Scotland First Country To Introduce LGBT Lessons

AsimButtHitsASix

When I was at school (98-04) gay kids got a horrendous time. Im pretty ashamed I was that worried about getting slagged for sticking up for folks that I didnt open my mouth when the homophobic stuff got battered about. Now if my wee guy goes to school and learns about equality and sticks up for his gay mates and basically learns what I know now (without having seen people battered for their sexuality etc) then I’d be absolutely delighted. Ultimately if my wee guy grows up and has same sex relationships and doesnt get harrassed because there’s an emphasis on equality then thats a sign of a society I want to be a part of.
I’ve seen people argue on here and on twitter that ‘they’re teaching 5 year olds anal sex’ etc, they’re not, they’re teaching kids that its ok to love someone and that doesnt make you different.
See if people find someone in life who makes them happy and is accepted by society and thus contributes to it rather than killing themselves then isn’t that a good thing?
So many of the folks on twitter call themselves ‘christians’ etc, well driving people to their death or causing them pain because of their sexuality isnt very fucking christian.

I've no idea of the statistics of this, but I'd wager that religious folk are far more likely to be homophobes than atheists / agnostics.
"religious folk" ? ........do you want to be more specific in your post.
Muslims ?
Buddhists ?
Christians ?
Jews ?

I know loads of Christians, a couple of Muslims and a Buddhist. I have not seen or heard any evidence of homophobia from any of them. They are a very tolerant bunch.

Rather than pushing an anti-religious point probably best to recognise that homophobes come in all shapes, sizes, creeds and backgrounds.

Muslims ?
Buddhists ?
Christians ?
Jews ?

I know loads of Christians, a couple of Muslims and a Buddhist. I have not seen or heard any evidence of homophobia from any of them. They are a very tolerant bunch.

Rather than pushing an anti-religious point probably best to recognise that homophobes come in all shapes, sizes, creeds and backgrounds.

Homophobes do come in all sizes, im glad your religious friends seem to be well adjusted tolerant folks but there is pretty clear evidence of Christian and Islamic people being very intolerant of homosexuality, indeed in some countries the religious leaders advocate for the death of lgbti people.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Gay exams

Question 1

Rupert and Walter have hooked up on Grindr and have arranged to meet at Rupert's flat.  Walter is at work three miles south west of his flat and Rupert is five miles North.  If they each get a bus travelling at an average speed of 20 mph towards the flat, who will get there in time to buy the tube of KY?

God. I hate KY gel. Much prefer Tescos Personal Lubrication.

26 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Muslims ?
Buddhists ?
Christians ?
Jews ?

What a lot of pish.  Homophobia is endemic in many/most religions.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It pisses me off when ‘liberals’ try to champion Islam, a totally oppressive religion, on the grounds of Islamaphobia.

There undoubtedly those who condemn Islam simply because of the colour of the skin of most of its adherents, but we should not use that that bigotry as an excuse to support the religion itself.

The vast, overwhelming majority of Muslims are peaceful, harmless, decent and respectful people.

The Quran may contain some crazy stuff, but so does the Bible. Look at the adherents, not the pieces of paper.

And besides, culturally, I find Muslims to be more modest and less entitled than Christians. 

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've no idea of the statistics of this, but I'd wager that religious folk are far more likely to be homophobes than atheists / agnostics.

In Scotland I really, really wouldn't be so sure. From what I've seen homophobia is much more common in neds and wee hairies who've never heard of Leviticus in their puffs than in people of faith. Go in the front door of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Edinburgh and one of the first things you'll see is a non-gendered toilet. The only people in the Catholic Church who pay any attention to the shite from on high about sex are the ancient bead rattlers and a handful of Bernadettes. I think I know more gay Catholics than gay atheists. 

14 hours ago, Jeek said:

Genuine question. Do you believe being gay is a choice?

14 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

No.

So, being gay is not a choice.

13 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

There's so much pro-gay propaganda out there now, that it feels more like an agenda than a choice.

So, being gay is a choice.

