Boca Juniors v River Plate - Copa Libertadores final

Herman Hessian

Away goals isn't a thing here. It's a one game shoot out.
Don't know if you were saying that because of the nature of this game or not, but there wouldn't have been an "away goals count double in the event of a draw on aggregate" (before any oedant gets in. Hey, it's Pie and Bovril after all) situation even if the game had went ahead at the Monumental as planned.

Anyway, some scenes at the end - I think I woke the missus up when the Boca player hit the post at the death there. Ultimate carnage next week when CAS uphold Boca's complaint and both teams (and fans) arrive at the same place for the Club World Cup...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't know if you were saying that because of the nature of this game or not, but there wouldn't have been an "away goals count double in the event of a draw on aggregate" (before any oedant gets in. Hey, it's Pie and Bovril after all) situation even if the game had went ahead at the Monumental as planned.

Anyway, some scenes at the end - I think I woke the missus up when the Boca player hit the post at the death there. Ultimate carnage next week when CAS uphold Boca's complaint and both teams (and fans) arrive at the same place for the Club World Cup...

Nup. Apparently for the final there's no away goals - as of next year it isn't 2 legged, so this is the last time it would (or wouldn't) have made a difference.

21 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

That was fun. I miss South American football being on uk tv

When Sky launched in 1989 I think, Screensport channel(RIP) used to show their live games all the time. Those were t'days. We can still get them now of course by modern means and most enjoyable viewing tonight.

When Sky launched in 1989 I think, Screensport channel(RIP) used to show their live games all the time. Those were t'days. We can still get them now of course by modern means and most enjoyable viewing tonight.
I seem to recall channel 5 carrying Argentinian football at one point. BT had Brazilian football but stopped showing it some time in 2017. I can see Eleven Sports maybe nabbing a few of the rights.

5 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
9 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I seem to recall channel 5 carrying Argentinian football at one point. BT had Brazilian football but stopped showing it some time in 2017. I can see Eleven Sports maybe nabbing a few of the rights.

Yeah you'd think maybe after tonight some broadcaster would pick it up. Not that i'll be paying for it right enough.

8 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

It was mostly the Brazilian Rio de Janeiro and Paulista leagues iirc. It was quite surreal at times, most of the stadia were decaying shitholes and the football was atrocious, brilliant and violent as f**k all at the same time. 

11 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

That was fun. I miss South American football being on uk tv

I don't understand why nobody picks it up.  Wouldn't imagine the rights are particularly expensive and the KO times have very little competition with European matches, especially Brazil which runs through the summer months when there's barely any football on TV. You'd think it would be able to pull in as many viewers as MLS.

9 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't FreeSport show the Brazilian Serie A? I'm sure I've watched a few games during the summer months. I assume Premier also show it since they're the same company.

Aye Freesports have had Libertadores games on all season. You're probabky right about Brazilian league games, there's been some cup games too

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

River Plate contrived to lose on penalties to host entrant Al Ain of UAE in Club World Cup SF today.

Where's that del Bosque gif?

That'll make it 7 years minimum since the last South American winner, one South American winner in the last 12, and 3 of the last 6 without a South American finalist. It's also the first West Asian finalist. 

Archived