Scotland First Country To Introduce LGBT Lessons

AsimButtHitsASix

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the State should dictate every aspect of how children are educated, especially in moral and religious fields.

Homosexuality isn't a moral issue any more than being black or Jewish or heterosexual is a moral issue. Nobody is telling the kids to be gay, just that many people are gay and that's fine. Anyone with a problem with that should be kept the hell away from education, and their kids need to be taught reality whether the parent likes it or not.

As for religious fields, if a parent didn't want their child to learn about Islam, would that be something a school should accommodate? Parents have a right to withdraw their children from religious observance, but they do not have a right to withdraw them from religious education.

It took us long enough to get rid of the Christian whackjobs like Thatcher who prevented kids from being taught about the world as it actually is, let's not go backwards now.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the State should dictate every aspect of how children are educated, especially in moral and religious fields.

Yet you live in a country with parallel education systems wherein the right to one particular religious education is enshrined in law?

Edited by The_Kincardine

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Donald Trump disagrees.

That's the most pitiful sentence I've ever seen you post on here. 

Educating children to understand that people are different - colour, gender, creed, sexuality is absolutely the responsibility of the state. More so where there are backward arseholes determined to corrupt their thinking. If people have a faith that's absolutely fine. Forcing it on to others is not. Telling people why they have their faith is fine. Deciding that faith applies to others is not. 

It took us long enough to get rid of the Christian whackjobs like Thatcher who prevented kids from being taught about the world as it actually is, let's not go backwards now.

I completely agree but remember Theresa May is a religious whack job who supported Section 28 and oversaw the deportation of LGBT asylum seekers.

2 hours ago, HTG said:

Educating children to understand that people are different - colour, gender, creed, sexuality is absolutely the responsibility of the state. 

Children don't need " educating " on this, they know and learn this through their experiences as they grow.

You sound like Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Is that the first Godwinning in the thread? No bad if we made it 52 pages in.

Tbf I don't have a problem with that invocation a lot of the time as it's a valid comparison to make but laughing at the idea that teaching people that it's fine to be one of the gays is something particularly relevant to Nazi Germany. Or Stalin's Russia for that matter. Maybe he meant Weimar Germany or Lenin's Russia.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I completely agree but remember Theresa May is a religious whack job who supported Section 28 and oversaw the deportation of LGBT asylum seekers.

Very, very true. And there are some proper dinosaurs in that cabinet.

• 1 month later...

The protests Birmingham have continued, with the head teacher receiving threatening messages via phone and email.

Birmingham head teacher threatened over LGBT lessons https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48339080

Birmingham MP Jess Phillips was involved in a heated. Exchange with a protester at the school and a counter demonstration by gay rights campaigners had eggs thrown at it.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Here’s a Twitter thread about this.

Residents homes attacked by balaclava wearing men. It’s like something from Northern Ireland in the 1970s.

Steve Bannon and Poor Tommeh! are winning. Muslim parents had the choice of taking their kids out of these classes anyway, but some people have bought the Right's angle that it's a Cultural War, and are going for it, especially after New Zealand and Poor Tommeh!'s thugs stirring it up. What a fucking shitfest.

Steve Bannon and Poor Tommeh! are winning. Muslim parents had the choice of taking their kids out of these classes anyway, but some people have bought the Right's angle that it's a Cultural War, and are going for it, especially after New Zealand and Poor Tommeh!'s thugs stirring it up. What a fucking shitfest.

I don’t think that this is happening because of Steve Bannon and Tommy Robinson at all. These lessons were introduced recently, that’s why the protests have started now.

Apparently 600 pupils were withdrawn from lessons this week at the affected primary school. The head of Birmingham council have said that they might introduce an exclusion zone for protests outside the school. The only time I’ve heard of that before in this country is around abortion clinics and the Holy Cross primary school dispute in Northern Ireland about 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...