13 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Typical liberal responses. Anybody who questions the agenda is "outed" as a homophobe, bigot, racist....etc.

Quite pathetic really.

Typical liberals, eh? Requiring anyone who questions the agenda to have some sort of coherent argument on the subject, "outing" people as homophobes when only some of their contradictory comments were homophobic!

Quite pathetic, really.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

The vast, overwhelming majority of Muslims are peaceful, harmless, decent and respectful people.

The Quran may contain some crazy stuff, but so does the Bible. Look at the adherents, not the pieces of paper.

And besides, culturally, I find Muslims to be more modest and less entitled than Christians. 

Unless you accept that men are superior to women then Islam is an oppressive religion.  Kids are brainwashed from an early age and the treatment of apostates is shocking.

Blackmailing people not to give up their “beliefs” through the threat of alienation is neither peaceful, harmless, decent nor respectful.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Unless you accept that men are superior to women then Islam is an oppressive religion.  Kids are brainwashed from an early age and the treatment of apostates is shocking.

Blackmailing people not to give up their “beliefs” through the threat of alienation is neither peaceful, harmless, decent nor respectful.

Sounds like Christianity.

Granny you are in danger of letting your views on religion cloud this argument.

I've been taught in a variety of schools, both religious and nondenominational, for the past 25 years, and have to say that I haven't seen a marked difference in the levels of homophobia. When homophobia has raised its ugly head it has nearly always come from lower working class males, not particularly (or not at all) religious - usually not the brightest sparks either.

I'm not saying there aren't homophobic people of a religious background but would argue that blaming religion is a cop-out. It's a lot more complicated than that.

The reality is that there are bigots of faith and there are bigots without faith - and they should be challenged every time.

24 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Sounds like Christianity.

In the U.K. I would say that the level of brainwashing of Christian kids is far less than it is of Muslim kids.  Does in happen?  Yes but to a far lesser degree.

In the U.K. do ‘Christian families’ treat apostates the same as Muslims do?  No real evidence of this but I suppose it happens in isolated incidents.

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Granny you are in danger of letting your views on religion cloud this argument.

I've been taught in a variety of schools, both religious and nondenominational, for the past 25 years, and have to say that I haven't seen a marked difference in the levels of homophobia. When homophobia has raised its ugly head it has nearly always come from lower working class males, not particularly (or not at all) religious - usually not the brightest sparks either.

I'm not saying there aren't homophobic people of a religious background but would argue that blaming religion is a cop-out. It's a lot more complicated than that.

The reality is that there are bigots of faith and there are bigots without faith - and they should be challenged every time.

What’s the Catholic churches’ view on same sex marriage?  How long did it take same sex marriage to be ‘accepted’ by other Christian faiths in the U.K.?  Homophobia is the treatment of people differently because of their sexuality.

Most religions in the U.K. have and still do facilitate that discrimination.

My favourite part of the Bible is when it says not to judge people.

In fact, I'm sure most religious holy books forbid the judging of others.

Homosexuality is not a new thing that society is suddenly having to get to grips with. Homosexuality has existed for as long as mankind has been around. It's a sad indictment of all past and modern day societies that persecution of homosexuals is still occurring today (it's still a capital offence in some countries), and that it's taken until fairly recently for homosexuality to become "accepted" in most Western Societies.

12 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Muslims ?
Buddhists ?
Christians ?
Jews ?

The three major Abrahimic religions have intolerance of homosexuality woven into their very fabric.

I don't think it takes a massive leap of logic to believe that people who have grown up in those backgrounds to be more likely to be more homophobic than those who haven't.

Put it this way. Take a hundred religious folk, and a hundred atheists / agnostics. Which group do you think will have the most homophobes?

I was in fifth or sixth year at school when the Keep The Clause shite was going on so this is a nice reversal. Hopefully Souttar and Gloag are taking it badly.

I think media representations of same sex relationships and LGBT people has probably been the biggest driver in changing attitudes. Exposure to images of homosexuality has reversed the social conditioning that previously made it be percieved as transgressive.