Annan v Cowden

Yes it was. Initially I thought he took the wrong option but in the end he was unlucky.

I had a mild concern at that point we might have spurned the chance to kill the game and pay the price but it turned out well in the end.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic 3 points for the club whilst results also went our way too. 

The only way is up and the players can be encouraged to look up towards the top end of the table as we are in an excellent position just now only behind 6,8 points from 4th and 3rd. 

Really pleased for everyone connected to the club. 

6 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

How's it going, Drifter?

Wonderful, thanks Ron. As mentioned in earlier posts, I've had a smile on my face all the way home - and the three newbies that made up five of the Cowden Reds support absolutely loved it. My first win of the season, first ever away win and, unbelievably, all of the United fans I've brought along since last season can boast a debut victory.

A great and solid effort by the team, with Davie Cox an inspiration, and an absolute joy being directly  behind the nets where the two goals were scored. And Annan were great hosts and humble in defeat at the end, despite my solo ballooning when the ball hit the net. Great day all-round and the table doesn't look too bad tonight.

Well done the Coos

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

Wonderful, thanks Ron. As mentioned in earlier posts, I've had a smile on my face all the way home - and the three newbies that made up five of the Cowden Reds support absolutely loved it. My first win of the season, first ever away win and, unbelievably, all of the United fans I've brought along since last season can boast a debut victory.

A great and solid effort by the team, with Davie Cox an inspiration, and an absolute joy being directly  behind the nets where the two goals were scored. And Annan were great hosts and humble in defeat at the end, despite my solo ballooning when the ball hit the net. Great day all-round and the table doesn't look too bad tonight.

Well done the Coos

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

Well done the Coos

Just back, David - so pleased you and your new recruits had a great day out, with a solid victory that we can build on. you're bringing us luck! Go well, Ron.

Hmm, pregame optimism about lack of goals conceded replaced by post game concern about lack of goals scored - only 2 in the past month, and 1 of them was against a midtable Highland League side. 

Plenty of possession in decent areas but seemed to be a real reluctance to take a shot. From a Cowden point of view you would say that it was due to good defending, they blocked or charged down a fair few so maybe made Annan think twice when it looked like there was a shot on.

As the game went on it looked like it could go either way, but Cowden took their chances. It was a great strike for the second goal and the one off the bar looked like it was gonna be a cracker too. A really good away performance.

For Annan, must do better. Tony Wallace was unusually ineffective as was Max Wright, I would like to have seen Smith on earlier and Fergusson on at all. Interesting to see who starts up top next week.

We went with 3 at the back again and got another win - surely Bollan can now see that's the formation we need to be playing going forward. Deas was outstanding and won absolutely everything.

First half was a bit flat but we came out for the second half and went for it. The game became very open but we took our chances and Annan didn't. Good win.

21 minutes ago, gogsy said:

That might be the case, even allowing for a certain bias (it is Annan tv after all) the highlights show a hell of a lot of Annan chances in the box and a Cowdenbeath team defending a fair bit. Annan cant have been as poor as the_pit_owns claims?

Well from what has been shown, Annan should have scored six or seven. Was that the case?

I have been agitating for Talbot and Fraser to play.They both play and hey presto we win. In fact Talbot looked a bit shaky to start with but came good when the pressure was on near the end. Fraser hardly had a kick of the ball and cut a very frustrated figure when subbed.  I don't blame him at all as he hardly got  a pass from a team mate all game. Players with time and space  (Miller and Malcolm especially )were simply booting the ball upfield without even looking. That has to be addressed. Fortunately our keeper and defence were in top form. Skelly played like a man determined to take his chance and had a great effort as well as the decisive goal It gives us another option. Cox was, well Cox. Suspensions will be kicking in soon , so we're going to need our full squad.

I have been agitating for Talbot and Fraser to play.They both play and hey presto we win. In fact Talbot looked a bit shaky to start with but came good when the pressure was on near the end. Fraser hardly had a kick of the ball and cut a very frustrated figure when subbed.  I don't blame him at all as he hardly got  a pass from a team mate all game. Players with time and space  (Miller and Malcolm especially )were simply booting the ball upfield without even looking. That has to be addressed. Fortunately our keeper and defence were in top form. Skelly played like a man determined to take his chance and had a great effort as well as the decisive goal It gives us another option. Cox was, well Cox. Suspensions will be kicking in soon , so we're going to need our full squad.

Think I read Fraser is suspended for QP game.
Shame as he’s really settled into RB position IMO

On 11/11/2018 at 20:52, The_Pit_Owns said:

Extremely biased highlights package and not reflectively of the game. Annan were poor.

Skelly curling the ball off the crossbar doesn't make the cut...

I've defended the boy doing the highlights when someone said something similar earlier in the season, - he's very young, obviously a volunteer and new to the role... but, he's been doing it a few months now and nothing's changed. His choice of edits are weird and it's not just bias, he didn't show Chris Johnston's shot off the bar at Hampden last week either.

I wouldn't wanna discourage the boy though, something is better than nothing and he's quick at getting footage online. Hopefully he learns and improves as the season goes on.

15 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Miller played right back a few seasons back and played well,  Pyper not for me.

I've not seen him play right back since he was torn to shreds at Stenhousemuir years and years ago.  Still get nightmares about that performance.

Archived