Scotland First Country To Introduce LGBT Lessons

AsimButtHitsASix

Just now, craigkillie said:

You don't get a degree in anything from school.

No. But it can help set you up for a degree when you leave. The purpose of school is to teach you the required building blocks in order to go on and achieve what you want to achieve when you leave.

It's purpose isn't to tell people what they should or shouldn't like or think.

Too many people in this country talk about how other places are a "backwater" when the reality is, this place is as much of one as any. And these schools are now complicit, as is anyone staying silent about it while knowing it's happening.

The role of school education in a child's life is much broader than that. Schools have to provide an academic education to students in things like maths, English, science and the arts, educate them in general life skills via things like home economics, PE and technical and also further their social and moral development via things like RE, social education, sex education and other similar classes.

You need to have all of those things to operate in society as a normal functioning human being. For a subject like RE (at my school at least), it wasn't about telling children that they should follow a particular religion, but rather about providing information about a variety of religions and their practices. Sex education (incorporating LGBT) is the same - you are teaching children about sex, relationships and everything associated with that, and it would be very strange given the society we live in if that didn't include a discussion about LGBT topics.

Having LGBT education isn't going to suddenly make kids gay, but it might make life easier for the ones that are.

25 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

No. But it can help set you up for a degree when you leave. The purpose of school is to teach you the required building blocks in order to go on and achieve what you want to achieve when you leave.

This is a massive, massive pile of shite. 

Having an understanding of diversity, whether it be culturally, sexually or otherwise has done me far more good in the workplace than any degree.
Also, providing information isn’t telling people what they should or shouldn’t like.

2 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

BawWatchin has been trolling this thread pretty consistently. Wouldn't worry too much about anything he says.

This. Why are morons still responding to him?

10 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Having an understanding of diversity, whether it be culturally, sexually or otherwise has done me far more good in the workplace than any degree.
Also, providing information isn’t telling people what they should or shouldn’t like.

So being told what opinions to have regarding sexuality and gender roles is more important than the ability to do your job properly? Got ya.

16 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

So being told what opinions to have regarding sexuality and gender roles is more important than the ability to do your job properly? Got ya.

Being told it's none of your business is. And being treated equally if you're a child of LGBT parents with a miniscule part of lessons devoted to this stuff. Don't think an opt out for protesting parents' children would do much harm, they'd hear anything juicy in the playground.

26 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

I don't think it's anything to do with ' being told what opinions to have'.  Certainly, for my three weans, it has always been about awareness and acceptance.  I see nothing objectionable here.

1 minute ago, DublinMagyar said:
17 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
I don't think it's anything to do with ' being told what opinions to have'.  Certainly, for my three weans, it has always been about awareness and acceptance.  I see nothing objectionable here.

Unless they're 'Kafflik'?

Cheap posting, M50.