Scotland First Country To Introduce LGBT Lessons

AsimButtHitsASix

Poor example really.  A childs brain is prepared to learn these things at such an age. However the subject of sex and gender roles is not something that a young child is going to understand. They're neither mentally or physically prepared for that subject.
Education shouldn't over rule the natural process. Only a complete liberal douchbag would be so naive.
So if you're taking my post by the letter rather than the general point, I can only assume that you think 5 year olds are going to be pressured into being gay / trans? [emoji23]

The general point being that the young kids will be informed about these issues from a neutral perspective. More "there are people like this and it's perfectly normal" as opposed to "gay people will go hell" and by extension are fair game to make fun of, as was alluded to earlier.

But hey, lgbt youth suicide attempt rates are only roughly 5x higher than their peer group, so probably not an issue.

That is not to say that teaching young kids will solve this societal issues, but I'd argue any gains would be worth it. It's not going to make heterosexual people change, and if it did, who cares it's up to them.

33 minutes ago, Jeek said:

So if you're taking my post by the letter rather than the general point, I can only assume that you think 5 year olds are going to be pressured into being gay / trans? emoji23.png

The general point being that the young kids will be informed about these issues from a neutral perspective. More "there are people like this and it's perfectly normal" as opposed to "gay people will go hell" and by extension are fair game to make fun of, as was alluded to earlier.

But hey, lgbt youth suicide attempt rates are only roughly 5x higher than their peer group, so probably not an issue.

That is not to say that teaching young kids will solve this societal issues, but I'd argue any gains would be worth it. It's not going to make heterosexual people change, and if it did, who cares it's up to them.

How would it be up to them if they're being made to change? We all like to believe that we have freedom of choice, when in reality our choices are influenced by our day to day interactions with other people. It's getting to a ridiculous point now where it's no longer about being who you want to be, but being what society tells you that you should be.

That's not freedom of choice.

Edited by BawWatchin

14 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

How would it be up to them if they're being made to change? We all like to believe that we have freedom of choice, when in reality our choices are influenced by our day to day interactions with other people. It's getting to a ridiculous point now where it's no longer about being who you want to be, but being what society tells you that you should be.

WTF are you on about?

Who's being made to change?

"If they're being made to change"

They're not, they can't be.

I will assume you are now content.

Happy to help.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

WTF are you on about?

Who's being made to change?

If you tell a child that it's ok for them to do or be something, then they're more likely to do or be it. Not because they ever considered it before, but because they've now been given a concept that is new to them and have effectively been given the go ahead.

It's not about them discovering or expressing their own ideas, but rather ideas being imposed upon them.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

If you tell a child that it's ok for them to do or be something, then they're more likely to do or be it. Not because they ever considered it before, but because they've now been given a concept that is new to them and have effectively been given the go ahead.

It's not about them discovering or expressing their own ideas, but rather ideas being imposed upon them.

Pretending that gay couples don't exist is certainly imposing ideas upon them.

Just now, Jeek said:

Genuine question. Do you believe being gay is a choice?

No. I do however believe that there are things growing up that can influence whether somebody is or not. A young child has no concept of sex or homosexuality. Neither enters their mind. Nor should it.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Pretending that gay couples don't exist is certainly imposing ideas upon them.

It's not about pretending what exists and what doesn't exist. Sex obviously exists. But you're hardly going to tell a 5 year old child what the process of sexual intercourse is. It's not something they need to be aware of at that age.

Just now, BawWatchin said:

It's not about pretending what exists and what doesn't exist. Sex obviously exists. But you're hardly going to tell a 5 year old child what the process of sexual intercourse is. It's not something they need to be aware of at that age.

Nobody's suggesting that.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Nobody's suggesting that.

No, that was just an example. A young child doesn't need to know about homosexuality. If they have no concept of sex and gender roles, then they're going to have no concept of homosexuality either. They're not going to be judgemental towards gay people, because they have no idea what it means at that age until some liberal type comes along and feels the need to fill their heads with things that they don't need to know about until they mature into that world themselves.

5 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

See when I was a wean I mind folk playing "house" and being "mummies and daddies" and that sorta caper. There was no-one shagging. This is going to be exactly the same but with the acceptance and equal provision given over to same sex couples.

It's kinda weird that you think any education about LGBT issues is based on sex and not sexuality.

When kids do get a certain age and sexual education comes along then they'll discuss homosexual sex alongside heterosexual sex. Now I was a horny as f**k teenager but when the teacher brought out weird anatomy dolls to show us what a cervix was and how a penis enters a vagina I didn't get aroused or want to shag a mannequin. I doubt the same talk featuring an anus will suddenly have made me want to shag my mates.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

when the teacher brought out weird anatomy dolls to show us what a cervix was and how a penis enters a vagina I didn't get aroused or want to shag a mannequin. I doubt the same talk featuring an anus will suddenly have made me want to shag my mates.

:lol:

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

See when I was a wean I mind folk playing "house" and being "mummies and daddies" and that sorta caper. There was no-one shagging. This is going to be exactly the same but with the acceptance and equal provision given over to same sex couples.

It's kinda weird that you think any education about LGBT issues is based on sex and not sexuality.

When kids do get a certain age and sexual education comes along then they'll discuss homosexual sex alongside heterosexual sex. Now I was a horny as f**k teenager but when the teacher brought out weird anatomy dolls to show us what a cervix was and how a penis enters a vagina I didn't get aroused or want to shag a mannequin. I doubt the same talk featuring an anus will suddenly have made me want to shag my mates.

That's not what i'm saying. What i'm saying is, the things you learn when you're young, leave an imprint on who you ultimately grow up to be. If you start filling young childrens brains with the idea of sexuality. Sure, they're not going to feel much about it right there and then. But what they learn from it will influence their sexual development as they grow older.

I mean, It could just mean that young people aren't ashamed or made to feel ashamed about who they are.

In my opinion, good that kids will be influenced into not thinking that falling into the LGBT sphere is a bad thing. I wish more adults could be influenced in the same way.