangerous.

Tbf I’ll take the competent, committed, well-organised any day of the week. That’s what Livi were last season and it turned out pretty well for them.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Johansson is clearly inexperienced but surely with an experienced manager in Peter Houston next to him this shouldn’t have been a major issue. I thought after we had a man sent off we moved the ball about much better and although you came close to scoring twice never looked overly dangerous.

Tbf I’ll take the competent, committed, well-organised any day of the week. That’s what Livi were last season and it turned out pretty well for them.

Hitting a post and having one kicked off the line by your centre forward is maybe pretty dangerous...

... and I made it quite clear that competent, committed, well-organised are compliments: totally necessary basis for a successful team, McCall knows that and clearly knows how he wants his team to play. After last time and before this one, though, you guys were starting to believe the hype.

Last year's Livi were much harder to play against than you lot, no comparison; horrible team that you just knew would grind you down in the end. I'd rather watch Ayr, but doubt that'll get you up.

39 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Other than that daft incident the referee had a decent game. Morton were denied a clear corner late in the second half but the grief that collum gets is way out of proportion.

Sorry, to brush that off as a daft incident is exactly why standards are so low.

Collum gets it tight because he is consistently bad at his job. He turned his back on play in that incident after the first free kick is illegally blocked. That's not acceptable from a Sunday league ref let alone supposedly one of the best officials in Scotland. 

In any other job he would be appraised based on his performance. Repeated poor performance would result in dismissal. However referees police themselves and until that changes standards will not improve.

Referees have a difficult job to do but consistent mediocrity shouldn't be allowed to pass as the norm.

I actually felt he had a poor game. A good ref goes unnoticed Mr Collum never goes unnoticed. 

At any rate, hopefully he is promoted back to the Premier League and doesn't get another Ayr game this season. Bring back Bobby Madden! 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Sorry, to brush that off as a daft incident is exactly why standards are so low.

Collum gets it tight because he is consistently bad at his job. He turned his back on play in that incident after the first free kick is illegally blocked. That's not acceptable from a Sunday league ref let alone supposedly one of the best officials in Scotland. 

In any other job he would be appraised based on his performance. Repeated poor performance would result in dismissal. However referees police themselves and until that changes standards will not improve.

Referees have a difficult job to do but consistent mediocrity shouldn't be allowed to pass as the norm.

I actually felt he had a poor game. A good ref goes unnoticed Mr Collum never goes unnoticed. 

At any rate, hopefully he is promoted back to the Premier League and doesn't get another Ayr game this season. Bring back Bobby Madden! 

Turning his back at the re-take was comical, considering what had happened at the first free kick. There was some terrible decisions by him which went  for both teams. Another one that springs to mind was in the second half when Crawford was on the wing and had his top pulled, spinning him around and throwing him to the ground. Play on.

13 minutes ago, montheton said:

Seems to be that if a team gets a player sent off then it should be an automatic defeat...... once players short its more difficult to break them down as most team go into defensive mode. Not giving right to win games against 10 men

^^^Kenny Shiels

He probably presumed that a free kick on the half way line wasn't going to need the spray.

But even then he ordered the retake. The right outcome was reached? Unless you want the boy booked, which seems harsh.

What else did he get wrong?

I don't think it's possible for him to go unnoticed as so many folk seem to be desperate to find fault.

Hitting a post and having one kicked off the line by your centre forward is maybe pretty dangerous...
... and I made it quite clear that competent, committed, well-organised are compliments: totally necessary basis for a successful team, McCall knows that and clearly knows how he wants his team to play. After last time and before this one, though, you guys were starting to believe the hype.
Last year's Livi were much harder to play against than you lot, no comparison; horrible team that you just knew would grind you down in the end. I'd rather watch Ayr, but doubt that'll get you up.

What I mean is you never cut us open at any point. It wasn’t wave after wave of attack either. I felt pretty confident that we wouldn’t concede from open play so it was only when you got a corner or free kick that I thought we might lose it.

Of course we’d believe the hype. We’re sitting top of the table and we know that this team can play good football. We may not have shown it in the two games vs Morton but that doesn’t mean we’re not capable of it.

He turned his back on play in that incident after the first free kick is illegally blocked. That's not acceptable from a Sunday league ref let alone supposedly one of the best officials in Scotland.

He was turning his back so often today as free kicks were getting set up I presumed it was a deliberate ploy.
Bring back Bobby Madden! 

Steady on.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He probably presumed that a free kick on the half way line wasn't going to need the spray.

But even then he ordered the retake. The right outcome was reached? Unless you want the boy booked, which seems harsh.

I don't think it's possible for him to go unnoticed as so many folk seem to be desperate to find fault.

Harsh? The boy illegally blocks the freekick twice by jumping forward before the ball is kicked the second time blocking it with his hand. He should be warned and booked, he got away with it twice. Did Collum even speak to him?

I don't think he got many 50/50s right at all (for both teams). You mentioned the corner, upintheayr mentioned one with Crawford, the consistent fouling of Shankland (although Collum didn't see it that way). I don't see how you can argue he had a good game.

He got the big call right in sending off Moore and the yellows he gave were probably valid (particularly Kerr & Buchanan, I want sure about Rose though - I didnt see it). 

Maybe I don't like him because he reminds me of Gollum.

CRETAalRPRHnkPD-800x450-noPad.jpg

Yes he ordered the retake and the same thing happened again. If the boy does it twice then he should definitely be booked.

Other things to pull him up for would be ignoring the constant holding or pushing of Shankland by Buchanan and Waddell, missing McHugh standing on Bells ankle in the first minute of the game, the number of corners or throw ins that were given the wrong way for both teams.

He is genuinely a terrible referee. Himself, Madden and Dallas are 3 of the highest rated referees in the country yet they constantly make an arse of themselves in every game they take charge of. People don’t need look for things to fault him for because he consistently hands them excuses on a silver platter during every game.

Harsh? The boy illegally blocks the freekick twice by jumping forward before the ball is kicked the second time blocking it with his hand. He should be warned and booked, he got away with it twice. Did Collum even speak to him?
I don't think he got many 50/50s right at all (for both teams). You mentioned the corner, upintheayr mentioned one with Crawford, the consistent fouling of Shankland (although Collum didn't see it that way). I don't see how you can argue he had a good game.
He got the big call right in sending off Moore and the yellows he gave were probably valid (particularly Kerr & Buchanan, I want sure about Rose though - I didnt see it). 
Maybe I don't like him because he reminds me of Gollum.

CRETAalRPRHnkPD-800x450-noPad.jpg.3e3e60b909d80f310c8b1a132576c690.jpg

How Bell didn’t get a yellow for putting McHugh up in the air towards the end of the game I will not know. Was an absolutely brilliant tackle from an Ayr POV though. Hopefully Wuffster puts it in the highlights.

Crap game, Ayr played well for the first 20min, looked like the normal, dictating play, overlapping on the wings, hemming Morton in............but without looking like scoring, Shankland and Moore are not a front 2. Moore scores goals Shankland wouldn't and vice versa, both should be in the first team but unfortunately different times. 

After 20min Morton didn't so much as come in to the game as we joined them in being dreadful in the final third. After about 30 min the game had 0-0 written all over it. 

Moores sending off was 100% correct, the big Mulgrew tribute act stitched him up like a kipper and the only consolation would be that Moores stamp on his goolies connected and that it hurt. 

The only positives to come out of today, Moore and Shankland will never play as a first choice front 2 again and a clean sheet. 

Morton were a well organised team, 8-10 men behind the ball at all times, fairly one dimensional going forward with a front two that look like they would struggle to hit double figures in a season. Early season form was pretty poor but they look tough to beat now compared to the last two games against them, although we did not click once today going forward.  

On 11/10/2018 at 20:00, callum-ayr said:

Think we’ll continue our unbeaten home record and going for a routine home win of 3-0 with Shankers getting a few and Forrest with the other.

On 11/10/2018 at 20:52, D'Jaffo said:

Must win here
2-0 Ayr

On 11/10/2018 at 22:45, placidcasual said:

Every time we've dropped points in the league, we've went out the following week and won. Expect that record to continue with a routine 3-0.

On 11/11/2018 at 15:44, Superhursy7 said:

If we are serious about going up this is a must win game for us, gutted to be missing this as I'm working predicting a 2-0 win Shankland and McDaid with the goals

On 11/12/2018 at 17:10, Honest_Ally said:

I think you might do slightly better and only lose 4-1 this time.

On 11/12/2018 at 18:30, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Better to win 2-0 so that the aggregate score over them this season is 10-2....

On 11/15/2018 at 09:00, WATTOO said:

Be prepared, for your next damn good thrashing..............

On 11/15/2018 at 11:25, Honest_Ally said:

2-0 to The Honest Men, Shankland double.

On 11/15/2018 at 18:54, Honestmen said:

You never had a kick at the baw till Crawford fkd up in the penalty area, try and keep it real.

On 11/16/2018 at 14:51, ryanayr1987 said:

I’m going 4-2 Ayr. I can’t see us keeping a cleansheet

20 hours ago, Naeleftfit said:

Think a comfortable win 3-0 to the honest men with Liam Smith to open his account as an Ayr player. shankland and Forrest with the other two.

10 hours ago, sanny said:

Ayr 3 Morton 0.  Shankland hat-trick :)

IRL... lucky to escape with a point against a very shaky Morton team that didn't actually play very well, before and after the sending off.

Try to keep it real, eh?

Moore and Shankland will never play as a first choice front 2 again

You think?

I’ve a horrible feeling that this will be another attempt of McCall trying to shoehorn players into the team like he did with Trouten, Harkins and Cairney.

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The only positives to come out of today, Moore and Shankland will never play as a first choice front 2 again and a clean sheet.

I hope you're right about that.

Other than Morton away, Shankland and Moore hasn't worked. However, the gaffer has form for shoehorning players in.

How Bell didn’t get a yellow for putting McHugh up in the air towards the end of the game I will not know. Was an absolutely brilliant tackle from an Ayr POV though. Hopefully Wuffster puts it in the highlights.

Don’t get too excited for the highlights then, but you never know where it might pop up... (in an act of shameless fan service)

Archived